Doctorinal Question: JWs teach Jesus is Micheal the Arc Angel.....

by Lady Liberty 72 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear friends,

I have a question for you..

The JWs teach Jesus is Micheal the Arc Angel right? Okay then, how do they explain John 1:1? Wether or not you believe Jesus was God or Jesus was A god, the fact of the matter is that the JWs acknowledge that that verse is identifying Jesus as a god. So here is my question...according to the JWs..is Jesus a god or a Angel?? You cannot be both can you??

Second question...for those who do not believe in the Trinity...the Bible says there is only one true God..then does that make Jesus a false god?? Because John 1:1 definately says he is a god. The debate is wether he is THE God, or A god..still if he is not THE God..does that make him a false god??

(Just to clarify..I a still out to lunch on the Trinity doctorine although there sure are an aweful lot of scriptures that seem to support it...and I do not believe Jesus is Micheal the Arc Angel....however, I am trying to look at all angles before I decide what I am going to believe).

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Hey LadyLiberty!

Good question. I don't know if it will help to consider if angels ( translating the word angel into the word "messenger") can be gods. Can messengers be gods? Seems to me that messengers would follow orders of a god. In the book of revelation, didn't Jesus send an angel to John with the revelation message?

LRG

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Little Rock Guy,

Thank you for replying. Good point! I still have much research left to do..

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• RR
    RR

John 1:1 simpky refers to Jesus as theos.

Theos is also used to describe humans in the Bible, so your case falls flat.

BTW ... JW's are not the only ones who believed that Jesus was Michael. Bible Students, Seventh-Day Adventist and some prominent scholars also believed this.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear RR,

I have no case...I am simply trying to look at the scripture from all angles, and yesterday I was reading here and there, different scriptures and came up with this question...NOT theory.

That being said..John 1:1 says that the Word was with God correct? At that part of the text is the translation for God theos as well?? Just curious. Like I said I still have a lot of research yet to do..

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• RR
    RR

Actually, John 1:1 in the Greek tells us "in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with HO THEOS (The God), and the Word was THEOS (god). So there is a distinction between THE God and God or god.

Some translations say and the word was divine or godlike

RR

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear RR,

Interesting...thank you for that.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

in hebrew it says that the ELOHIM created the heavens and the earth...and that YHWH or Jehovah was the El Elohim, or the Head elohim, not the ONLY elohim... passages like Isaiah and Jeremiah contrast the entire Elohim with the false Elohim or other god[s]. Michael = who is like El? or the El like one, is called the great prince who stands for Daniels people, the one who will STAND UP [ a term meaning take kingship] in the last days... and Matt 24 parallels what Daniel says when Michael stands up only with Jesus in place of Michael. there were those in the early church who saw these parallels too... and said that Michael was the Captain of YHWH's army, the ANGEL of the LORD [or YHWH] etc. many trinitarians also identify this ANGEL OF YHWH with Jesus. JWs are also doing here what trinitarians do and what JWs accuse them of doing wrongly, namely seeing parallels and making up an answer that the bible no where gives. no where in the bible does it say that YHWH and JESUS are the same being, but trinitarians claim this, and no where does it say that Michael and Jesus are the same being and JWs among others claim this. there are lots of verses which show that Jesus is not YHWH and also some that imply that Jesus is not Michael either. it seems that at least none of the disciple of Jesus were aware of this connection otherwise they would not speak of Michael without making it plain they were speaking about Jesus which they never did, though they had several opportunities.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

in hebrew it says that the ELOHIM created the heavens and the earth...and that YHWH or Jehovah was the El Elohim, or the Head elohim, not the ONLY elohim... passages like Isaiah and Jeremiah contrast the entire Elohim with the false Elohim or other god[s]. Michael = who is like El? or the El like one, is called the great prince who stands for Daniels people, the one who will STAND UP [ a term meaning take kingship] in the last days... and Matt 24 parallels what Daniel says when Michael stands up only with Jesus in place of Michael. there were those in the early church who saw these parallels too... and said that Michael was the Captain of YHWH's army, the ANGEL of the LORD [or YHWH] etc. many trinitarians also identify this ANGEL OF YHWH with Jesus. JWs are also doing here what trinitarians do and what JWs accuse them of doing wrongly, namely seeing parallels and making up an answer that the bible no where gives. no where in the bible does it say that YHWH and JESUS are the same being, but trinitarians claim this, and no where does it say that Michael and Jesus are the same being and JWs among others claim this. there are lots of verses which show that Jesus is not YHWH and also some that imply that Jesus is not Michael either. it seems that at least none of the disciple of Jesus were aware of this connection otherwise they would not speak of Michael without making it plain they were speaking about Jesus which they never did, though they had several opportunities.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear the dreamer dreaming,

Thank you for your reply. You make a interesting point as well.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit