DEAD JW MOTHER HUSBAND TO SUE HOSPITAL

by badboy 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Enjoying freedom
    Enjoying freedom

I agree with Prefect - you cannot cite The Sun or News of the World as necessarily containing all the correct factual details on a matter, but the comments from readers do give you a feel for how people in general are taking this news.

The phrases "cranky religion", "religion kills" and "he needs a brain transfusion" are used frequently amongst people who have posted comments on The Sun website.

I bet the JW field ministry is going to be extraordinarily difficult from now on!

Good!

Enjoying freedom

• Scully
    Scully

Well, isn't that strange.

Doesn't the Advance Medical Directive specifically state that neither the patient nor their survivors will hold the hospital or the medical staff responsible in the event of death when the patient refuses blood transfusion in compliance with their JW belief system?

I'm betting the bloke is waking up to the reality of having to raise a set of twins without a mother, and the Friends™ in the congregation have left him high and dry.

• Gill
    Gill

Scully - We all know how long this kind of help will last.....only as long as he remains totally obedient to the local elders.

The minute helping him interferes with meetings, FS, he doesn't go out in FS enough, he says anything out of line, does anything out of line etc, the help will be dropped.

Help was conditional on his wife refusing blood, and his continuing to tow the line.

JW friendship is conditional and valueless!

This young man is going to find out the hard way that he allowed his wife to die for nothing and I wouldn't want to be him when this dawns on him.

Having said that,I wouldn't want to be a memeber of the HLC committee, Elders or WT Society who pressured him into allowing her to die!

Sometimes, if we could just step back in time, just for a few minutes, how different our worlds would be!

I don't think he would be stupid enough to try to sue the hospital...but if he did, it might well break him if he starts to follow the line of reasoning of the hospital defense!

• blondie
    blondie

So where was the HLC to advise him on his choices? Considering so many jws have not even signed the ADM-POA, I can believe that the average jw is totally unprepared regarding their "scriptural" choices when they hit the hospital.

• flipper
    flipper

The reprehensibility and accountability of the watchtower society in duping their members to sign a waiver of responsibility to not sue hospital officials for blood transfusions gone wrong , is a passing of the legal buck to the members themselves. It is another form of the witnesses cult mind control in action ! Poor husband. Poor motherless children. And for what? Totally disgusts me

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.watchtower.org/e/hb/article_04.htm

RELIEVING LEGAL CONCERNS

You may wonder, 'Why are some doctors and hospitals quick to get a court order to give blood?' In some places a common reason is fear of liability.

There is no basis for such concern when Jehovah's Witnesses choose nonblood management. A doctor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine (U.S.A.) writes: "Most [Witnesses] readily sign the American Medical Association form relieving physicians and hospitals of liability, and many carry a Medical Alert [card]. A properly signed and dated 'Refusal to Accept Blood Products' form is a contractual agreement and is legally binding."—Anesthesiology News, October 1989.

Yes, Jehovah's Witnesses cooperatively offer legal assurance that a physician or hospital will not incur liability in providing requested nonblood therapy. As recommended by medical experts, each Witness carries a Medical Document card. This is renewed annually and is signed by the person and by witnesses, often his next of kin.

In March 1990, the Supreme Court of Ontario, Canada, upheld a decision that commented approvingly on such a document: "The card is a written declaration of a valid position which the card carrier may legitimately take in imposing a written restriction on [the] contract with the doctor." In Medicinsk Etik (1985), Professor Daniel Andersen wrote: "If there is an unambiguous written statement from the patient saying that he is one of Jehovah's Witnesses and does not want blood under any circumstances, respect for the patient's autonomy requires that this wish be respected, just as if it had been expressed orally."

Witnesses will also sign hospital consent forms. One used at a hospital in Freiburg, Germany, has space where the physician can describe the information he gave the patient about the treatment. Then, above the signatures of the physician and the patient, this form adds: "As a member of the religious body of Jehovah's Witnesses, I categorically refuse the use of foreign blood or blood components during my surgery. I am aware that the planned and needed procedure thus has a higher risk due to bleeding complications. After receiving thorough explanation particularly about that, I request that the needed surgery be performed without using foreign blood or blood components."—Herz Kreislauf, August 1987.

Actually, nonblood management may have a lower risk. But the point here is that Witness patients happily relieve any needless concerns so that medical personnel can move forward in doing what they are committed to do, helping people get well. This cooperation benefits all, as Dr. Angelos A. Kambouris showed in "Major Abdominal Operations on Jehovah's Witnesses":

"Preoperative agreement should be viewed as binding by the surgeon and should be adhered to regardless of events developing during and after operation. [This] orients the patients positively toward their surgical treatment, and diverts the surgeon's attention from the legal and philosophical considerations to the surgical and technical ones, thus, allowing him to perform optimally and serve his patient's best interests."—The American Surgeon, June 1987.

• Gill
    Gill

This] orients the patients positively toward their surgical treatment, and diverts the surgeon's attention from the legal and philosophical considerations to the surgical and technical ones, thus, allowing him to perform optimally and serve his patient's best interests.

Surely, it can never be in the patient's best interest to allow him / her to bleed to death!

Is that not just common sense....or did I miss something.

These cases must come to law! This cannot be allowed to continue. JWs can scream 'persecution' as much as they want, but at least those who find themselves in potentially fatal bleeding situations will be alive to scream it!

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

child birth is a HAPPY thing, something so happy has turned into a sad affair. why? it's not 600 years ago, women don't have babies at home anylonger. they go to hospitals these days. to make small troubles like this a thing of the past (child/mother mortality). BUT NO THE WTS WANTS TO LIVE in the generation before 1914. and let thier followers die. if the hlc was to be put into jail /trial for what they do .IT WOULD END FAST... TILL THEN THIS WILL CONTINUE. just like the wt paying tax for selling mag's, it's all about how much the gov'ts wiill let the wt get away with. NEW LAWS MEAN NEW LIGHT. JOHN

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I understand the same as you, SouthAfricanBeef. The FIRST thing that sprang to my mind upon reading this though (and please stone me if you think necessary, lol) is how can a 24 year old, uneducated dub (the widower) know enough to understand/have enough knowledge to consider suing?

• Gayle
    Gayle

This tragic loss shows how lulled JWs truly are about what can happen with the WTS stance on the blood issue. The Society mostly only discusses examples of people who don't take blood and were fortunate that nothing critically happened so those people 'lived happily ever after.' JWs have a false sense security on this blood issue. Believe me, the Governing Body feel no personal ache, strife, anxiety, or personal responsibility for this young family loss and long term pain and burden.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit