Dating a df girl who wants to go back - Do I have a chance?

by mrburns 17 Replies latest social relationships

• eclipse
    eclipse
    If the truth is in her Heart you can't and will not get her ideas changed.

That is the best definition of someone who is brainwashed.

• Vinny
    Vinny

http://p196.ezboard.com/Letter-of-disassociation/fexjehovahswitnessforumfrm14.showMessage?topicID=237.topic

I was a JW for over 15 years. I was an elder and had no complaints until I learned things that I hade never know before. Here is my story detailing specifically why I had to walk away. I was not disfellowshipped but left due to what I had learned.

http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/message_list.asp?pageID=5&discussionID=551493&messages_per_page=4

http://p196.ezboard.com/What-should-I-title-my-life-story-my-life-story-reposted/fexjehovahswitnessforumfrm14.showMessage?topicID=326.topic

http://p196.ezboard.com/I-Colored-Outside-the-LinesMy-Story/fexjehovahswitnessforumfrm14.showMessage?topicID=298.topic

Tell her that it is important to YOU that she at least hear and look at some of these real world, sincere and recent accounts.

If she is completely unwilling to even consider examining these or similar stories, then I am afraid you are likely DEAD IN THE WATER.

It would be a good idea to start making mental plans to beging a new chapter rather soon.

Vinny

• mrburns
    mrburns

Thank you all for your assistance and help. I just have one more question. I see references all over these boards to previous JW publications teaching things contradictory to today's teachings. Are there ways for a person to go back and find these items using JW reference materials, or have most of these contradictions been expunged Orwell style since that time?

• penny2
    penny2
    Are there ways for a person to go back and find these items using JW reference materials

Yes, if you know where to look. JWs produce a CD called "Watchtower Library" - the latest version being from 2006. Most JWs have a copy. This CD library includes all issues of the Watchtower magazine from 1975 - 2006 plus other publications.

If you do a search under the topic "1975" you will find references to predictions about 1975. In the 1960s and early 1970s, JWs believed that "Armageddon" would occur by 1975, with Jehovah's Witnesses being the only survivors. Their publications made indirect references to this belief. You can find examples of this on the CD by checking references from Watchtower magazines of 1968 - 1970.

If you do a search under the topic "generation", you will find comments like the following, from Watchtower of 15 May 1984:

Revelation 17:16 indicates that radical political elements within the United Nations (the "scarlet-colored wild beast") will hate the religious harlot and devastate her. Already, powerful atheistic and antireligious elements in the UN have taken steps to stamp out religion within their domain. But more drastic action is expected in the near future when these political elements devastate not only Christendom but also the other great religious systems. Logically, the anti-God forces will also attack Jehovah’s Witnesses who faithfully proclaim God’s Kingdom. This will be tantamount to attacking God himself and will provoke retaliation—God’s war of Armageddon!—Revelation 17:3, 12-16; 16:14-16; Ezekiel 38:10-12, 18-23; Zechariah 2:8.
    From a purely human viewpoint, it could appear that these developments could hardly take place before the generation of 1914 disappears from the scene. But fulfillment of all the foretold events affecting the generation of 1914 does not depend on comparatively slow human action. Jehovah’s prophetic word through Christ Jesus is: "This generation [of 1914] will by no means pass away until all things occur." (Luke 21:32) And Jehovah, who is the source of inspired and unfailing prophecy, will bring about the fulfillment of his Son’s words in a relatively short time.—Isaiah 46:9, 10; 55:10, 11.

In other words, JWs at the time, believed that some who were alive in 1914 would still be alive when the United Nations would destroy religion and try to attack JWs, then Jehovah would start Armageddon and the only survivors would be JWs.

This belief was changed in 1995 when it was obvious that the generation of 1914 was dying out.

There are websites such as www.jwfacts.com - this has a section on "Changed Teachings".

Hope this is helpful.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

Vinny,

Thanks for those links. Ive found out by this site and the internet that I'm not the only one who has seen things that disturb or bother me. Questionable behavior by some in the cong, and yes appearances and social status in life are very important. Things I thought we were trying not to be is what I saw people being.

As to the subject of the thread, hmmmm if she was raised in the truth then it'll be hard. It's all some people know.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader
    I feel like I let her down in pulling her into the so called "worldly" existence

Basically all of us and including your girlfriend, people do what they want to do.

Welcome and no you probably dont have a chance, but be patient and know that when you make your descision, it was based on patience and understanding instead of jumping the gun. But it will be harder as your emotions continue to get caught up.

abr

• harleau
    harleau

You will probably get broken up with anyway when she goes back to the truth. She has to be pleasing in the eyes of Jehovah. So, I would suggest ending it now and allowing her a clean break and the opportunity to do what is right.

• JK666
    JK666

Welcome to JWD!

Sorry to tell you this, but if she wants to go back it is a lost cause. RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit