Must JWs Confirm They're JWs?

by Simon G Best 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon G Best
    Simon G Best

Hello!

I'm new here :-)

I was just wondering. Is there some sort of doctrine, or belief, principle, rule or whatever, that says that Jehovah's Witnesses, when asked, must confirm that they're Jehovah's Witnesses? (One possible basis for such a rule, that comes to mind, is the bit about Peter denying Jesus three times before the cock crowed.)

For example, let's suppose I suspected that someone I sort of knew was a Jehovah's Witness, and that I wanted to know whether or not they actually were. I could ask, of course. If I was to ask, "Are you a Jehovah's Witness?", and if they actually were a Jehovah's Witness, would they be obliged to tell me that they are? Or might they, as a matter of "theocratic war strategy" (or whatever), "hide the truth" from me? Or might they, of course, just decline to answer?

:-)

Simon

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

There's nothing in the current dogma that would insist on their telling the truth - the "new light" on "theocratic warfare" gives the easy out, and the example of sanctioned bribery supports this new view. They would possibly be applauded for lying to you to see if they could trap an apostate.

Too bad this way of thinking didn't allow folks to avoid WWII concentraion camps or persecution in Malawi.

• Gordy
    Gordy

When I was a JW and was asked if I was I just said "Yes I am"

There is no "rule" say a JW has to or not reveal his status.

But I do know of JW's who kept the fact hidden from workmates and others.

Usually because they didn't want to get into debates with workmates etc.

Especially these days when youhave pedophile cases involving JW's and the recent case of the young mother dying because of refusing a blood transfusion. I can betthat some will be keeping their heads down.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have to disagree with the tone of the previous two posters ..I would say that to deny the faith would be a serious "sin" on the part of a Witness :

w73 2/15 p. 104 Why Does "Faith in the Name" of Jesus Christ Bring Life? **

"If we want to be among those showing faith in the name of Christ Jesus so as to be assured of everlasting life, we must also show loyalty to him. We must serve him as the Head of the Christian congregation, faithfully upholding his executive authority and his Kingdom interests. We must be like those Christians in the first-century congregation at Pergamum who, under danger to their lives from those opposing Christ’s Kingdom rule, kept on ‘holding fast his name and did not deny their faith in him,’ and like those in Philadelphia who ‘kept his word and did not prove false to his name.’ (Rev. 2:13; 3:8) Our conduct, both among ourselves and toward those in the world, must be such as will not deny what the name of God’s Son stands for. Even as Christians back then experienced persecution, we can expect the same today, for Jesus foretold: "Then people will deliver you up to tribulation and will kill you, and you will be objects of hatred by all the nations on account of my name."—Matt. 24:9."

Of course there will be times when a dub can make an evasive answer ..but to say "No" would be the same as Peter denying Christ .

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome, we look forward to learning more about your background.

A JW may hide who they are, but it is more likely to be because they are ashamed to admit they are JWs.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

By hiding that you are a witless, or denying it you are by your actions DAing yourself under the old wording:

" X no longer wishes to be identified as one of Jehoobies Witlesses."

In fact you could be DF if the elders wanted to make an example/victim of you.

Of course this begs the question as to why they were allowed to keep it secret in Communist Russia. Isn't it a privilege to die for the faith?

HB

• Rosalee
    Rosalee

Ever hear of ... cautious as serpents ... innocent as doves?

It depends if the person asking has any right to know.

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

It depends if the person asking has any right to know.

Doesn't hurt to ask. I don't believe asking a question is against any laws.

If fact, Rosalee are you one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Bobbi

• Rosalee
    Rosalee

It certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

It doesn't hurt me to ask why I should answer any question you ask of me.

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

The reason this thread is called ... Thanks ... is that my eyes have been opened to what to expect outside my safe haven. I will now view exjw's for what they really are. Not just disgruntled exes but ones who will do anything to dishonor the truth.

So ... thanks a lot ... you've made me see where my loyalties lie.

Rose

You posted the above quote back on September 21, 2007. Why are you still here? What do you want from the board now? Are you looking for validation? I am trying to understand you.

Bobbi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit