I know I'm slow, but help me out on this new 144k thing-ie

by dawg 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Liberty
    Liberty

It's not you dawg, how could any reasonable person keep up with these idiotic Watch Tower flashes of "New Light".

Complete and utter nonsense no matter how you slice it.

First off, there couldn't possibly be any room left now days even if we accepted that the 144,000 was a literal number and bought into the Society's definition. This number would have been filled years ago since Christianity has been around for over 2000 years and out of the millions of believers who were tortured, maimed, and killed for their beliefs I'm not sure why so many modern people who have never faced any persecution worse than a verbal rebuke in the door to door work would be chosen for such an elite club. Also, since so many died horrible and painful deaths and remained faithful to the end how could they need replacing? Even if ol' Jahoobie spaced out the choosing over time why would there be such a huge number chosen in the last 100 years?

As I understand it, the reason that the "earthly hope class (Great Crowd)" was "revealed" is because the Bible Students/JWs began to exceed 144,000 back in the mid 1930's so the Society wasn't even counting the 1st century christians (like original Apostles) and they still exceeeded the number with just 20th century members and had to invent a new class to accomadate them all. Thousands of JW defined "anointed" have already died. We had 5 or 6 of these ancient faithfuls in our small congregation (around 115 members) back in the 1960-70s so multiply that times all the congregations and you are already pushing the envelope not to mention the 8,000 plus still alive. Even if most of them needed replacing it doesn't say much for ol' Jahoobie's ability to read hearts. It just doesn't add up and is more proof that the whole foundation of JW cosmology is pure crap.

• Liberty
    Liberty

I just did a simple rough calculation based on a percentage of the well accepted "anointed" in our congregation and it came out to 360,000 (6% multiplyed by 6,000,000 JWs) even if I'm way off it is clear that there is way too many to make any sense. If a percentage of the crazies who aren't viewed as real had just a small amount of real ones it would be off the scale when added to these other numbers and if the big "A" is postponed another 100 years it just gets even sillier. Since the big "A" is really never coming the numbers will be off the scale as time goes on.

Even if the percentage changed over time I did a 5% at only 4,000,000 and still came out with 200,000...just silly

• JeffT
    JeffT

Dawg, your problem is that that you're trying to understand an explanation of the inexplicable.

The WTBS "two hopes" and their subsequent view of the 144000 makes no sense logically or scripturally. Nothing they do in this regard will make sense to anybody who spends five minutes (or perhaps seconds) thinking about it.

• dawg
    dawg

I appreciate all your replies but I still don't get it... are they now saying they'res no longer going to be a 144K, that the number wasn't literal...

also, not one of you answered about James 5....

• dinah
    dinah

Dawg,

I believe we are supposed to partake as long as we believe Christ died for us and it we want to follow Him. I also think that having only the "annointed" partake shuts up the kingdom of the heavens. Really who says they are "annointed". No one really knows. Having trouble finding the research. It's on the computer with a bad power supply and I can't remember where it was posted online.

I've seen the scripture in James somewhere else in the bible I think. I guess I'm handicapped because I haven't read my bible since hitting a wall about a year ago.

As far as scriptural evidence the Witnesses would use to keep everyone from partaking.......your guess is as good and mine. But I figure such "evidence" is non-existant.

• skeeder
    skeeder
    are they now saying they'res no longer going to be a 144K

August 15, 1996 Watchtower in the following 'Questions From Readers" article.

Questions

FromReaders

The

reportsforsomeyearsshowthatthenumberpartaking

oftheMemorialemblemsincreasedslightly.

Doesthissuggestthatmanynewonesarebeinganointedwithholyspirit?

There is good reason to believe that the number of 144,000 anointed Christians was complete decades ago.

After 1966 until now, if one came to be of the annointed, they were replacing one who had fallen away. Period.

Now , if one comes to be of the annointed, they can be added to the current number without regard to any falling away or dying..

So it leaves it totally open ended when the calling of the 144K will be completed.

But they still hold to the number 144K.

S

• uninformed
    uninformed

They view the number 144,000 as still a literal number, but... at the annual meeting they said that they were imperfect and sometimes incorrect in their understanding (world's greatest understatement) and the comment was made as they were discussing the 144,000. My take is that they are going to change their viewpoint on the literalness of the number and call it new light.

They have to infuse the r and f with something to get everyone back on track again.

Ray Franz took the view 20 years ago that al of JW's were probably of the anointed. Maybe they are finally headed that route.

Brant

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

That is for sure. The WTS is officially holding on to 144,000 as a literal number.. It is so stupid because we all know it is a symbolic number(if you believe in cack)

• yknot
    yknot

Here is a thought maybe the 144,000 are actual Jews from the 12 tribes?

Y

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

"1935- Was it just a coincidence that Carey Barber (b 1905) was dying and that this issue came the following month after his death(Apr 07). He and Barr (b. 1913) were/are the only remaining GB that were both born before 1914 and adults when the 1935 cut-off was announced." That probably explains it. I bet with all of the GB who have died in the past two years thay needed a way to justify inducting more. "I was wondering if there are any opinions on how much longer they have until 1914 needs to be addressed/ adjusted? I mean how long is Jesus' gonna be sitting up there and nothing happening down here?" That one is coming, mark my word on that. 2014 is coming and they will have a PR nightmare even in the organization. Count on some specious and circular logic circa 2012/13. Isaac Carmignani

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit