My opinions of Crisis of Conscience and Awakening

by LongHairGal 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Hello,

I read the two books.

Awakening - This was the story of a married witness woman (elder husband) with family in the religion. She had childbirth/blood RH issues and had to deal with not 'associating' with a disfellowshipped daughter. Throughout the book she wrestles with various issues and suffers mental anguish jumping through hoops because of the religion. She later decides to leave the religion. I confess that she was a JW who tried to do everything 'right' and she was a far better witness than I ever was. This was a fast read.

Crisis - This was a harder read but definitely necessary to get insight about what goes on inside behind the closed doors in secret. It blows their 'holy' mystique away. It exposes them the way they have to be exposed. The reason I say it was a harder read is because you have to read about the history of the organization. While some may find this interesting it bores me but I read through those parts anyway. Some of these facts are things I once heard about vaguely but forgot. His style of writing is not emotional or vindictive and in some cases his important points are actually understatements. He reprints letters that were sent back and forth, etc.

You definitely get the impression that he was railroaded because he said the 'wrong' things. Even though he was not a 'troublemaker' per se, he feels that they still wanted him out. It was sad to see how his friends, loyal for many years, were disfellowshipped. In the end he shows how religious organization can be bad. Even though I always felt that an organization was bad, this book spells out exactly how it is bad. You see cronyism and people who are intimidated. He points out that all organizations want to protect their existence and will crush any threat or opposition. (I feel this way about governments also.) It almost seems as though Bethel in those days was like a communist regime where people were afraid to talk and were arrested. It didn't matter what you said to defend yourself, because your accusers said witnesses (who were frequently anonymous) quoted you as saying certain things. I confess that it made me sick to read these things but I feel it was necessary and I am glad I did. Too bad the average JW doesn't know about this.

I recommend reading them.

LHG

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

LHG,

Do you recommend reading these books? My sister and I left at the same time, last month. Neither of us knew that the other was leaving. I wanted to buy C of C for her and myself.

Thanks,

momzcrazy

• dawg
    dawg

My cousin refused to read it, I asked him "you won't read a book, that's what your telling me". He said, "not a book written by apostates". I asked him how he knew for a fact that what the GB was telling him was true if he refused to hear the other side of the story... He said he knew they were right, and I told him that was typical of a JW, to not know the facts yet know they have the truth....he saidI was going to die at armageddon, You've done what the Bible tells you to do he is wasted away in Jehovah witness land and will never know the truth if he doesn't change his course.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Do you recommend reading these books?

C of C is a must read for anyone that has left the borg...

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

What a great gift for our first Xmas, huh?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have the Crisis of Conscience book, and it highlights what goes on in the Governing Body. They have a lot of bickering to get those two-thirds majorities (which often amount to much more than that) in order to effect changes. It also contains Raymond's stories of sacrifices and the Malawi/Mexico inequity. Definitely, once you read that book, you will not be likely to want to be a Witless anymore.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I would like to get just ONE honest answer to just ONE question from the Watchtower Society's Service Department...

How many inquiries have you fielded in the past 20 years that involved 'Crisis of Conscience' authored by Raymond Franz?

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

C O C is a dangerous book for ANY JW. It's amazing how almost all of have had our mentality changed by this book. I preferred ISOCF by Franz, although it was much larger. I would suggest COC for any ex JW leaving. Simply the best book you will ever read to help open your mind about the dubs.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I've got to be honest, I got about 2/3 of the way through C of C and gave up, it is an extremely dull read if you are already sold on the organisation being a sack of crap. For those that are still brainwashed, I think this is an interesting piece of work that will shake their faith in the old men of Brooklyn but I am not sure that anyone still brainwashed would actually read it.

I actually think that reading the experiences of people here on this forum (apart from the hate filled nut jobs) is much more likely to sow seeds of doubt that C of C.

• ronin1
    ronin1

C & C and In Search of Christian Freedom are "must read" books for anyone who has left the organization.

Ronin1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit