Stockpiling Food Where Does One Start?

by uwishufish 39 Replies latest jw friends

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

Any ideas or sugestions

All comments welcomed Pro or Con

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Depends on what you want to stockpile it for.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

did you mean for how long a period or what cause ?

1yr+ any dissaster you will always need to share.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I would start with canned goods.

A caveat: Don't let too many people know about it.

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'd start with a yearling steer calf.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Ok, I would start with water, canned goods and toliet paper, dont' want to run out of either. If you have the means to stockpile for 1year+, best to go to a wholesale bulk retailer I would think.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I wouldn't call this "stockpiling" but I always have at least a full months supply of food, usually more. I keep my freezer filled. If I see soaps, deoderant, etc selling for a good price I'll buy several. It's not that I'm preparing for a disaster, I just hate having to run out to the store because I've run out of something. I want shopping to be an option, not a necessity if I'm sick, laid up with my perpetual bad back, or just too lazy to get off my butt and go to the mall.

W

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

I've begun a list of catagories of supplies 18 so far

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

canned food -stuff that can easily be warmed up. Canned mushroom soup; clam chowder etc

• BrentR
    BrentR

We have just regular canned goods that are stored in a ziplock bag to prevent rust. For dry bulk foods we buy the 5 ga buckets with the product sealed in a nitrogen mylar bag. The lids on the buckets have a threaded insert so you do not have to mangle the bucket lid each time you open it.

My philosophy is the more prepared you are the less likely you will ever need it. It's reverse Murphy's law.

Essential Supplies has a huge assortment of food storage items and ideas.

http://beprepared.com/quickshoplist.asp_Q_c_E_79_A_name_E_Superpails

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit