Stockpiling Food Where Does One Start?

by uwishufish 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Try www.beprepared.com. "Emergency Essentials" is a Utah company, and those Mormons really know what they're doing.

Clyde and I order a lot of dried foods from them. We have a generator to run our well, so we won't run out of water. The website has recipes on how to cook with their products. It's important to date and rotate your supplies.

As Clyde says, "Better a year too soon than a day too late."

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    The Berkey ceramic water filter is a good one and is gravity fed. Katedyn also makes some good ones but niether of them are cheap. Most hot water tanks have 30-40 gallons of water but you have to know where the drain spout is at to use it w/o water pressure. Older toilet tanks hold around 5 gallons also.

I'm talking about hand held ones for camping. There is a also some 5$ straws that filter water that are good for one person for about 1 year.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    No more than a weeks worth, more than that and your a nut.

I'm a nut because 5go, the quintessential authority on nuts, says so.

W

• BrentR
    BrentR

This "nut" here was able to help several people last year after our huge windstorm took out the power to over a million houses.

I also wore a helmet back when I rode a motorcycle and before it was state law. Call me a pessimist but the one truth I have learned in life is shit happens. And when it does it hurts the least prepared the most.

• 5go
    5go
    I'm a nut because 5go, the quintessential authority on nuts, says so.

Takes one to know one(yes I am aware I just called myself a nut)

I am saying a weeks worth of food is plenty for your run of the mill food supply upset. Water at least where I live is to easy to come by so keeping bottles is a waist. Though If you live in a desert two weeks supply would be a good idea you need water way more than food. If your supplies are upset longer than a week then you really should just leave the area.

BTW If you live in a flood prone area don't even bother stockpiling anything most likely it will be destroyed in the disaster.

• 5go
    5go
    The Berkey ceramic water filter is a good one and is gravity fed. Katedyn also makes some good ones but niether of them are cheap. Most hot water tanks have 30-40 gallons of water but you have to know where the drain spout is at to use it w/o water pressure. Older toilet tanks hold around 5 gallons also.

Why not just make a still. It atleast has some extra advantages.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I don’t stockpile food. I do, however, stockpile ammunition, preferably .45ACP and .223. It should come in handy in killing food or forcefully taking food, which ever I feel appropriate considering my circumstances.

• BrentR
    BrentR
    Why not just make a still.

I have two of them but they put a huge drain on the generator so I got the Berkey filter. So that does free them up for other purposes.

We had a moderate quake about four years ago and this is a pic of our well water afterwards. It smelled like Yellowstone and it took five days to clear up. A Brita filter did little to clean it up so I went out and bought two distillers.

alt

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

The first thing that came to mind in answer to the question of what food to stockpile was CHOCOLATE!

Seriously, though, water is the most important and is often overlooked. As far as food goes, tuna, canned soups and veggies, and even those protein shakes or protein bars, which are easy to store and usually vitamin-enriched.

What are we storing up for? Armageddon? I hear it's just around the corner!

GGG

• BrentR
    BrentR

I can't speak for anyone else but where I live has the potential for a 9.0 quake with a sunami. A 9.0 may not be global armageddon but it will screw up the Pacific Northwest real bad for a long time. Most people around here either are not aware of the threat or refuse to even talk about it.

http://www.ess.washington.edu/SEIS/PNSN/HAZARDS/CASCADIA/cascadia_zone.html

And we all know that FEMA will be here in minutes and have everyone taken care without any problems. Or maybe not! Either the fear can control you or you can take control of the fear by being prepared.

Then there are the volcanoes here that could bury all the major cities and ports with a lahar (volcanic mud flow).

Those of you living in the central states have the new Madrid fault zone to be aware of also. It's 90% likely a quake will happen in the next forty years. The building are older and not subject to quake resistant codes as are the west coast ones.

http://www.hsv.com/genlintr/newmadrd/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit