Neat thing happened last nite...

by CaptainSchmideo 27 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

That's a good story.

Sylvia

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

What a beautiful story and it just goes to show, great things to happen, completely out of the blue.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Great! I was in the jazz band in junior high and high school.

I just loved it.

There is a place for him in music somewhere.

Go for it, kid, and don't give up.................ever.

Warlock

• horrible life
    horrible life

Captain, Your son is wonderful!!! I misread what you wrote, and I clicked on the link. I thought it was a CD from the band from last night. LOL I bought a CD from a small jazz band, I saw at the Adams Mark in Dallas. Then I reread your post. Lots of talent. My daughter plays clarinet, and bass clarinet, and is learning tenor sax. She is good, but your son is awesome.

Is he going to the state competition? Was he in it last year? My daughter made it to District Band this year, missed out on trying out for the State Competition by just one. But she was on cloud 9 for being chosen for District. She wanted to play in the jazz band this year also, but scheduling didn't allow. But her computer teacher allows them to go join the jazz band class, if they finish their work. So my daughter and another boy, hurry and finished, and would run to the band room.

Run. The principle laughs at them, he says he has never see the likes. But.... alas,,,, her love of jazz band is dying. She now has a boyfriend, and she would rather work on other homework, to save time at home, so she can squeak in some time to talk to him, in the evenings. DAMN BOYS!!!!!!!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Nice one!

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

HL :

If you are talking about CODA, yeah, we had the tryouts this past Saturday, but unfortunately, he didn't make the cut. (Aaaah, who needs that frou frou Chamber Music anyway...We want Jazz!) It's a downer, but the bright spot is that his schedule won't be nearly as busy now. This all happened on the same day, so he got a needed ego boost when he met this other band at the restaurant.

I hope he doesn't lose his desire to play music once the hormones kick in. It's hard enough to peel him away from "Guitar Hero II" to get his regular homework done.

Maybe I sound like an old JW poop. I won't discourage an interest in girls, but it's going to be awhile before he starts "dating". Too many distractions!

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo
    My daughter plays clarinet, and bass clarinet, and is learning tenor sax

.My son had to pick up Tenor Sax so that he could be in Jazz band this year (no room for Clarinet, can you believe that? Tell Artie Shaw that clarinet is only a "Dixieland Band" instrument" like his band teacher once said.)

The Jazz teacher says that they are going to try to find an arrangement that has clarinet. If they can't find it, I'll be happy to come up with about 5 selections right off the top of my head.

My biggest frustration with School band is the waste of time within the program. The first nine weeks is emphasis on the Football program (simple simon tunes), so no serious work begins until well into the year. Plus, this Band teacher has a tendency to ramble on about OU football during class time (according to what my son tells me).

• horrible life
    horrible life

That is why my daughter had to pick up tenor sax also!!! I have always thought of clarinet as being a jazz instrument.

Yes, the competitions were this last Saturday. I can't believe he didn't make it. What grade is he in? Did he at least make it to his district? But....

you are in a huge area, with 4A schools probably. We are in rural, and small schools. HUGE difference. You have the best of the best, and the private lesson kids, playing since they were little.

A young man from my town, was the most awesome sax player, I have ever seen graduated last year. Made Last chair at OSU this year. He said everybody is better than him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit