Governing Body on Higher Education Gerrit Lösch Talk

by Magick 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Magick
    Magick

"If you are currently going to college, why don't you currently meditate in prayer on the possibility of dropping out and doing something better?"

"What decisions will you make? Will you refuse or not? Will you get a university education or not? You will be accountable to Jehovah for this.

We would like to praise those in the audience who dropped out of college when they accepted the Truth, as we praise all those, who after listening to this talk, will make the same decision."

Gerrit Lösch, Governing Body member of the Jehovah's Witness and not a lord over their faith, giving a talk on higher education at a convention in Italy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R4f9ygxDbk

Gerrit Lösch (1941-)

Gerrit Lösch was born in 1941 (in Austria?).

He was pioneer since November 1, 1961 and was circuit and district overseer in Austria between 1963 and 1976.

In 1965/1966 he was invited to the 41th Gilead class.

In 1967 he married to Merete and sometime after that they entered to the Bethel in Vienna, Austria, where he stayed 14 years.

In 1993/1994 was called to the world headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses in Brooklyn, where he worked for the Executive Committee and Service Committee.

Lösch knows well the Watchtower activities in Europe and speaks German, English, Rumanian and Italian.

On July 1, 1994 he was appointed to the Governing Body.

• changeling
    changeling

I wish someone would print this in a national and international newpaper. The world needs to know what witnesses are up against.

changeling

• carla
    carla

"we praise" -- I would think jw's would have a problem using this type of language. They 'praise' these people? Making them 'special'? Is it just me or what?

• bluebell
    bluebell

when was that talk given?

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Watching that made me sick and very angry! I cannot BELIEVE he likened going to college to someone putting a gun to their head and trying to kill themselves.

He told the "experience" of a man with obsessive compulsive disorder who attempted suicide by shooting himself. He survived and was cured of the OCD because of the part of his brain that the bullet pierced. He asked, "but would you recommend other people shoot theirselves in the head? Other people go to college and also survive, but would you recommend other people go to the college?"

How ignorant!! What is wrong with those people? Fifteen years ago they lightened the restrictions enough to where I was able to go to college, and now it seems like it is getting worse than it ever was when I was a kid. Good grief! My poor neices and nephews! Their only prospect for a career is cleaning houses and washing windows!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I believe he uttered those contemptible words in 2005.

Not many speeches make me feel sick. Only two of them did: one from Gary Breaux, a Bethelite somehow involved in the pedophile scandal, and the other from this man.

• changeling
    changeling

Ok: I just listened to this nauseating talk. I say "listened" because I speak Spanish fluently and Italian is quite similar. I tried not to read the subtittles because I really wanted to be able to say: "I heard it from the horse's mouth".

Well: "I heard it from the horses mouth!". The translation is accurate.

He said point blank that this was a warning from "the faithful and discreet slave". We all know that's "gospel" to a witness.

So there you have it, the FDS has said (from a manuscript talk no doubt) that witnesses currently attending college should best drop out.

He then compared going to college to attempting to commit suicide and expecting to come out unscathed. Well, I'll give him that much. Going to college awakens a person to free thought and knowledge. If your "faith" does not survive under scrutiny, perhaps it was unfounded.

No other religion I know of fears higher education. This very fear should be a big red flad to anyone contemplating joining the WT.

Again, people need to know this. It should be on the news everywhere.

changeling

• changeling
    changeling

Gary Breux's dad served my cong as CO.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Gary Breux's dad served my cong as CO.

Small world, huh? Well, I somewhat remember what he said when he came to town, but I remember one thing clearly. He went on and on about how sad it would be to go through a JC, and he regaled us with heartwarming stories about hysterical fathers weeping at their only daughter's Disfellowshipping Committee. "So you see, young ones, you must think of the endgame. If you get in trouble, this is what you must endure." The whole time I'm thinking.... If there were anyone in that audience thinking of joining the dubs, I really believed this was the best anti-witness given from a witness that I had ever heard!

• marmot
    marmot

Quote -

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Watching that made me sick and very angry! I cannot BELIEVE he likened going to college to someone putting a gun to their head and trying to kill themselves.

He told the "experience" of a man with obsessive compulsive disorder who attempted suicide by shooting himself. He survived and was cured of the OCD because of the part of his brain that the bullet pierced. He asked, "but would you recommend other people shoot theirselves in the head? Other people go to college and also survive, but would you recommend other people go to the college?"
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________

Holy crap, I heard that exact same "illustration" given at this summer's District convention. So they got that pearl directly from the gurus in Brooklyn?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit