What positive aspects do you find about being a JW in the past?

by tooktheredpill 20 Replies latest jw friends

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

Thanks a lot for your comments! :)

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

BTT

I will like to know if the newbies have comments about this post from November '07.

• asilentone
    asilentone

well, my parents was very heavy smokers before they came into the "truth". I was born in the "truth". I have never smoke a cig in my whole life, that is what I am thankful for. Life goes on!

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

I met my lovely wife at the congregation home book study about 30 years ago. From that came our precious daughter.

• lilyflor
    lilyflor

Question authority. Don't judge others. Celebrate and love yourself. Stop waiting for tomorrow and live NOW. Teach your children how to think, not what to think.

Thank you Watchtower.

• Annointeds Daughter
    Annointeds Daughter

Well, I think I owe them couple of things:

1. I met my husband TTRP as a child in the KH. We've had a happy marriage for over a decade now and he was the one who opened my eyes to the truth about "The Truth"(tm).
    2. I have respect for God and the Bible.
    3. I believe I was able to keep away from unnecessary problems while growing up thanks to JW's high moral standards.
    4. I like reading and have good study habits, which helped me at school, college and most recently allowed me to read Steve Hassan's book, Don Cameron's book, Carl Olof Jonsson's book and CoC all in less than a month!!! (TTRP is really proud of me!)

AD

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

AD, Less than a month!!! Wow! Now that is speed reading. I also met my wife as a JW and we have a beautiful marriage. I also learn to talk in public and have interest in the Bible. But, I guess people from some other religions can say the same. Maybe?

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

The one and only benefit I gained from the JWs still has a caveat attached to it:

- it did prove to be a bloody expensive course in public speaking!

• blondie
    blondie

This reminds me of my mother and others trying to find positive aspects about being molested by my father.

1. At least he materially provide a home

2. At least he provided food

3. At least he provided clothing

4. At least provided your education

But the things he took from me and my siblings were of my greater value, our safe place daily to wake up in, a body image and healthy sexual image, not living in daily fear, cut off from communicating with friends and family, fear of being shot or seeing our siblings shot. There are healthier ways to learn to be a better speaker. Abuse is abuse and it leaves long-lasting scars that take a long time to heal. I would have rather joined a toastmasters club to learn public speaking.

Blondie

• RR
    RR

"positive aspects"???

not going into debt during the christmas season!

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit