What positive aspects do you find about being a JW in the past?

by tooktheredpill 20 Replies latest jw friends

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

Hello!

A couple of days ago, I posted a comment for a newbie like me (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/145459/2623555/post.ashx#2623555), and I told him this:

I try to focus in the few positive aspects of being a JW, and how that can help me to improve myself. I like to help people too, and that is something that I really enjoy. I make "wordly" friends very easily, and I've known very very good people outside the organization.
    As JW, we are not afraid of "cold calling" on people. Think about this: If we are capable of "selling" a Watchtower magazine to a person that we don't know, and that's not really interested in it, we can be the best salesman/saleswoman in the world! As you mentioned, we have the ability to speak well before a class, without problems. We can convince people. Use that in your favor!

Have any of you use your "WT training" in other aspects of your life, for your benefit? Have you been successful?

Have a great day! :)

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I have no fear of speaking in front of groups, leading groups, training, etc. - speaking from the podium in TMS and DtD makes speaking in front of folks a breeze.

Also, I can take any written policy and twist it to make it serve my needs. I can take phrases out of context to support my point of view.

Lastly, I can have difficult conversations (on, say, religious or political topics) without getting nervous.

Coming from the distant past when we were encouraged to go out and compare what other religions taught, I have a pretty good grasp on comparative religion, which opens another avenue for conversation.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Welcome to the board. I gained a lot of social confidence due to a few years of pioneering. However, the time when I was at the point of suicide and the post-traumatic stress that has all come as a result of being a JW kind of negates any 'benefits'. I could have possibly gained social confidence in any other form of activity and not had the JW baggage to deal with.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Professionally it's given me the ability to excell in any type of sales as well as semi-professional communication abilities.

Personally, much like you I find that I make friends quickly and easily. I hadn't really noticed this until someone pointed it out. We were on a motorcycle road trip and spent an evening in Banff. Within 20 minutes of entering a pub I had 10 new friends from all over the world buying me drinks and playing pool. Since I moved into my new neighborhood and started re-establishing a social circle, this has been more apparent to me.

Welcome to the board and I dig the Matrix reference

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I won't get fooled again- at least not easily.

I have gone from being an introvert to at least appearing bold.

• Open mind
    Open mind

I can keep myself mentally amused for hours on end with no external stimulus.

I can pore through bone-dry, boring-as-hell legal gobble-de-gook and pick out key points, contradictions and loop holes.

I can spot JWs a mile away and avoid getting sucked into an informal "witness".

Seriously though: I have the ability to speak to a group without being glued to a manuscript. Ideas vs. sentences. When I make a few million on the motivational speaker circuit, I'll let you know.

Open Mind

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I was at high risk for a lot of problems from early childhood abuse so being in a controlled environment was a benefit.

I learned sign language and I loved it. And I was able to have a few jobs interpreting because of it.

I didn't really learn much about public speaking. In college I took a Publc Speaking course and learned how little the MSchool really helps people.

I'm sitting here and can't think of anything else though

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I learned how to spot non-sequitors in various articles that serve as advertisements and false promises of reform. Especially when it comes to the Bible, I can spot many a non-sequitor that the Bible itself uses (supporting value-destroying King David is a big one) as well as those where an organization uses the Bible out of context to support itself.

• ninja
    ninja

I learned to stroke my chin and nod in a thoughtful looking way while listening to someone boring

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I learned how to sell. So because of that I am a very good public speaker, trainer etc. Since that is what I do for a living it has benefited me tremendously.

Leslie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit