I got a call from an elder, he wants to come visit tomorrow.........

by fifi40 33 Replies latest jw friends

• fifi40
    fifi40

So what to do?????

He was a family friend for years.....I saw him in the supermarket a few months back and he stopped and chatted to me for a while.....he rang me today to see if he can call in the morning for a cuppa......he says he isnt coming to preach.....

He is one of those likeable people..........but has had a heart attack shortly after I saw him in the supermarket......he says he is okay now.

So I cant really see the point...........he is older; in his 70's.......and I think whatever we talk about I dont want to be responsible for putting his health at risk by opposing his beliefs.

Am I missing an opportunity or should I leave well alone?

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Never talk to elders. Never, "EVAH" talk to them.

If you are still an elder, and haven't stepped aside/down, nor have you been deleted yet, don't even talk to yourself!

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Is he coming alone? Who else will be there?

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Hmm, tough decision, he says he "isn't coming to preach". Well, unfortunately being a witness, he's bound to regardless of what he says, something will come up about the "truth", or the "assembly we just had" or "remember brother so and so". I guess what you have to decide is if you are willing to smile politely and nod your head during the conversation or stand your ground and risk whatever the outcome may be.

For me, if it was a really good family friend who I felt comfortable with and knew from the person's character they really wouldn't start preaching, I might say yes. But if I had any doubts on that count, I would decline, quickly. Let us know what you decide about it!

• Gayle
    Gayle

If you just keep it real, nice & pleasant, sometimes it they start talking JW, just re direct it back to your comfort zone, your trips, your projects, your kids stuff (sports, school), your health, his health. He's old now, has made his choices, has health issues now. It does confuse/exaspirate them often times if you're basically happy & pleasant.

• fifi40
    fifi40

He is happy for hubby to be there...............(thats good of him).......no he is really a good sort......

When I saw him shopping he actually said to me that he thought the org had not got the disfellowshipping thing right yet........Bless him

I am disfellowshipped just to so you know......

He was a friend of my dads for years...........and he is what I would call a laid back type.......his brother (flesh and blood type) is a solicitor, he was a serving elder, left his wife for another sister, I think got d/fed and reinstated all within about 2 weeks many years ago.......all very strange.....in fact I am not sure if he ever actually got d/fed........so the thing is this elder knows stuff happens if you know what I mean......

I guess there are a lot of UK posters working out who this is now.........everyone who ever had a legal problem got referred to the his brother because he was a JW and a solicitor.....

Hmmmmm.........going to give it some thought......but cant really see the point.......and not sure hubby would be entirely comfortable.....

Hey could this be Jehovah giving me one last chance........................just kidding

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

best bet............... meet him somewhere. say you have an errand early that morning and find a place not to far from his place... that way if he starts some s*** you can hightail it outta there.

otherwise id thank him and pass on that invitation, and express joy that he is doing better.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Avoid at any cost - bug infestation, massive migraines, thrombosis, or malaria quarantine - any excuse - avoid!

• BIG D
    BIG D

IF YOU ARE DFD ' IT DOSENT MATTER WHAT YOU DO, SEE HIM OR NOT, HE IS THE OFFENDING ONE BY SPEAKING TO YOU!

BIG D

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Do you think he's baiting you into a trap

Or is he really just trying to be social

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit