International Conventions

by stillajwexelder 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

So I am sure you will be thrilled to know that the International Conventions in 2009 will be Held in Mexico, Hawaii, South America (but did not say where exactly), Austria and Germany with other possibles and Kenya - Nairobi

Cost to Europe is slated at 2500 dollars package but warned that other destinations will cost more. The main requirement read in the letterwas "Make Sure you have the finances"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    "Make Sure you have the finances"

American JW's used to apply for these things, and were turned down.

Basically, 10 years ago, you had to be an elder and pioneer with a pioneer
    wife and have a son in Bethel or at least no children that left the religion.

Now, "Make sure you have the finances" because the line is short.

Can you imagine the folks that save up to see a foreign country and
    spend their time shuttled around with JW's to the all-day meetings?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I think the exotic US destination of Hawaii will interest a few

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I think the exotic US destination of Hawaii will interest a few

Do you know what a great personal vacation you could arrange for the same money?

You could stay on one island for 2 weeks in a 4 star hotel and pay for airfare, still having enough for
    food, nighlife, shopping, snorkeling, car rental, etc. If it's about $2500 for one person, imagine
    what a couple could do.

For a couple-
    You could go in the off season on one of those 7 day cruises, and still pay about $1500 apiece including
    airfare from many U.S. places. That's everything but the booze and the shore excursions, so figure
    another $500 for each person (more or less for what you want to do). If you want a balcony, add another
    $200 apiece or so.

I've always, even as a loyal dub, known to plan my own vacations and skip these inflated prices to go
    sit on a bench for a few days and be herded like cattle to restaurants with my lapel badge on.

• sir82
    sir82

Can you imagine the folks that save up to see a foreign country and spend their time shuttled around with JW's to the all-day meetings?

Don't forget the Bethel tours!

Nothing like spending tens of thousands of dollars to fly to some exotic land and then spending all day walking around a factory, seeing an industrial sized kitchen! A dining room that can seat 500! Hey, there's a big map on the wall! Holy moly - they have books printed in a foreign language here! Whoa, lookit that - a big washing machine! A provision from Jah himself!

And if you visit more than one country, you actually get to visit the Bethel branch in each country!

I'm sorry, the excitement is getting to me, I have to stop now...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, are most of these still out in the hot sun?

Or are there facilities large enough for indoor International Conventions, now?

alt

• 38 Years
    38 Years

Hey, are most of these still out in the hot sun?

That picture brings back so many bad memories. The hard chairs, cramped into the seats, getting umbrellas in the eye, plastic in the rain, it was torture.

• PEC
    PEC

I don't remember the stadiums being that crowded, must have been photoshopped.

According to my sister the South American location is Peru. Peru might be fun if the dubs weren't going to be there.

Philip

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Speaking of Int'l Conventions...

alt

alt

alt

~Merry

• JH
    JH
    the International Conventions in 2009 will be Held

That means the end wont be this year, nor next, nor in 2009