How many marriages are just "Theocratic"? Here's a story.....

by WingCommander 17 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Here's my story......better have a barf bag nearby.

A while back I had stopped in to see an old Elder friend of the family whom only lives a few miles away. A stout, kind hearted gentleman with two sons. One was disfellowshipped long ago for I'm assuming apostasy, etc. I never met him. The other son went to the same congregations I did with his parents, and also we went to high school together. He was a short, middle class nice guy with no worldly friends and NEVER had a girlfriend that I'm aware of.

Anyway.....this Elder's Son married a CO's daughter maybe a year after graduation. Seeing as how both of them were probably virgins, I can see why they just jumped right in. I knew the story before he even told me.....met at some assembly, short long distance relationship, and a quick marriage so they could both screw. She is little-miss-stuck-up-pioneer bitch....you know, the usual.

While talking to this Elder friend of the family, I had asked how his son and his wife are doing. The Elder's response? Truly touching remark coming......... "Oh, they have a VERY Theocratic marriage!" I was like, huh? What the F*ck is that supposed to mean? It was an odd moment. I mean...that's all he had to say about it? In other words....they show up at all the meetings and FS, but beyond that they may fight like cats and dogs for all anyone knows. As long as they put up the good show, all is fine. I was dumbstruck. I mean, this Elder could have said a million different things, but he choose the classic one-liner to throw out. Later, I wondered if maybe it was a small pot-shot against me, as I am un-baptized and I married an older "Wordly" woman whom couldn't care what religion I am - she loves me!

So....has anyone else heard this term used when someone describes a couples marriage? I found it very odd. It would be like a Priest saying, "Oh yes, they have a very Catholic marriage!" Like, what the hell does that mean?

Just my strange story for the day. It is sad, but unfortunately all true in the Dub World.

Regards, Wing Commander

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I wonder...does a "Theocratic" marriage include sex? And if so is it only done with the lights off?

Sounds truely boring.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I started a thread similar to this one a few months ago. Here's what I wrote:

One of the things that began to bother me about the JWs was their suggestions (more like rules) on seeking a spouse. Their advice makes dating seem like you’re picking out a business partner. They tell you that the most important factor is how “spiritual” your potential spouse is. Of course, by spiritual they mean how loyal of a JW they are (are they registering a lot of hours in field service every month; are they “reaching out” for privileges, etc.). Rarely, if ever, do they mention that there should be genuine love between the two people getting married. This makes for a lot of unhappy couples, in my opinion. I knew of many married couples that would not have had anything to do with each other but for the Watchtower guidelines.

Back when I was still active, I dated a really sincere JW girl. She had gotten her heart broken by her first boyfriend, the only guy she had ever dated before I came along. He left the org., and decided to do things he had never had a chance to do before, which included getting involved with other girls. We were friends at first, but began dating some time later. I think she did genuinely have some feelings for me, but she liked the fact that I was a sincere believer. However, I had been publicly reproved a couple of years beforehand (for public drunkenness), and she was having an extremely hard time selling me to her family. They felt she could do better, and by better I mean a guy with a cleaner JW resume. She knew I was a true believer and wanted to stick with me, however.

The event that led me to reassess my faith and question Watchtower doctrine happened while we were still dating. I had a choice to make: do I try to share my feelings about the org. with her in hopes of getting her out or do I just break up with her and go my own way. Well, right about that time she decided to break up with me. She invented some sorry excuse, but I knew that it was because of family pressure. Not long after, she decided that she wanted to get back together with me. I asked her why, and she said it was because she didn’t want to pass up the opportunity to be with a nice guy like me, and then she rattled off a checklist of Watchtower approved qualities that I possessed. I took that as a sign that she might have been attracted to me, but was more interested in me for the JW-approved qualifications that I possessed. I would have made a good business partner, so to speak. Although I did get back with her, I broke up with her for good about a month or two later. By that point I realized that I had begun to see the flaws in the WTBTS and that there was no going back. I would never be the sincere JW drone that I once was. Since I felt that true love was not the primary reason she was with me, I never made an attempt to share my doubts with her. I’m almost certain that she would have broken up with me since she was kind of on the fence about our relationship anyway. I’m pretty sure that word would have gotten out about my doubts as well, and I just wasn’t ready to deal with that. However, it has always bothered me that I was never able to give her a legitimate reason for breaking up with her. It was low-class on my part, but I just didn’t have any better options.

A JW guy I know sent me some pictures of her wedding not too long ago. The guy she ended up marrying has all the spiritual qualifications that a sincere JW girl would look for. I’m sure her family loves the guy, but I’m not sure that my ex does. He’s the exact opposite of everything she said she liked in a man, except for the JW stuff. She didn’t look like the typical happy wife in those pictures. In fact, she looked pretty nervous and uncomfortable. I’m sure she feels like she’s fulfilling her duties to Jehovah by following his advice on marriage. She probably points to me (no longer an active JW) as a reason why you should follow “Jehovah’s advice” on marriage. It’s a shame because she’s really smart and sincere. I think she’s going to realize the truth about the WTBTS at some point, but she’s going to have another layer of JW ties there (her husband) to deter her from leaving the organization.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

It means, "To all appearances they have the perfect marriage in terms of the Truth - they show up together for all theocratic meetings, assemblies, service; all they ever talk about is the Truth and how wonderful it is to be in the Truth and how wonderful it is to preach the Truth, and how every one else will be destroyed at Armageddon, and isn't that a wonderful thing". And that's perhaps all this father cares about.

Regional variations include "And the wife never speaks until spoken to", and "They host Thursday night study at their home".

;-)

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

mrsjones5: Sex is not part of the Theocratic Marriage, though if it is there is of course only one allowed variation; children, however, are definitely Thecratic, unless they are rebellious - in which case the marriage is no longer a Theocratic Marriage, because badly behaving children are clearly a sign of the devil being involved.

;-)

• changeling
    changeling

Actually, I never anyone put it quite that way...

It makes me think that he was indeed, tying to make a point for your "benefit".

Be happy that, as you say, your wife loves you, because in my experience, love is not often a consideration when a JW seeks a mate.

changeling

• marmot
    marmot

My (former) best friend has a theocratic marriage to the extreme. His Dad is an apostate (happened long before I lost my faith) so to compensate my friend poured every single ounce of his energy into being a model Jehovah's Witness. Not a model Christian, but a perfectionist, anal-retentive compulsive-obsessive JW to the nth degree.

He married a wife who is just as bad as he is and I don't even want to imagine what their relationship is like.

I tried recently getting together with him for coffee, 'cause I found some old duplicates of pictures we took on a camping trip back in high school and he actually told me that his schedule of bible studies and talk/meeting preparation (he's in a foreign language congregation) had him completely booked FOR THE NEXT TWO AND A HALF WEEKS!

Can you believe that? Not even fifteen minutes to spare for a coffee at Tim Horton's or something. I can't imagine he has much time for his wife either, 'cause he works nights doing cleaning and he pioneers during the day.

By the way, the "courtship" he had with his wife was one of the most condensed I've ever seen. He met the girl in late July and they were married by the second week of January. Bastard didn't even invite me to the wedding. I have a feeling he was already considering me "bad association" even though I was still active at that time.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Wing commander, what I think about your story is, life has no meaning this brother you were talking to has chosen to give the meaning of being a witness to his life, and the various idiosyncrasies that being a witness entails. So he speaks the language.

I dont think you want to make being a witness the meaing of your life. You too gentlemen are no longer birds of the same feather.

Thats is why you are perching here with these birds.

• Crafty Lady
    Crafty Lady

This is going slightly off topic, but does anyone remember when they suggested that brothers considering marrying a sister should just show up at her house at different times with no warning? Then he could see how she really looked and acted when not dressed up for meetings, etc. Gag, gag, gag. Why didn't they just date like normal people? Yuk. I heard some of the brothers actually took this advice.

Crafty

• Magick
    Magick

this topic makes me sick to my stomach. i'll tell you all why someday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit