Ever joined a Quick build and got injured?

by kifoy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    Bobbie said - Then on the second day, the brothers asked my father to leave because he was not a baptized brother.

Didn't Hiram, the King of Tyre, assist Solomon in the building of the temple? He was an unbeliever, but Solomon was happy to accept his help. (1 Kings chapters 5 through 9)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes helped a welder and looked at the flame - got burnt retina - and there was "grit" in my eyes for two days

• marmot
    marmot

Just sunstroke and a bad migraine from operating a jackhammer in the heat all day.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was never in the construction team, I am unskilled and was too old to be one of the boys and girls . When we had our own QB I was "Accommodation Overseer", Does stress and frustration count as "Injury"? I had plenty of that with that job..I just did a few days on the site when we laid the foundations - and managed to keep out of the way of anything too dangerous or arduous.

When we did have the build there were several minor accidents , I knew one girl who was sent to the accident hospital ...Of course nobody dreamed of claiming against the Society, that would be "untheocratic"

Somebody told that nowadays they spread it over 4 or 5 days and have less people on site, any one time, so as to be safer ..

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

I know a poor brother in my congregation who before i joined was on a quickbuild and fell off the roof.Hes now in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.If i remember right the org paid some compensation.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I attended two quick builds. The first about 1966 in Broadview Hts Ohio. I dont know if they were called quick builds back then or just, witnoids rapidly building Kingdumb Halls. I was about 16 for that one.

The second one was in Largo Florida about 1982, I made a brief appearance as I was pretty fadde out by that time.

Never got hurt just emotionally scarred.

• kifoy
    kifoy
    Can't you to sue if you got hurt there? I guess they have insurance for that.. I remember a "brother" suing another brother because he fell and hurt himself at a get-together he had at his house for the congregation.

We don't sue on grounds like that over here... never heard of such a thing (only heard these stories from the US).

But I know that the workers on construction sites were insured, therefore kids under 16 were not allowed, and everyone had to wear hard hats.
    And after a few years we also were ordered to not write or put stickers on them, because it would weaken them.
    My mother, who had covered her hard hat with names and dates of all the quick buids she had ever joined, had to find herself a new one.

I remember one time, a woman fell down from the ceiling on to the concrete floor. She was picked up by an ambulance. I don't know if she was ok, but mood among people was really low for a long time.

The first 15 years of quick building here in Norway, most of the workers were unskilled. The supervisors were skilled. I was not skilled, but yet I think I did a really good job. At least I knew how to swing a hammer :-)

Then they started to invite people based on their skills. But this was no sucess, I think. And not long before I left, I joined one last build.

kifoy

• Irish Rose
    Irish Rose

I went to about 3 1/2 years of those things. Never did get hurt, but saw a few that did. One guy, who claimed he knew what he was doing, but did not. I warned him NOT to cut those three LIVE wires together. He figured since I was a female, I did not know what I was talking about. Did EXACTLY what I said not to do. Long story short, he cut those three wires together, BOOM and he went flying off that ladder. He left, and guess who got stuck cleaning up that mess. Me thats who.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

hope by cleaning up the mess you mean the shrapnel not where he soiled himself lol

• Quandry
    Quandry

Worked on the Assembly Hall in Daytona, Fl. Almost baked my brains out cleaning brick.(Very hot sun in sunny Florida) Worked in the kitchen, and laying sod. Got bit by ants doing that.

I will have to say that if any females wanted to learn brick work, they would teach them if they had alot of time to devote. Some did, I didn't.

Will also have to say that when finished, it was beautiful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit