Ever joined a Quick build and got injured?

by kifoy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• kifoy
    kifoy

From the age of ca. 7 to the age of ca. 21, I joined about 10-12 quick builds in Norway. At first I was helping out in the kitchen, of course. My mom and dad signed up for the first quick build in Norway, and I thought I was lot of fun.

When I passed 16, and was old enough to be at the construction site, I worked with gardening, ceiling, inside walls, on the roof and many other things.

I got injured twice.

First time i scorched my hand on a 1000 W floodlight. Man, that was hot!
    Second time i stepped on a rusty spike. I only wore my training shoes, so the spike left a nice small bloody hole on the sole of my foot.

But it all went well, I received excellent treatment at the first aid caravan both times. And best of all I got the rest of the day off.

Not to mention all the sympathy I got from everyone! Finally the attention I never got before nor after :-)

Anyway. I found the quick builds very funny, as it was the only "witnessing" that I was good at. I hated field service, but this physical work I could handle.

Did you join many quick builds? Did you get injured?

kifoy

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

yeah did tons of them........... apart from the normal sunburn and splinters i only got hurt once...............

my dad shot me with a nail gun. saw him shoot something toward one of those metal braces they hold trusses together with........... had a puzzled look on his face like........... Where did that nail go? so he fired like three times before i felt something smack me in the hand................. and i was like OH HELL NO YOU DIDNT................ looked down and there was a nail sticking in my glove and out my glove. so i yelled for him to stop nailing(how the hell you gonna nail through steel anyways). showed him my hand and he yelled for me to go to first aid............. so i did.

they thought i was jokeing and asked if it is in me. i said i hope not but i havent gotten up the nerve to look......... sure enough went in and out.

of my pinky......... a couple milimeters to the right and it woulda missed me completely. got an idiot first aider who said he had to twist the nail out because they were attached together with a small wire.............. what did that have to do with anything..................he twisted and pulled and i was like....... dude i cant feel anything.

it was colder than an eskimoes butt in january so my hand was numb from that.......... got some vitamin E rubbed on it to prevent scarring...... like i cared lol. and told to keep the hand out of the cold............. so needless to say i got outta doing anything else that build............. just got to eat and bragging rites. woooo hooooooo

• kifoy
    kifoy

Ah, yes. I forgot about the sunburns :-\

kifoy

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I accidently kicked over a can of paint on the new carpet.

lisa

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

I was always in the kitchen during quickbuilds. My mom was one of the few women actually allowed to cook in the trailer. I was given dubious priviledge of cleaning the big boilers. I had to hang over the sides to reach the bottom and my sister had to pull on my legs to get me back out.

I once picked up a metal serving spoon that had be left on top of the oven, it left quite a burn on my palm and fingers.

My mom switched to nights, so we stayed up all night making the middle of the night snack and the early breakfast. Dozens and dozens of eggs. There was this old guy who worked with us and spent hours teaching my sister and I how to cook. He used to make this fabulous veggie broth from all the peels from the veggies used during the day. I really enjoyed going to quick builds.

My last one was when I was 19 with my dad. We were assigned to do brick work. He got to lay bricks. I got to run coffee, mortar, bricks, cookies and anything else. I tripped and fell and pushed a newly laid section over. Not good.

Then on the second day, the brothers asked my father to leave because he was not a baptized brother. All his friends were in that congregation and had invited him. We had taken time off work and travelled quite a distance to go. My father was mortified. I was furious. The brother who was studying with my dad at the time just about blew a gasket. He leaped in to our car and left all his stuff behind so that he could talk to my dad. To my knowledge I don't believe my father ever stepped foot in that hall after it was built. I removed myself from the quickbuild list although I would never have gotten very far not having a penis.

Bobbi (who can lay bricks, do siding, roofing, painting, lay sod, direct traffic and scramble thousand of eggs)

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Can't you to sue if you got hurt there? I guess they have insurance for that.. I remember a "brother" suing another brother because he fell and hurt himself at a get-together he had at his house for the congregation.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

When I was 5 I fell down in the gravel at the quickbuild of my grandmother's hall. I cut my knee open. Still have the scar. At another, a 10 year old girl from our hall fell and broke her arm. JWs dont think to not have children present at a construction site. Isn't it against the law or something. Oh wait, they aren't governed by the laws of the land, they abide by God's laws. Guess God wants 7 year olds installing insulation in the wall and ceilings.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

ohhhhh the midnight meal............... that was always the best. you never knew just how good it would be tho cause that varyied by cong. ive gotten steak, missed out on the lobster, when our hall was being built we had sonic lol.

they always saved the good food that they didnt have enough of for everyone for the midnight meals. or some brother would pay for it because obviously if you were working when everyone else was asleep you were more deserving right........ lol

what i always found funny was............ those fools would give the pioneers time if they worked at the hall projects. but only if they didnt make their 90 hours, and you had to get a damn letter stateing that you were there and that you were skilled in ways that others werent so they NEEDED YOU.

same way with baptised people only................... didnt want you..................... unless they needed the warm bodies then they got hella lax about it.

i said screw it................ if they are gonna give ANYONE field service time for working at a build it WILL be me. so i wouldnt bother with getting the damn letter......... i just added the time to my service time myself...... saved them time and effort.

i got 130 hours one month

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Went to a couple. They looked like large cluster-fu@@$ to me. Shoddy workmanship and a bunch of numbskulls with no business around power tools.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Wasn't a quick build but we were on the roof and they were pumping boiling pitch from below. We filled buckets went and dumped it and others would mop it around. Only somebody dumped a bucket next to a roof scupper and a brother down below got splashed on his bare arm and hand. Horrible stuff sticks and burns unless you can plunge into cold water real quick. He required skin grafts and ended up with ugly scars. Fortunately he had insurance because the cong. didn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit