A JW kid story

by purplesofa 20 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

My daughter is now going to church. She is twenty.

As a teen I was very aggressive in her getting taught from the Live Forever Book, OM. She studied My Book of Bible Stories and Young People ASK! She was obediant and compliant. After 9/11 she was openly chastised for not saluting the flag, the teacher told her she should move to another country. She stepped out in the hall when there was prayer. She did not participate in holidays with other kids. She took it all in stride.

I took her to meetings......dressed her up. She never felt comfortable in her JW clothes. She was so pretty and nice. Very loved in the congregation. The boys were all after her and the girls were jealous. Having grown up with four brothers, she always was at ease around boys, and that was always a concern for other parents and elders, they just did not seem to understand that her friendliness was not "worldly" behaviour.

She started to find the meetings depressing. All that was talked about was the upcoming end of the world. Destruction, do this, do that , do more she felt she never measured up. She began to pull away from the congregation, feeling she was somehow defected. It was difficult for me to be of much help as I had the same feelings.

She was an oddity at school and in the congregation. She began to have panic attacks. Unable to handle the crowd at the meetings and started skipping out at school.

Because I would not let her date, she secretly dated someone for about two years. She said she was full of guilt for it. Up until then, she never kept anything from me. She self-"shunned" herself, leading to thinking she was just a bad seed and became wide open to doing just about anything.

She was so loving and friendly, naive from being so sheltered she fell victim to about just anyones suggestions. I had isolated her from the world but I never insulated her from harm.

Her bi-polar part by now had begun to manifest itself. Complicating it with, alcohol, drugs, low self-esteem, I found myself with her in ICU with two drug overdoses.

Detox, rehab, counselling, AA, moving in and out, back to detox the cycle all over again..........surely she was a bad kid!!! She was wordly and I should let her go to the world........walk away, go to the meetings, serve Jehovah and essentailly write her off.

I was able to hang in there with her, watched her struggle, get disappointed with herself, deal with the frustration of knowing and wanting to do something but her mind would not let her. It was heart wrenching to watch. I knew everything I learned from goign to the meetings had not prepared me for this, actually did not even condone it.

She was bad association and the congregation by now knew it.

Looking back now as my daughters behaviour became undesirable and the reaction to it is very sad.

She eventually has gotten consistent medical help from disability. And by that I mean medication. Consistent for six months now. She is pregnant and doing remarkably well. Her mind is sharp and her emotions intact. Her love still pours from her (most of the time, dang hormones!)

She asked me many times to go to the JW meetings and I would not go, until finally I explained to her why. She asked me as through all this she has seen the stress and depression I have dealt with, she thought my faith would help me. I have been fighting my own battles along with hers.

She goes to church now with her Aunt. She wears nice jeans, very casual to the meetings. She loves going, they sing songs, she said there are lots of young people and lots of babies, it only lasts an hour and she says it goes by fast. She asks me to go with her from time to time and I always refuse.

I can't help but think of all the kids from JW upbringings that have been labeled as bad and worldly. I knew that my daughter was a loving, kind, good person inside there.

The lack of understanding of behaviour from Mental illness, labelling kids rebellious and sad has terrible consequences for their developing self-esteem. They are shunned by their peers when they need help and support the most. Leaving them weak and prey to any one else that will and can exploit them.

I guess my point is, I see her now, stable, and watch her behaviour. I am sure she is saner than myself.

This entire interaction with my daughter, raising a teenager with an illness such as this, in order to handle it as I could. I had to leave the organization. As the only thing that saw it through was LOVE. Unconditional love. No five meetings a week or FS or even reading my bible daily got us through this.

I just don't know how a kid comes to be an adult after being raised a witness and come out ok. Those kids are the ones that are to be looked up to, and there are so few. Leaving the mark missed by the majority. Is this what God is really looking for?

Yesterday I thought to myself, OK purps, lets go back to the meetings, the crisis is over.

Can you imagine how I would be percieved and how freaking phoney the whole of the congregation would have to be to accpet me. I saved a kid, but not by their ways. I would have to reestablish myself as a spiritually well person, enough to be fully accepted. I would have to show and prove to them I was worthy enough to pioneer. I might even be questioned about what I have been doing during my inactivity. I would be praised for coming back to Jehovah and with time .......LOOK at how spiritually strong Sister Purps is becoming, making it now to all the meetings.

I would hear how much everyone missed me, and I would get back on the TMS school, a grand priveledge! Get my name in for recieving literature again. I would be getting stronger and stronger. Eventually making it to assemblies and conventions again. And wow, maybe I would be good enough to have a brother look my way!

Its rather sickening isnt it?

purps

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes, it is sickening.

My 34-year old daughter also struggled with problems of never fitting in with the young crowd at the KH.

She was/is pretty and always wore stylish clothes and hairdos. One little blister in particular was extremely jealous of her. This little spawn of Satan poisoned the minds of the other kids to keep them from being friends with my daughter.

My daughter now has a failed marriage and two failed relationships behind her. She's loving and outgoing most of the time, but has horrible mood swings at other times. I've begged her to get medical help. I've apologized to her for cramming JW theology down her throat. She's planning on going to a church with her co-worker who assures her that both she and her kids will be accepted - no questions asked.

My prayer for you and your daughter, me and my daughter, is that we will be able to move beyond this. If we don't, the WTS will have won.

Sylvia

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks for sharing such a touching story.

Let me add a paragraph to the end.

After I felt good and accepted back into the fold, I would be made to feel guilty about
    my daughter's situation. I would be made to tell her how the same religion that depressed
    her was actually going to be her solution to all of her problems. She would believe me
    and start the wicked spiral all over again. I am glad I posted this here instead of going to
    the Kingdom Hall.
  • Gopher
    Gopher

Hey Purps,

I'm so glad your daughter is out of the organization and doing much better. Same for you.

Having grown up JW, I know from experience that they do nothing to nurture the humanity and warmth inside. They set up a performance-oriented and competitive atmosphere, to see who can shine the brightest according to artificial standards. Some of us put up with it and moved on to adult JW life, others exited before losing out on their adulthood.

As for you, your narrative is right. They would need to see you "perform" acceptably by their standards before welcoming you back to the Watchtower club. You shouldn't need to prove yourself to anybody. You're a wonderful person and a great mom, and should be accepted just for those things (as you are here).

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

She was not "Godless", she was just going through a really difficult time.

Even with all the training ~~~the important education and knowledge she recieved, The Society has fallen short in convincing her. I saw to it that she got the education, went to the meetings, etc etc.

I can't think of any kids from that hall that are really doing anything with the "Truth".....from some reports that R.F. tells me.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

from a thread Maximus posted long time ago.

worth going back and checking it out

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/10417/1.ashx

The October 1 Watchtower 2001 features articles on training children "properly" and dealing with a "prodigal child."

The latest inside U.S. figures reveal that 86% of JW children leave the fold, with some 29% who eventually come back for reasons of family ties, most never "reaching out." That means over HALF leave permanently. These figures have been virtually the same for a number of years now. Well known is the fact that many kids lead a double life; that is, they put on a Witness face while attempting to live more normally away from scrutiny.

In its usual truthful fashion, the Watchtower says: "There are hundreds of thousands of young ones who serve Jehovah happily ... Why, then, do other young ones leave?" Uh, that's over eight out of ten, remember?

Answers: 'Losing out on what the world offers, protective sheepfold too restrictive, peer pressure, hypocrisy on part of the parents or some other Christian.'

It's about "spiritual weakness," we are told. "Not having an accurate knowledge." "A youth who admitted that he had been swallowed up in the way of the world began to appreciate spiritual values. What helped him turn around? Responding to a suggestion to read the whole Bible, he kept to a regular Bible reading schedule." (Why don't I buy this?)

They trot out the tried and true recommendations: "Being reasonable includes preparing the children's heart so that they are ready to accept counsel." Family study, daily Scriptural discussion.

Why not try your family study on meeting nights? Now that's a practical suggestion! "The family was always together on the nights of the congregation meetings ... all three children are now baptized servants of Jehovah." Ah, yes, they cite the perfect family study in which a grown son says: "It was one of the most enjoyable evenings in the week."

Ooops! Here's what NOT to do: "In one congregation, well-meaning adults who wanted to help some youths who had become spiritually weak invited them to gatherings to play popular music together. Though the youths readily complied [sic!] and enjoyed such sessions, their influence on one another eventually led them to cut their ties with the congregation."

Aaaannnnkkk! No more "gatherings."

I won't go through all the Talmudic stuff on when a child is DFd; no prayer publicly in his behalf, blah, blah. But here's a gem: "Parents MIGHT pray that if God FINDS A BASIS for pardoning the child's error, that His will be done. Hearing these prayers should help the youth to see Jehovah as a merciful God." (I have a picture in my head of God sitting on his throne, desperately trying to come up with some legal basis for pardoning a wayward kid.)

Words, words, words. Their tenor is fine, but I can stomach no more. This is the same tired, tedious approach I personally have seen over and over and over again, for over half a century. Isn't there a definition of insanity as doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results?

If only a few were leaving, why publish this article?

What's your experience with kids who lead double lives and who finally leave the organization?

Maximus

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

thank you for sharing that, Purps. I have daughters, too, who have gone through many of the things your daughter has. Unfortunately when it first started to happen with one of them I was still mired in JW thinking and took the "theocratic" way of dealing with rebellious/wordly children, "conditional love", and told her she had to leave the house. I still feel a great deal of guilt for my actions. Fortunately I didn't lose her forever, and we are now close - she always tells me that one of the best things I ever did was leave the JWs and encourage all of them to follow me (which they all did, thank goodness!)

I respect you for how you dealt with your daughter with unconditional love. You are so right when you say that you had to leave the organization to be able to do it.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

She is lucky to have you. Your quote here: "She was an oddity at school and in the congregation. She began to have panic attacks" gives me pause... it takes my breath away from the recognition and the total familiarity of it. It is painful to remember, but now we are free.

And yes... yes... some of us "good, sweet girls" raised in the cult DO GET OUT... and we do just fine. Better and better, in fact.

Hooray.

Love,
    Baba.

• zamora251978
    zamora251978

Hi Purps,

I understand what your daughter is going thru. I am happy to see that you have been there for her. That must be very important for her. I also have gone thru several issues espcially while being a dub. I am happier now and I also see that happiness in my children. Thank you for sharing your story.

Lulu

• R.F.
    R.F.

Thank you for sharing this Purps!

It has been great to see how much she's getting past the JW experience and moving on with life. I personally know it's hard being a kid in that congregation, as I also felt like the outcast, the one that didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the youth there.

You should be very proud of her......I sure am.

R.F.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit