trick or treating

by teejay 32 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

Of all the holidays, for me Halloween has the least appeal.

I have a memory of going trick-or-treating once, at my "worldly" father's insistence (he roasted peanuts in the oven for the door-knockers... I remember), about the time my mom learned the truth. I must've been about five years old.

Despite the fact that I'm a hard-core agnostic and a fear of gods or demons are a non-issue, I still have trouble encouraging kids -- under the guise of costumes and fun -- of extorting treats from neighbors.

Can I get a witness? Have I been too indoctrinated?

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Can I get a witness? Have I been too indoctrinated?

Yes, lawwwd!!!! You have.

"extorting, treats?"

that's funny! LOL!!!!!

never been afraid to say what's on my mind at any given time of day, cause i'm a renegade

never been afraid to holla about anything, anything?, ANYTHING!!!!

• tdogg
    tdogg

I still don't care for the holliday myself. My wife and kids really get into it so I have learned to try not to bring them down. And each year it gets a little less annoying, this year I may even pass out the candy.Maybe.

• teejay
    teejay

haven't heard from you in a while, Main. where you been at?

so i'm too indoctrinated, huh? need to get into the Halloween spirit, eh? can't see why. my bad.

holla.

ps. see that b.s. that bboy spoke on about the illuminati?

were you surprised? these people....

• teejay
    teejay

Tdogg,

And each year it gets a little less annoying, this year I may even pass out the candy.Maybe.

You bring up a good point.

After work I found myself sitting in my garage, thinking about various things like I usually do after work before hearing about all the honey-dos. I was wonderin' how "worldly" folk with kids pull off both jobs of:

1. taking their own kids trick or treatin' and,

2. serving the neighborhood goblins. I figgered... ya gotta have some help on the home front, and I can't count on that much. Seeings how I have a hard-core JW wife, there's little prospect of her taking the little one trick or treatin' and little hope that she'll be passing out the goodies, either. Doesn't seem fair to have my kid making off with a bagful of goodies and I didn't return the favor none.

No matter. I have a problem with the "holy" day my own damn self. I need help. Any ideas from the rest of you heathens?

holla.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Growing up a witness the ONLY holiday I really wished I could be a part of Halloween!! It looked like so much fun to dress up with everyone else, and even as a 7-year-old I could see it had nothing to do with anything evil. It was just FUN.

Once, when I was in high school, our cong had a get-together at the local pizza place so as to avoid the tick-or-treaters. A couple of my friends and I managed to get permission to go home early. We dug through closets and came up with some crazy costumes and went trick-or-treating! Sure, we were way too old, but who cares?? We had a blast being ‘bad’!! That was one of the most fun times I ever had as a JW with other JW kids…no, it WAS the most fun I had!

A Cultural Anthropology class I took said that many cultures have a holiday where the every-day rules of society are turned upside down…and that is what our Halloween is. It is the one day of the year when children get to RULE. Common, how fun it that!!

Now I have kids. We have a BLAST every Halloween! I can’t wait!

--LisaBObeesa

• bigboi
    bigboi
    haven't heard from you in a while, Main. where you been at?

New job. Haven't been able to post much here for a minute.

so i'm too indoctrinated, huh?

Well I have to say yes if you feel that kids are extorting treats from their neighbbors. Then again, I ain't that much into Halloween either, never have. However, I love the Holiday season. For me it's the best time of the yr. I have a lot of good memories from my younger days from that time of yr. It was one of the hardest things to cope with as a jw. I missed the time with fam and friends

need to get into the Halloween spirit, eh

Not at all. Not really what I meant. It's just that the way you view the holiday is funny to me. I can't get over "extorting treats".
    Main, what a few yrs in a cult can do to a bruva! LOL!

ps. see that b.s. that bboy spoke on about the illuminati?

Yeah, unfortunately I did. Woefully pathetic are two words that come to mind. Especially in view of the fact that some of their "attacks" were evidently planned out. Maybe we should send them to work for the other side in this latest of our country's conflicts. We'd win this thing like tommorrow.

were you surprised? these people....

Check your email.

ONE....

bigboi

never been afraid to say what's on my mind at any given time of day, cause i'm a renegade

never been afraid to holla about anything, anything?, ANYTHING!!!!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hallaween is a gas!My kid`s alway`s enjoyed it. I took them out and they alway`s came home with a big haul.Through them, I got to enjoy thing`s I wasn`t allowed to do as a kid.Enjoy your kid`s, it`s worth it!

The Golden Rule:The people with the gold, make the rule`s!

• teejay
    teejay

One thing, Bigster.

Kids say, "trick or treat", right?

It means, give me a treat or show me a trick.

Be honest... how many kids are gonna be happy being shown some weak ass card trick? The poor slob that pulls that stunt is going to have his house tp'd. Or worse. These days, prolly worse.

No, those little urchins want TREATS, I tell ya, and they will settle for nothing less!!!

The "trick or treat" expression is not an honest opening to a free and friendly dialog. It is "extortion". Look up the word and find me a better one. EXTORTION is what it is, clear and simple.

Sorry.

And oh... btw... there IS no Santa Clause. Hate to burst your bubble.

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

I never cared for Halloween myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit