Oral Review?

by averyniceguy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

It's probably me, but just the words "oral review" gives me the giggles.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Oral Review replaced the Written Review about 3(?) or 4 years ago. It is no longer a thing where
    you pre-study then take a test.

A long time ago you didn't grade your own paper(written review) to see how you did. They were collected with your name at the top and then graded over the period of a week or so by the elder(servant) who ran the TMS. A grade or mark was listed (my Dad used RED PEN) then they were handed back.

The marks were out of 100% and if you were low "encouragement" was offered to help you do better. The pressure was always on to do better and more for the "truth"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    A long time ago you didn't grade your own paper(written review) to see how you did. They were collected with your name at the top and then graded over the period of a week or so by the elder(servant) who ran the TMS. A grade or mark was listed (my Dad used RED PEN) then they were handed back.

The marks were out of 100% and if you were low "encouragement" was offered to help you do better. The pressure was always on to do better and more for the "truth"

In my known history of the Review, they went from what you describe here to just exchanging papers
    at the Hall so someone could grade it during the answer session.

When this was done, there was no Review posted in the Kingdom Ministry. You didn't know what they
    were going to ask, you were allowed to use only your Bible for answers. Every question had a scripture
    listed, so most NWT scriptures would remind you what the WTS wanted to be have you answer with.

That was changed to the oral review where you graded your own paper, then was changed to the questions
    being pre-printed in the Kingdom Ministry. You were supposed to look up all the information and write
    down all the answers, but still take it as a memorization test at the TMS. During the answer session, you
    pulled out your notes and compared what you actually wrote. Many questions were short essay questions
    then.

Finally, that was switched to the oral review, basically the same without the test- just pre-written questions
    and study at home, discussing your answers.

Next, as they dumb it down, they will just have to tell you what to think. It would have to be a talk.
    "During the last few months, you should have learned that the Governing Body is God, and everything they
    say is Gospel. Specifically, you should apply Matt 24:45 this way....."

• BFD
    BFD

Give me an L

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Next, as they dumb it down, they will just have to tell you what to think.

Hell....They have always told you what to think... The only really "Thinking Dubs" are those that stay home on Oral Review Night.

• BFD
    BFD

And, I'll take a T, Pat.

It's so absurd. This religion seems so foriegn to the one I was raised in. WTF, "Oral Reviews"?

I remember 1 hour book study meeting at Sister L's and 2 hours on Friday night at the Kingdom Hall, a service meeting and some other crap I don't remember.

Then for me it had to be 2 hours of field service on Saturday mornings. One hour book study Saturday before bed time Saturday to wake up to 2 hours on Sunday morning, public talk (1hr), followed bt WT Study (1 hr if I was lucky but being a JW kid luck was not allowed).

"Anal Studies Review" is more like it.

BFD

• llbh
    llbh

BFD

lol

llbh

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Possibly there are a good many of us who now would score better in oral than previously.

Consider yourselves, Reviewed!

• horrible life
    horrible life

I have been here over 2 years. This is the first time, I have been reminded of the written reviews! I can't believe it. Can't remember turning them in, or can I?

Remember it being hard to take a test, sitting in that chair. I think I can remember sitting with a friend, pointing I got an answer right.

Wish the rest of the JW religion, was this foggy.

• watson
    watson

Another reason they should allow sisters to have "teaching" parts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit