High Def TV ..This is bad

by Connaughty 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

I recently attended our special assembly day and the visiting speaker put down HDTV because he didn't think we needed it. He said that we've been watching tv for many years now without it. I don't know what Bethel is going to do when the TV networks switch to that system.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Really now!

But come to think of it, what new technology has the WT Society ever favored?

HDTV's cost a good deal, and you have to work to get them, and the money would go to Best Buy or Circuit City instead of into the worldwide pedophile protection fund.

(I think American broadcasters have to switch to digital transmission by 2009, which will require new sets or else cable or satellite hookups.)

• AnneB
    AnneB

I went to a circuit assembly years ago and the CO spoke against kitchen gadgets, especially the little electric coffee grinders (Braun is one brand). He said they weren't necessary, they cost money that could be put to better use, etc. A sister I knew had just given me one but I proceeded to get rid of it.

A few years ago Awake! had a whole article about..guess what??? Coffee grinders! The one in their picture looked just like the one I had been guilted into giving away!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

For once I agree with a Jehovah's Witness, I think HDTV is just an added expense and a waste, and mad that they are forcing this on us. My TV picture is fine, it is good enough and it will do. It's just another way to bilk people out of there money. I have seen HDTV and yes the pic is somewhat better, but the old TV screen will do for me.

• John Doe
    John Doe

JG, that's what a lot of people said about vhs when dvd came out.

• oompa
    oompa

I love HD, but just the big lcd and plasma tvs are so much better. Walmart this week here had like 32 on display, and 4 old dusty boxy sets on a side aisle. BestBuy only sell the old style tvs anymore......the coffee grinder thing is really sick.....its a wonder we arent more like th Amish.........oompa

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I love my HDTV!

It makes shows look like they're in the theater.

• JH
    JH

I still use rabbit ears on my conventional TV

• zeroday
    zeroday
    I have seen HDTV and yes the pic is somewhat better, but the old TV screen will do for me.

Depends on where you saw it. If you saw it at a store desplay chances it was not a true HD signal so it would look somewhat better than your TV. If you saw it at a friends or relative also did they have true HD signal. My brotherinlaw got a new plasma set up but did not get the HD cables and even with an HD signal he wasn't getting HD quality picture. If you have the right set up, cable digital package, HD cables it is STUNNING. I would never go back. And the prices are dropping rapidly...

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yes John Doe, but DVD's had a more practical side to them as they were smaller and dont need rewinding. Im satisfied with my picture, Im not satisfied with the fact that they are forcing us to buy much more expensive TV's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit