Does anyone here snow ski? Where do you go and are you going this year?

by Bourne 14 Replies latest jw friends

• BIG D
    BIG D

winter park , colo, and wolfcreek pas gets alot of snow, new mexico is not that good, utah is great!

brekenridge, colo, i ski alot.

big d

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I went a lot before Bush was elected and I had a high paying job manufacturing job. Snow Mass was my favorite, followed by Whistler, then Vail.

I live at sea level, so Whistler is easiest on my body. It requires no acclimation. The last time I went to Vail, I trained for 3 months before my trip running 35 miles a week and I was able to get to the top of the mountain on the 2nd day. The first time I went to Vail I was sick the first 3 days with altitude sickness. My last trip was to Holiday Valley in New York. The wheather was good. I was visiting my parents in Cleveland and drove up for 3 days. No altitude problem. But its hit and miss on the east cost with the wheather and ice. Usually Colorado is good in January. Whistler is hit and miss anytime. And its an expensive long trip from Florida. But I hope to go there again 3 out of 5 days were good the last 2 it rained in the village and there was really wet snow on the mountain. My wife skied into it and tore up both knees she had to have 2 knee surgeries. I've also been to Aspen which is by Snow Mass. I didnt care for Aspen a whole lot. It seemed more about being a rich town than a good ski mountain. I've been to Breckenridge also. Snow mass and Whistler were my favorites.

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

Jackson Hole WY.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes - just North of Denver Colorado

• Jourles
    Jourles

Crested Butte is having 3 weeks of free skiing this year -- Nov 25th through Dec 15th. No CO resort is ever open 100% that early, but the amount they do have open varies on the snowfall amount they get of course. On average, most resorts in CO are ~30-40% open that early in the season. By late January/early February, almost all are at 100%...unless they get an ungodly amount of snow sooner.

Keystone and Loveland are always trying to outdo each other every year on being the first to open. Both will have their guns running whenever possible, even if it's just for one or two runs. If one or the other says they are opening on such-and-such date, the other will try and match it or beat it by a day. I remember in the past when Loveland would announce their opening day, keystone would match it but would turn on their lights at 6am just to say they beat Loveland. It's all about bragging rights and being the first in the US to open for the season.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit