Does anyone here snow ski? Where do you go and are you going this year?

by Bourne 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Bourne
    Bourne

I should add that I realize that this is more of a northern hemisphere question. No offens(c)e to our southern hemisphere friends.

Bourne

• horrible life
    horrible life

I love to ski. Have only been to Monarch in Colorado. Near the Royal Gorge. Lots of church groups, no rich folks, friendly help. We leave coolers and coats out in the open, and have never lost anything, or had any trouble. I really enjoy going for the last 6 years.

Lots of different kinds of runs, groomed very good. The only drawback, is you have to stay in Salida, and drive 20 miles to the mountain. There is 1 hotel about 10 miles away.

• horrible life
    horrible life

And its cheap!!! When I have thought about going to other places, and priced them, I head back to Monarch.

• R.F.
    R.F.

My sister and I are considering doing it for the first time soon.

Robert

• Bourne
    Bourne

I myself have skied the Rockies (mainly Colorado and Utah). I'm a solid intermediate at best. But I LOVE it all the same. I'm definately going this year and can't wait!

AS long as it's not too cold, that is.

Bourne

• horrible life
    horrible life

COLD????? I am a woman, close to 50 years old. I live in southern Okla. I LIVE for cold!!!!!!!!!

• BrentR
    BrentR

I stopped a few years ago becuase it got way too expensive. Back when I did ski it was Crystal Mtn, or the three on Snoqualamie Pass. Every Feb we would go up to Whistler and Blackcomb for five days. You can't beat it for the exercise and the scenery and I miss it alot.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Used to live in Summit Co. Colorado. Had the pass, etc. I've been to every ski area in CO except for two places. My top three picks in the state are, 1. Arapahoe Basin, 2. Aspen Highlands, 3. Crested Butte. I typically ski black/double black but sometimes crave a steep, smooth, and fast blue for laying out big carves. I grew up skiing the SoCal mountains (Big Bear) and have been to Squaw and Heavenly up in Tahoe. Since living in Michigan, I've been to most here in the state as well, except for the UP. My favorite one so far is Boyne Highlands. Whistler is on my to-do list. I wouldn't mind hitting a few European resorts sometime in the future before I get too old.

Monarch is a good spot in CO. I've heard they have some of the best snowcat skiing in the state - never did it. Monarch's the running favorite for most of the folks who live in Colo Spgs(and the local jws). If you're coming from there, I would recommend popping over the pass and heading to Crested Butte. It's not that much further. PLUS, they always have a Ski Free time period in the beginning of the season and usually at the end too. You can't beat that deal whatsoever. Who here likes to ski for free? That's what I thought. If you hit CB at the end of the season, there has usually been a ski naked day - typically the last day of the year. If it's warm enough for you to do it, no one cares. I've never done it. The most bare I've gone is skiing only in my shorts, boots, and goggles. Trust me, if you fall hard while skin is exposed, it's worse than a bad rug burn.

• changeling
    changeling

Park City and The Canyons, Utah.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Back when Sierra At Tahoe,

http://www.sierraattahoe.com/

was called Sierra Ski Ranch, they would offer JW discounts on Christmas Day. (Blech.) You had to show your suicide-pact card to get the discount.

Anyone know if they still offer that?

Open Mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit