are JWs really worse? (or: is every religion a cult?)

by inkling 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Watchtower Society is a cult and so are the Mormons but the other religions are just false. Other religions do not destroy families like the WS and Mormons.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Good way to put it Alwayshere, I personally dont think that all religions are false, but I respect your right to your opinion. But yes, the JW's and Mormons do cause real life tangible damage to families, that is why I refer to them as cults.

Even if all religions could be called a cult, some are definitely more destructive than others.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here is what the Witlesses do that is different from other religions: They homogenize people's lives. When I was growing up as a Catholic (and while practicing, all two years or so), it was mixed up. We had Sunday school. We would only have to sit still for about 45 minutes, with a couple of songs thrown in for good measure. And, around Labor Day, we would have one day where we would all just head outside and play games and have fun. No church that week. We had Christmas and all the other holidays. We used to listen to real music, the kind that was found on the radio. There was no prohibitions against playing with worldly children, saluting the flag, or celebrating holidays and birthdays in school. We could participate in after-school events including Cub Scouts. Though the Catholic church beliefs are not to my liking, at least they did not interfere with life outside church.

Now the Witlesses. Though I have been to meetings regularly for about 8 years and hit-or-miss for another 9, there was never a pre-emption. Never did we go outside and play games and have fun in lieu of a meeting. We never had disruptions on the holidays. When Christmas came, the meetings went on as usual. The a$$emblies and the Crapmorial come up on 4 separate times a year, and they are effectively another meeting. A$$emblies are more marathon meeting sessions, while the Crapmorial is another meeting that is accented with passing that plate of stale crackers and glass of spoiled grape juice. People also have to spend all their time spreading the message, and they are not allowed to play with other children in school. Parties and after-school events are off-limits, too. Normal activity is impeded--if they find out you have real music, Brother Hounder is going to speciously get you to get rid of it.

Generally, life as a Catholic was less impeded on than as a Witless. Even while we were practicing Catholics, I do not remember church hymns being played all day in lieu of music. I only remember going to church on Sundays and having a few picnics and banquets sponsored by the church. The church also served as a social club, even if I did not like the beliefs. Aside Easter and Christmas, we did not get heavily involved in religion as Catholics (and even then I do not remember going to special services on either day). And there was some structure--even if one doesn't believe in the material, the structure allows something to look forward to. Plus, you can do the holidays and birthdays (which I always looked forward to).

Take your pick.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks WTWizard, while I personally dont believe in the Catholic Doctrine, at least the Catholics were allowed to live a more "normal" life.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I was talking to the shunned son of a Plymouth Bretheren not too long ago.

The only real differences were doctrinal. The mind control tactics and buzzwords were the same.

There is nothing 'special' about JWs.

Cheers

Chris

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

That's because the Plymouth Brethren is probably a destructive cult too.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Oh how time removes the mystique of cult... the blinkin catholics raped , burnt and pillaged their way across the Holy Lands, decimated New World civilization, actively fought scientific endeavour to the point of death, tortured and killed heretics yadda yadda - the Protestants aren't much better. From the flames of these apostate cults came modern day 'mainstream' religions that even by the turn of the century were being used by the European Empires to justify colonial conquest and proselytize the savages. These mainstream religions maintained racial persecution, male domination and lest we forget the current catholic scandals - hid certain abusers within the clergy.

Now let's look at doctrine... Christ re-sacrificed on the altar, no contraception, drinking literal blood of Christ, limbo (though that little crap doctrine bit the dust recently - despite the millions of traumatised parents that caused), Armageddon, Resurrection, hellfire, 6 day creation, rapture, talking in tongues - I could go on but let's be brutally honest JWs and Mormon's are merely a shade in a world of religious madness hardly outstanding examples of wierd. The moment you tell me you have any religious belief you have no leg to stand on in criticising anyone elses beliefs as stranger.

Still peddling this - wow the Mormons and JWs are a special brand of wierd - look they really do break up families and other religions don't - well get your arse in gear and open up the blinkers let me enlighten you:

Northern Ireland - just (hopefully) coming to the end of a period of religious hostility that caused thousands of deaths and maimings, built walls through communities, denoted which school you could join and who you could hang out with and so on - culprits Catholics and Protestants. At least JWs and Mormon's don't knee cap people who disagree.
    Bosnia - three way horrific war between three mainstrream religious groups - Muslims, Orthodox and Catholics.
    I'll list a few more mainstream religion hotspots that make the JWs and Mormons pale into insignificance if you care to research - Cyprus, East Timor, India, Nigeria and so on...

For any other christians who think they are comfortably unaffected by cult characteristics or family affecting beliefs you just aren't looking far enough - you'll find your religion sucked at human rights, lynched, wore white hats and painted KKK on their chest, abused kids, in strong concentrations caused family rifts, believed crazy stuff and eventually at some point were considered a cult.

Don't get rid of your guilt by pretending that JWs and Mormons are a safe minority group to pick on 'cos they are weirder than you.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Your a Mormon QCMBR? It is natural that you would side against traditional religion, it is to be expected, much like the JW's.

I only have to look and compare 2 different individual churches and see the destructive nature of the witnesses. I have good family that ae baptist, they are law abiding successful business people in their communities. Once again I reiterate the tangible problems caused by destructive cults, especially the JW's.

Modern day christianity here in the US is alot different than medevial catholocism. No one is burning anyone at the stake, no one is suffering real persecution in this country. Most religions have mainstreamed. The JW's and a few other cults meddle so deeply into their members lives, especially the children that it cause much damage. If it were not so, I wouldnt waste any of my time on activism or these boards.

The majority of christianity in this country is like a pick and choose cafeteria, you can pick what you want, leave what you want, and few would harass you for doing so, it is just the opposite with JW's, if you are able to leave the JW's with your family ties intact, along with your sanity, then you are absolutely lucky.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Despite the fact that other religions have done horrible things, I still strongly believe that there is a vast difference between being a catholic (here in England) than being JW. Most people around here who say they are Catholic attend church when they wish and they live their lives how they wish. They don't have to refuse blood, they don't have disfellowshipping. Just because catholics have done bad things in the past does not mean that they are now a mind control cult.

The JWs fit the mind control criteria and they do make sure that their members are isolated from the rest of society. They are more dangerous than many religions - most of us could join a church and not be controlled - at least where I live.

I'm pagan, but I've also attended other Christian churches and so I know that they don't love bomb and they leave it up to you whether you attend or not. They certainly don't pry into your private life!

SIrona

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I am a correct - I'm not siding with anyone - just agreeing with the original post. Being Mormon puts me in the enviable position of being able to call BS about the Mormon's when I see it - this is BS for most Mormons in scattered communities - I can't talk for mormon dominated communities. In EVERY religion you'll get some wacko who will disown his family if they find another path and you'll also find loads of good solid people who are pillars of the community and balanced rational individuals - it all depends on where you pick your sample story from. I can find zillions of ex-mormon sites that talk of bizarrely over the top mormon patriarchs who needed their arse kicking. In my actual experience of thousands of LDS I can count three or four zealous idiots whose kids will end up spouting on those boards about busted families. I can then point to the rest and say that even though loads left they are all still really close knit families and as people are ace, generally honest, kind and happy.

Religious intolerance is just another form of bullying - rather than tar a religion why not just point out individual practises that are diasagreed with and drop such hate monikers as cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit