Are You Angry That You Didn't Get To Celebrate The Holidays?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I'm not. But NOW, holidays are important to me. I think birthdays and XMas are important ones to make sure that you give and get gifts. Perhaps it's because I never experienced the "joy of the holidays".

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Angry? No. But I do make a big deal out of and celebrate most of them. It's something I would have enjoyed growing up, but wouldn't likely be as stoked to participate.

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

not angry no, just wonder how things would be if i had?

i'll explain: I used to do b'days and xmas pre witnesses as a child, then stopped it - dont remember feeling bad about it then. But as an adult with children, I look to my parents and know that we are not close compared to my partner who was never a witness, some of that is down to not doing regular family things like celebrations, though obviously its not down to that one thing or perhaps the dubs even, people never involved have worse family's than mine. But for sure it has been a factor and i now do things on my kids bd's.

CS 101

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Definitely not angry, but my children do reap some huge benefits of my deprived childhood. I tend to go way overboard on holidays, especially Christmas. Although they'll never fully appreciate it the way I do, at the very least I hope I'm helping to create some really great memories for them.

• minimus
    minimus

Eff, I see your point.

• Fleur
    Fleur

No. Not at all.

You don't miss what you never had, they say. Maybe that's why. I didn't ever get used to celebrating it as a child. Of course now it means a lot to me just because of family- not for religious reasons at all.

My parents never even told me the Santa claus myth- I heard it at preschool and thought it was the most preposterous thing I'd ever heard in my short little life LOL. I came home and said to my mom, "would you believe they think there's this fat guy in a red suit that delivers presents to all the kids in the world on one night? Come ON."

I could believe in Prince Charming coming to save me one day and all the pixie dust type 'magical' things, but Santa, I never bought.

I never taught it to my own child either as fact even though we started celebrating when she was young enough to believe it. I taught her from the get-go that the presents come from the hard work of the people who love you. Then I made sure she knew not to spoil it for her friends who do believe.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

No I am not angry at all. In a way the Holidays are more special to me now. I really cherish spending that time with my family because we missed out on so many when we were Witnesses. Lilly

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I feel the same, Min.

I prob appreciate the holidays far more than some my age who never did not celebrate them.

I am, even as I write this, updating my files so that I don't miss any on my card list this year.

Jeff

• Dagney
    Dagney

I don't feel angry. But since I enjoy them so much now, I feel slightly sad about missing out on a little bit more of joy in life.

Self sacrifice sucks.

Parties and giving are fun.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..No..I would have liked to have celebrated them though..I remember my mom throwing an absolute fit,because I told my aunt I liked Christmas..She said"I`ve got enough problems with my relatives without you saying things like that!".....She told my aunt,I didn`t like Christmas..I didn`t support her lie...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit