Are You Angry That You Didn't Get To Celebrate The Holidays?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Not angry at all. It was tough being a kid at times when everyone around you is celebrating at school (back when schools still celebrated holidays) but as I got older, it wasn't any real big deal.

I still don't celebrate Xmas as far as decorations or giving gifts. I go to Xmas parties and accept gifts, if given any (I usually reciprocate with booze and cigars) and I wish people Happy Holidays. The only thing I like about Xmas is the holiday spirit people seem to have for just a couple of weeks. It's a nice change.

I don't care about Easter and Thanksgiving to me means football. Always has, always will. Even when I was an active JW, I visited non-JW releatives for turkey and football. Nothing changed there.

The one holiday that I do like and have actually gone out of my way to participate in, is Halloween. I love the scary movies, the costumes, the decorations, watching kids trick or treat. In the last few years, its become more of an adult holiday with good costumes and great parties to go to. I wish I could have gone trick or treating as a kid. That's the one thing I miss from not celebrating holidays when I was a kid.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

no, not angry, actually don't much care. the nice thing is that, having been brought up without those traditions, I can pick and choose the things I want to celebrate. I like the lavishness of Thanksgiving and Christmas, although my friends and I don't give gifts, but we cook together, make fruitcake, make home made soap and other goodies for each other to give out, it's more about companionship, bright lights and colors and the smells of good food.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit