2 Dubs split $756,000 bias award

by Nathan Natas 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm sure they'll give most of it to help the world-wide work...

• Gopher
    Gopher

Dang! I'll bet they're glad they attended the convention!!

Here's part of article VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964:

(j) The term ``religion'' includes all aspects of religious observance and practice, as well as belief, unless an employer demonstrates that he is unable to reasonably accommodate to an employee's or prospective employee's religious observance or practice without undue hardship on the conduct of the employer's business.

Sounds to me like AT&T messed up big time.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Maybe they will feel pressured to donate some of it due to the fact it came about because of the WTS, but think most witnesses are like many other people, and are not about to share a windfall. I really feel the vast majority of witnesses are not quick to give the Watchtower money more than they have too.

• Gopher
    Gopher

If these guys had been Mormons, they would have had to donate a total of $75,600 to their church.

• Mary
    Mary

Yep....sounds like the company really screwed up. By law you can't deny someone time off if they're attending a religious conference, or for a religious holiday. Although the assemblies are a total waste of time, as far as I know, it's a blanket law across the board.

And yes, I'm sure a chunk of it will be going to thank Jehovah via the Worldwide Witlessing Work.

• changeling
    changeling

Don't shoot me guys, but: Good for them!

When their constitutional rights are protected it's good for all of us.

How they spend the money is up to them.

changeling (ducking for cover)

• Gopher
    Gopher

Changeling,

I think everybody here is in the "happy crowd" and agrees with you. If anybody shoots you they'll have a bunch of us happy folk to deal with.

This kind of thread shows that people on this board don't hate individual JW's. We're actually quite open-minded if you think about it.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Ain't Satan's world just the worst thang that ever happened to anybody ?

• Scully
    Scully

This is how WTS Legal earns its keep.

• Jourles
    Jourles

A little more background on this case:

EEOC v. AT&T ARKANSAS is an ongoing 2006-7 employment discrimination lawsuit filed by EEOC on behalf of two Jehovah's Witnesses named Glenn Owen and Jose Gonzalez. Details are sketchy, but apparently Glenn Owen and Jose Gonzalez had been employed at AT&T's Jonesboro, Arkansas location for a number of years. In years past, AT&T had accomodated Owen's and Gonzalez's requests for time off so they could attend the Jehovah's Witnesses annual District Convention every July. However, in 2005, AT&T declined Owen's and Gonzalez's requests for time off. Apparently, Glenn Owen and Jose Gonzalez attended the District Convention anyway. They were later suspended by AT&T, and eventually terminated. Owen and Gonzalez are claiming religious discrimination, but AT&T claims that the denial of time off in 2005 had nothing to do with the employees' religion, but rather that granting their requests would have created an undue hardship that year. Outcome unknown, but AT&T will likely lose. Employers need to review all following cases, which basically show that when a Jehovah's Witness Employee states that they need time off for religious purposes, their Employer better give it to them, or suffer the consequences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit