2 Dubs split $756,000 bias award

by Nathan Natas 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

A problem I experienced with witness employees, is that they wait until the last minute to request the time off. It would really irritate when an employee would give less than a week notice that they needed time off when any witness knows that the dates are announced months in advance.

It's possible that this is what happened here?? Perhaps they waited until the last minute only to find out that time had already been granted to other employees who put in for vacation time. If that's the case, then it was 'lack of planning' on the part of the JW and they should not have been awarded the big payout.

If they gave ample notice and were still denied, then i agree: Employer is in the wrong.

-Aude.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

There was always the option to go to another convention if the date they asked off was not available.

I was thinking the convention for Jonesboro was in Memphis that year and they usually have it over Two sometimes three weekends there, but maybe it was in Little Rock or Pine Bluff and it would have only been one weekend.

The more I see how people win lawsuits the more I see how walked on I have been through the years.

Wonder how much time they were asking off.........I mean the convention only last three days........why not just ask off for vacation time? Instead of making it a big deal about a religious day.

And what about the elders going to School next year at Patterson, will jobs have to let them off for that?

Do they get paid for the time off for a religious holiday?

I know witnesses that trade off too, they will work Xmas and Thanksgiving to assure they get time off for conventions.

purps

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Well excuse me but what a load of crap! AT&T goofed up as far as the law is concerned but the bigger question is; Why should they, or any employer, be legally obligated to accomodate an employees religious beliefs?

Personal time off should be worked out between an employer and his staff. If an organisation is large enough and willing to do so, then fine let your staff ruin productivity for the sake of their private, personal beliefs. If you want time off use your annual leave or holiday allowance.

But if you are contractually obliged to work and your boss wants you to work then you should bloody well work!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Okay, I've calmed down now.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Hi Nicolau, I kinda agree with you on some points there.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Good point someone made, above: Why didn't they just attend another convention? Perhaps this is one reason why:

In our old cong, a bro. had a janitorial business (this will come as no surprise to you) and had six or seven "employees" who were dubs, all attending the same congo. When assembly time rolled around, he asked the dubs to stagger their vacations so at least half of them were working that week so that the client businesses could be serviced.
    The guy who owned the janitorial business (an elder) would, depending on the work schedule, often go to the district convention for one or two days and attend the "other" day or two on a different weekend, in order to accommodate his JW employees. That way everyone got to go to all the days of the convention.

That seemed reasonable to me. But one year, one of the elders made a big deal of the fact that the janitor/elder left the convention on Saturday night so he could work all day Sunday on a couple of "accounts" that needed to be cleaned over the weekend. He then went to a second convention the next Sunday to make up for the day he missed. Because of the elder who complained, he was called into the back room with the rest of the elders and told he was setting a bad example!

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

Soo..... Would not Christmas be considered a religious holiday? Easter? But guess what? Christians were REQUIRED to work those days - I know, I worked there!!! So maybe I should sue because I had to work on Christmas? Come off it!!!! Yes, employees have rights, but here AT&T was basically treating all employees the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit