Staying a Christian Upon Leaving (cont.)

by serotonin_wraith 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

And here I got all excited that our thread was found. Oh, well. You've done a good job of resurrecting the topic.

SB: I tend to believe what people say about their personal experiences, whether it's hearing a voice they think to be God, or surviving a risky operation. I can just list off alternative explanations.

But that doesn't make your interpretation any more right, does it?

Me: If there is only reason in a dog-eat-dog survival-of-the-fittest world, where is restraint? Where is good? What stops the individual from spreading their seed at the cost of the entire community? SB: A person of reason would conclude it is reasonable to do good, whether a god existed or not.

You are going to have to dig deeper than that. Where does the concept of a higher good come from? I would suggest, from your worldview, that it is a compilation, an accretion of generations of cultural imprinting. In other words, from Christianity.

SB: If I started listing off the gods and asking you whether you thought they were real, I don't think you'd be saying yes.

Don't assume. I say one God exists, and that many versions are out there to describe Him. All describe in part, but none the whole.

Me: A vivid imaginary life is absolutely necesarry in the development of children. As adults, we use our imaginations to test out alternative outcomes. It is good! I would maintain that use of our entire minds, not just our reason, is good for us. SB: I agree with you. I just think we should be able to differentiate between the two.

Why? I want the reasons, in detail. They are important.

Me: Was it reality or majority? SB: Both in the example you give. When something is seen as real, majority usually follows. I don't think animals should be killed for no good reason either. But I don't need to worship them to think that way.

In context, we were talking about the extinction of the native religions. SB maintained that reality led to their decline. I maintained that a majority religion killed it off. SB, you are going to have to provide proof to back up your assertion here. I do maintain that following a traditional ritualistic killing of an animal that honors it, results in saner killing. I also maintain that the absence of that respect led to the extinction of the passenger pigeon and the near-extinction of the buffalo. SB, what gave you the concept of "good"?

Now, I would like to know what specific danger there is in belief. You've mentioned this a few times and routed me to an audio link. Sorry, I could not listen past two minutes. I would prefer to get your own thoughts on this, but if you have a link to a written essay on say, "The dangers of belief", I'll comment.

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

Not a problem - I understood the exact response to postings about belief in God - as they say it's not my first rodeo.

From the first post on this thread and all the other ones I have stated my position, that is, people for the most part have their minds made up and are promoting a personal agenda. If a new person was to come on this forum and have an honest concern - they might get their concern addressed if they survived the attacks.

My point is all the hate and discontent thats shown on forums like these. My belief is that people can be rude attack and make hurtful remarks because they never really have to deal with the person on a personal level. We are a disconnected society and some of us remember when things were different and life experience was more important then words.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

jgnat:

But that doesn't make your interpretation any more right, does it?

I think it depends on what's more plausible. If I trip over, I could claim I fell over an invisible troll but I don't think anyone would believe me. Why? No proof for the invisible troll. Another explanation would be more satisfactory. God and the invisible troll are on equal footing, there's just as much reason to believe in either of them.

You are going to have to dig deeper than that. Where does the concept of a higher good come from? I would suggest, from your worldview, that it is a compilation, an accretion of generations of cultural imprinting. In other words, from Christianity.

I've heard this argument a gazillion and one times and there's a response to it in the first post in this thread in my message to BurnTheShips. I won't paste it again here, so just check there.

Don't assume. I say one God exists, and that many versions are out there to describe Him. All describe in part, but none the whole.

All are contradictory. Does God have multiple personality disorder?

Why? I want the reasons, in detail. They are important.

Why should we know what's real or not? I suppose it's because how we view the world affects how we act.

If I received a cheque in the post for a million pounds (or dollars), my belief would give me comfort, it would take away any stress I have about bills, it may give me the strength to phone up my boss and tell him where to stick it. That belief would change my life in so many good ways. But what if I found out the cheque was a fake, part of a TV show stunt for example? Well then I would have to live with the consequences of my actions. I would have lived a lie. I may have got other peoples hopes up. How about if my family got together every Sunday to talk about what we'd do with the money when it came? What if they quit their jobs, stopped trying to get the loan they were after, bought lots of expensive things with the money they had already?

It may be all well and good to have the comfort, but it comes with baggage. We saw a similar thing with the JWs in 1975. They believed something that wasn't real, and unfortunately it had side effects which were bad.

That's just one angle. There's a few others too.

In context, we were talking about the extinction of the native religions. SB maintained that reality led to their decline. I maintained that a majority religion killed it off. SB, you are going to have to provide proof to back up your assertion here.

I think in context I said that reality led to the decline of older gods, and then you gave the example of the Indian Americans beliefs. I then agreed with you that the majority came into it too. People are free to worship those gods now, but for the most part we choose not to. Not because we're not allowed, but because we don't see them as realistic now. Not every god dismissed has been dismissed under pressure. Sometimes they just die out over time because they are seen as superstitious.

I do maintain that following a traditional ritualistic killing of an animal that honors it, results in saner killing. I also maintain that the absence of that respect led to the extinction of the passenger pigeon and the near-extinction of the buffalo.

And in that way religious beliefs helped. They just aren't needed. I don't want animals to suffer, but I don't need to believe in unrealistic things to think that way.

SB, what gave you the concept of "good"?

(SW) Just check the first post to BurnTheShips.

Now, I would like to know what specific danger there is in belief.

It depends on the religion, so these won't all apply to one:

Prevents independent thought.

Children are indoctrinated.

Fear of hell/ armageddon.

Fear of life without an invisible friend.

People may pray instead of getting or giving real help.

Keeps people ignorant of the facts of life.

Creates a lack of concern for humanity's problems (if it's believed Jesus will be back any day now to help us out)

Holds back science.

Killing 'witches' (which continues to this day in some places)

Suicide bombing.

Planes flown into buildings.

Killing apostates.

Wars.

Catholics in Africa telling people condom use is immoral- not helping with the AIDS epidemic.

Opposing euthanasia.

Discrimination of homosexuals.

Killing homosexuals.

Women not treated as man's equal.

Guilt. Masturbation becomes a sin, people are made to feel they're not worthy and deserve death and that only religion can 'save' them.

People may give up on their dreams in this life hoping for a better afterlife.

writetoknow:

A quote I heard. I'm not sure of the author/speaker:

"Those who don't want their beliefs laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."

You have the right to tell people all about your religion. Atheists also have the right to give their side. By saying we can't, you are making yourself out to be a hypocrite. Nobody hates you, but there are those who do hate what you believe, with good reason. You are not being forced to stop reading the Bible or go to church. These are words, and if you find them hateful you are under no obligation to read them. It may be seen as hate because you're not used to it, but it's just a taboo that's been broken. America seems to be on the verge of a theocracy and Islam (and all the dangers that brings) is spreading through Europe at an alarming rate. These religious groups may end up using nuclear weapons against each other (many in both groups believe that has to happen in order for their saviour to come back). If we don't speak up now, there may come a time where we'll be put to death or put in jail for not being religious. That may seem impossible now, but it's happened before, and if nobody says anything, what will stop it happening again? We can't take that chance.

• 5go
    5go

I guess I should mention of the faiths I would of converted to post witness life would of been Islam, and Zen Buddhist-Shintoism. Which were on the top of my very short list of faiths to consider.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    me: Don't assume. I say one God exists, and that many versions are out there to describe Him. All describe in part, but none the whole. SB: All are contradictory. Does God have multiple personality disorder?

I say all of mankind has it wrong.... a bit. God is all that is good, and none of us has the complete picture. I refer to the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

• startingover
    startingover

This thread fits the pattern I have seen numerous times. Back and forth discussion with the believer eventually calling foul. I have yet to see a non-believer play that card.

• jgnat
    jgnat

*waves at startingover* Hi, startingover!

SB, I've read your standard response to the question, "Where does good come from?" and here is my compiled response.

Regarding your standard answer to "what is good" picking at the bible is not going to do it for me. The overriding principle that all bible rules are based is; Love God with all you have and love others as yourself. You will also find in Jewish thought that concept of overriding principles. One of theirs is, "reverence for life". This overriding principle governed their actions on what rule is to be taken precedent over another. If, for instance, only "unclean" food is available, eat. It is a greater disrespect to life to end it. This is where the Witnesses are hopelessly tangled, trying to pretend that the bible is perfectly consistent; killing adulterers, or letting a child die from lack of blood is somehow a "loving act". There are overriding principles that can be applied to various "rules" in the bible, and allow us to discard some over others.

I maintain that some of your examples of animal "morality" is anthropomorphism. There are also plenty of examples in the animal kingdom of deceit, injustice, cruelty, cannibalism…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

Chimpanzee Cannibalism and Infanticide http://www.essaysample.com/essay/000836.html

Most people are ignorant of the cultural forces that bind us. Even though it is true that we are totally dependent of our civilization for our ease (food, shelter, clothing), most people are unaware of it. It’s not that we don’t kill because we value civilized harmony, we don’t kill because there is an imposed morality from the larger society. That morality, like it or not, derives from Judeo-Christian thought.

I don't think "good" is inherent in people by natural design. I do think that "good" stands on it's own. Your examples don't nearly provide proof for your belief.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith
    I say all of mankind has it wrong.... a bit. God is all that is good, and none of us has the complete picture.

You cannot possibly know any of that. I understand it's what you believe, but why believe something you just can't know? Why not just say 'I don't know'?

(Who's SB?)

Regarding your standard answer to "what is good" picking at the bible is not going to do it for me. The overriding principle that all bible rules are based is; Love God with all you have and love others as yourself. You will also find in Jewish thought that concept of overriding principles. One of theirs is, "reverence for life". This overriding principle governed their actions on what rule is to be taken precedent over another. If, for instance, only "unclean" food is available, eat. It is a greater disrespect to life to end it. This is where the Witnesses are hopelessly tangled, trying to pretend that the bible is perfectly consistent; killing adulterers, or letting a child die from lack of blood is somehow a "loving act". There are overriding principles that can be applied to various "rules" in the bible, and allow us to discard some over others.

Cherry picking.

I maintain that some of your examples of animal "morality" is anthropomorphism. There are also plenty of examples in the animal kingdom of deceit, injustice, cruelty, cannibalism…

As there are amongst humans.

Even though it is true that we are totally dependent of our civilization for our ease (food, shelter, clothing), most people are unaware of it.

If we evolved with it, I can't see why we would have to be aware of it. It's just us. It's how we're 'hard wired'.

we don’t kill because there is an imposed morality from the larger society

I can't see myself killing if I'd been born on an island with 50 people and we had no idea about religion. Even if there were no rules written down. It's more an unspoken rule. We all know it's wrong.

That morality, like it or not, derives from Judeo-Christian thought.

Explain cultures without that influence who are morally good.

Explain how we survived thousands of years before the Judeo-Christian religion came along if we were all killing each other, which you have to admit we were doing if morality comes from that religion.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I've recently started researching the Egyptian book of the dead, so this is worth mentioning too.

There are good moral guidelines to be found in that, and they were written around 1800BC.

The Schofield Reference Bible estimates that the Hebrew Exodus from Egypt and the provision of the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai occurred in 1491 BCE., some three centuries later. Thus, many religious liberals, historians, and secularists have concluded that the Hebrew Scripture's Ten Commandments were based on this earlier document, rather than vice-versa.

A comparison of the Book of the Dead text with the version of the Ten Commandments found in Exodus 20:2-17 is striking. Both consist of a series of negative statements.

Comparing another translation of the Book with the King James Version of Exodus:

bulletBook of the Dead: "I have done away sin for thee and not acted fraudulently or deceitfully. I have not belittled God. I have not inflicted pain or caused another to weep. I have not murdered or given such an order. I have not used false balances or scales. I have not purloined (held back) the offerings to the gods. I have not stolen. I have not uttered lies or curses."
    bulletExodus 20:7-16: "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain....Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not commit adultery...Thou shalt not bear false witness against they neighbor..."

For more information and more moral laws from the Book of the Dead, check here- http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_10cl.htm

• jgnat
    jgnat
    Me: I say all of mankind has it wrong.... a bit. God is all that is good, and none of us has the complete picture. SW: You cannot possibly know any of that. I understand it's what you believe, but why believe something you just can't know? Why not just say 'I don't know'?

You are working from a world construct. So am I. I work from the knowledge that God exists, based on my own, first-hand experience. Everything flowed from that. I have a strong preference for first-hand accounts and biographies, because I believe that generally people tell the best truths about themselves. I've read of the conversion of the Motilone Indians in South America, for instance, who preserved their own legends and beliefs in their larger belief in God.

(Who's SB?) - sorry about that. I have a mental block with names. I thought you were serotonin-beautiful. I'll switch to SW now....and maybe I can be NW, for Northwest.

SW: Cherry picking.

Weasel words. Respond more completely, and I'll continue to dignify this discussion. I say there are underlying principles that guide us on what we apply and what we discard. Living by underlying principles is not cherry picking. I've given two examples and two religions who do just that. Otherwise, I could choose to stone certain unsavory neighbours depending on my mood and the time of day. I cannot and I will not, because my life is guided by underlying principles. Remember, Jesus was tested on the most important commandment. And he did comment. There are some commandments that take precedence over others. So we know at least that this has been an object of debate for over 2,000 years. Otherwise I'm a fundamentalist, and I'm certainly not that.

NW: I maintain that some of your examples of animal "morality" is anthropomorphism. There are also plenty of examples in the animal kingdom of deceit, injustice, cruelty, cannibalism… SW: As there are amongst humans.

But I thought your argument is that goodness can be learned from the examples provided in nature. Are you saying that deceit, injustice, cruelty, and cannibalism are "good"?

NW: Even though it is true that we are totally dependent of our civilization for our ease (food, shelter, clothing), most people are unaware of it. SW: If we evolved with it, I can't see why we would have to be aware of it. It's just us. It's how we're 'hard wired'.

But, people are not hard wired for 'good'.

SW: I can't see myself killing if I'd been born on an island with 50 people and we had no idea about religion. Even if there were no rules written down. It's more an unspoken rule. We all know it's wrong.

That's cute, you idealist you. How about those chimpanzees, eh? Where did they learn to murder?

SW: Explain cultures without that influence who are morally good.

You haven't defined 'good' yet. Most of the examples you've given are from Judeo-Christian thought. Not surprising, considering that is your cultural background.

SW: Explain how we survived thousands of years before the Judeo-Christian religion came along if we were all killing each other, which you have to admit we were doing if morality comes from that religion.

Murderers and tyrants survive, dominate, and conquer. To be at the "top" all that is required is superior breeding and staying power .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit