First Christmas...Help!

by BigBloomerz 24 Replies latest social family

• Carl_Hernz
    Carl_Hernz

What may be the most helpful in deciding what to do for your first Christmas may have more to do with
    your family and friends’ view of the holiday. If they are from a religion like Catholicism, Episcopalian,
    or Lutheran, they view the celebration as a religious feast (meaning a date chosen to commemorate a
    historical event, and not necessarily the historical date itself). If they are very religious they will
    celebrate the holiday closer to the actual 25th of December and for about 12 days following up to Epiphany.
    Before that they celebrate Advent for four weeks leading up to Christmas. This means different customs and
    different decorations for both Advent and Christmas, and sometimes a celebration on the 12th night (known
    as, what else, Twelfth Night).

If they are of a different Protestant branch from the above mentioned, they may only celebrate the day of
    Christmas. In this case it is not a religious feast but a religious memorial. Once the date of Christmas is
    over, for many of them the celebrating comes to an end.

It may be they are like many who are somewhere in the middle that tend to follow the secular way of
    celebrating. There is no Advent or Twelve Days of Christmas, and they decorate or follow certain customs but
    aren’t sure why (they generally all have specific religious meanings for the first few religions mentioned).
    They play Christmas carols from Thanksgiving until December 25th and enjoy parties and gatherings without
    much concern about the religious connections. This doesn’t make the celebration any less enjoyable, just less
    of a religious emphasis.

Regardless of the way you choose to celebrate, it is best to find out how those you are celebrating view the
    holiday. Then adjust as you best can conscientiously. Don’t worry about sending out so many number of cards or
    what kind of lights or decorations to use or what foods to serve. It is about enjoying the customs and in some
    cases learning about them. If you have more stress than fun, it isn’t worth it, even if you aren’t a
    Witness anymore.

• Fleur
    Fleur

I want to congratulate you on your first Christmas. I remember mine so well, I was newly married and it was really sweet. It can be completely overwhelming to someone who has never celebrated, but I explained about never having celebrated to my husband's family and they were so kind and understanding and helped me learn the ropes :) fortunately for them it's not really a religious thing, so I didn't have to factor in going to church or anything which was good because I'm agnostic now so that wouldn't have been fun for me.

I went wayyyyyyyyy overboard LOL a couple of years in there especially on gifts for my child because I was overcompensating for her having to put up with the jw stuff on the other side of the family. But it worked LOL she loves christmas. She has also been taught that the real purpose of it is giving, not getting and reminding the people we love that we love them.

The Holidays can get expensive really fast- especially if your sweetie has a big family. Some families especially if they're large divide up people and kind of do a secret santa type of thing where you only buy for one or a couple people.

We've scaled way back on holiday spending and this year will be my most minimal Christmas yet. I'm looking forward to the gifts that can't be bought- time together especially. I'm looking forward to the little traditions we've created of our own. I think the best thing you can do is ask your sweetie what the people in his family like- and then he can help you gift shop. You can do it together :)

And whatever you do, enjoy it!!! : )

essie

p.s. hope this post makes sense i missed my nap this afternoon LOL

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

if you know someone is into music........ get them a gift card for a cd or something, that way they know you were actually thinking of them not just throwing 20 bucks their way.

as for what to bring to the dinner........ your lucky that your mother in law gonna cook........ so fix a bad a$$ desert.... one of those you should only eat half a piece but instead you eat two

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

For the past few years, I've needed to help my man get presents for his family, friends, and coworkers. Now, if it were just my little circle I was buying for, I'd be done in no time, but he's got a huge list of people to buy for, and absolutely no time to do his own shopping. I've found myself driving in circles all over the state of Maine (after dark, in blizzard season) tracking down the "perfect gift" for a bunch of folks I've never even met in some cases. And what the heck am I supposed to get for his ex-wife? It can quickly become an unpleasant chore if I let it!

Last year, I had the brilliant idea to streamline the whole affair. Everyone on The List received books. I went to a Barnes and Noble with a list of everyone's interests, and they got books they hopefully enjoyed. Except for a few special extras, all my shopping was done in one store, and I had time to relax in the coffee shop before heading home. Of course, I told my honey that I'd sent all the women on his list (ex-wife, sisters, teenaged neices) sexy lingerie, and all the men got copies of the movie Brokeback Mountain. I had actually believing that for a couple of days, before I broke down and told him it was just books.

This year, everyone might all get cd's. Or they might all get handcrafted pottery pieces made to order by my cousin. Or they might all get hand-knit scarves made by me. Probably not the scarves, though- I should have started those months ago! The important thing is not to stress over it. Christmas should be a fun time. Spend what you can afford, and don't overthink it.

Jingle jingle!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I had a friend who bought everyone the same Christmas gift. I thought it was such a practical idea. One year everyone got a bottle of wine, another year everyone got a books. He gave CDs, DVDs, gift certs for books, cds or dvds, gloves, scarves, that sort of thing. My friends and I have developed some traditions over the last 15 years. We get together and cook, make soap, make herb mixes, that sort of thing. Piles of stuff. And then we divide the piles so that each of us has enough for about ten gift baskets to pass out. We always make fruitcake - homemade fruitcake is delicious and very easy to make in quantities and you can make it ahead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit