I'm in love and I need your help

by lola28 16 Replies latest jw friends

• lola28
    lola28

I went to Borders yesterday to buy a book and this Borders happens to be next door to Petsmart, as I'm driving in I notice a group of people with dogs and I realize it's Adopt a pet Sunday, I love animals so I made a mental note to go by and see the dogs. So fifteen minutes later, I spot her sitting by herself in a corner and I'm in love. Her name is Peaches, I called her and she ran up to me a licked my hand. I wanted to take her home right away, but instead I got in my car an went home.

Here's a link to her info http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9348680

I will be a first time dog owener,do any of you know anythung about this breed and what to expect? I really like her but I don't want to get her on the spur of the moment, any info you guys can give me will be welcomed.

Lola

• heathen
    heathen

I know that breed stars in the old taco bell commercials ...LOL getto taco bell ........

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Jack Russells and Chihuahuas are smart. Chiuahuas (and Russells to some extent)
    usually don't realize that they are little tiny dogs. They think they are big, but they are
    not mean unless trained that way.

2 years old- means you don't have to train the dog so much. That's easier than a puppy.

Try to observe the dog around people and the other dogs before taking her home. That
    way, you might eliminate the possibility that she has mental issues or is skiddish. If
    she acts brave or fairly normal, she should be a great pet. If she's cowardly, you might
    love her still, but be mindful that she might be difficult for you to care for.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Chihuahua's are very nervous dogs, so if she wasn't skittish that means she'll have more of the temperment of the Jack Russell terrier in a smaller package. She seems a lot like a shrunk down Jack Russell (a toy Jack?), she's precious. My advice? Go get her! Figure the rest out as you go.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

One thing you should do is get a dog kennel when you get the dog. Put a towel in there and if you are not home, keep her in there. Dogs actually feel safe in a kennel...and it keeps them out of trouble. It is also good to let her sleep in it too. If dogs sleep with you, they often feel like they are "at your level" in the pecking order, which can lead to behaviour problems. Keep in mind that dogs have a "wolf pack" mentality and you need to be the top dog. Feed yourself first, then the dog...go through the door first, then let her in....make her sut before you take her out for a walk. Those are all things that will show her you are the boss, and make her very content to be you dog. It's lots of fun!!

If you can ever watch "Dog whisperer" on TV....it has great advise!

Good luck!! Let me know if you have any questions!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Leola28..I say go for it..Chihuahuah`s are cool little dogs..I have to bring small treats to my daughters house..Her Chihuahauh can`t eat the big treats my dog does..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Jack Russels have TONS of energy, so don't get her unless you can properly walk and exercise with her. Chihuahuas are generally very protective and have attachment issues but with the right training make extremely good dogs! Good luck.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

IS THE DOG FIXED?? Are you prepared to commit? Can you afford the comitment? Do you have the time and space?

Yes to all 4? Do it!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Leola28..Just saw a pic of the dog you want..It looks like it has alot of Jack Russel in it..These are high energy dogs and all muscle..They will play until they are exhausted..You will have to spend alot of time with it,or they become very unhappy..They are great little friends...OUTLAW

• Makena1
    Makena1

Cute pup! My only experience with Jack Russell's was with a neighbors dog. Sweet disposition, but soooo full of energy. They left the dog alone in the yard a lot - so it followed its nature by digging holes throughout the back yard. Here's a good link about their characteristics: http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/jackrussellterriers.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit