Did You Willingly Get Baptized or Were You Pressured Into It?

by minimus 48 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I was pressured cause they told me the end is any time now, get baptized FAST !!!

Oh, that was almost 20 years ago !!! and still waiting for my

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I was raised a witness, I almost escaped at 18, then I fell in love with a girl from the hall. I felt a pressure from some where to get married in the hall, so I had to get baptized. That was 72. I took the organizaton seriously till Jan 1, 76.

• wizardca
    wizardca

was 15 when i got dunked. no real pressure from anyone. my mom wasnt so sure i was ready, but didnt stop me. at the time i thought it was the right thing to do...whole family was there, blah blah blah...then at 19 faded away.

• yknot
    yknot

The pressure starts at 14, by 15 everyone was baptized in my KH, all but me.

Everyone I knew who got baptized before adulthood did so to please their parents. All of them were disfellowshipped or on "serious" reproof by 17 and running wilder then frat boy. As for me, I made a point about ranting on about dedication to Jehovah was not on the same level as membership into a "spirit-led" organization, that it was blasphemous. This doused my being "approved" for baptism very quickly.

For the record unless a child is dying, child baptism is for the numbers only!

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

As I was reading this thread it occurred to me, I aint sure when exactly I got baptized. Was early 70's, somewhere between 70 and 72. Was at a district convention and the pool was actually at someones house. Do not recall any real pressure to get baptized, then again do not recall much about the event so who knows... null and void at this point....

• stillajwexelder
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

eyes open and willingly in my 20s - I was not raised in da troof

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Age 16 with a 26 year old man so that we could get married in the Kingdom Hall! Does anyone see anything wrong with that picture?

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Pressured, BIG TIME, especially by my step mom's side of the family. It was just the expected thing to do when I was 15 and expected to make such a life altering change. My grandma also was driving the pressure hard and so were the local elders. Dad thought it was the "right thing to do" also, but never pressured like the others. I was mature enough, BUT, I didn't want to do it. I did it so people would get off my back.

• minimus
    minimus

When you think of it, children become "ordained ministers"! Pre-teen ordained ministers! 9 year old boy "ministers". It's just so ridiculous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit