Did You Willingly Get Baptized or Were You Pressured Into It?

by minimus 48 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I think "kids" are too young to be "ordained ministers".

• R.F.
    R.F.

I got baptized willingly at the age of 20. My dad actually seemed to try to talk me out of it from the way he sounded. We were on our way to the assembly and he asked me 3 times at least...."now are you REALLY SURE you want to get baptized??"

• minimus
    minimus

I would not get my baptism invalidated because as a 9 year old boy, I knew exactly what I was doing.

• silkribbon
    silkribbon

pressured 1975 was coming

• noni1974
    noni1974

I was 19 when I got dunked.My little sister was doing it and she was 17.I kept getting asked "so Naomi when are you going to get baptized"?So I did it.I felt no joy in it and I felt like I had to do it to be accepted in my family.All of them are JW's.I'm a 4th generation.

I never did get the aceptance I was looking for.I am and always have been the odd man (girl) out.The black sheep.The middle child.The evil one.

• freyd
    freyd

Quote: "I think "kids" are too young to be "ordained ministers".

And dubs say they don't believe in infant baptism.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Well i was baptised at the age of 25, i was pressured initially by my bible study conductor who tried to fit it in with the length of the 'Knowledge that leads to eternal life' book but when that didn't happen he eased off a bit and i did it in my time.

So i suppose i did it willingly in the end, because i thought it was the right religion, it was the right thing to do and i wanted to please God.

What a load of shite.

• 4digitcode
    4digitcode

maybe not pressured but firmly reminded i had been studying for a while and 'what is holding you back?'

so i took the plunge a few months later.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Of course there is pressure to get baptized. If you don't, they all look at you like you have horns or something. So, I did it, finally. Even though I still had doubts and wasn't sure that this is what I wanted. But, I had to make my dad happy. Stupidest thing I've ever done.

• tribalgirl
    tribalgirl

I was 12, which, of course, is the best time. You know everything at that age, right?

I can't really say that I was pressured, except for the weekly reminders from the podium that we needed to be baptised...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit