Anyone live in the country or have a mini farm?

by BrentR 34 Replies latest jw friends

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

Hi Brent,

We live on 3 acres in the Blue Mountains, about 60 miles west of Sydney at about 2700 feet and have been here for the past 20 years. We originally moved here to be able to have a large garden with lots of privacy - which we do have. You can see for about 9-10 miles over the Jamison Valley from the house.

Would not trade living here for the city. Like you we bought rather cheaply, but our property values have skyrocketed as others have decided to move out of the city. One thing though: while we cannot be seen from any public road, the J-Dubs use the aerial photos from the council.....

h9k

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

My honey and I live in a semi-rural area. Neighbors across the road, but we've got a big yard, and out back it's all forest and hiking trails. Absolutely lovely, and we're only a few minutes from the beach. We both grew up in big cities, so we're especially conscious of how peaceful it is here, and how nice it is to take a deep breath and smell only pine trees.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I grew up on a mini farm and I sure miss it! I live in Tacoma now, but I was lucky enough to find a secluded lot with acreage, and a view of the valley below. I have a garden, a koi pond, and a mini orchard. Here are some photo's of the lovely Washington fog rolling into the valley below.

• BrentR
    BrentR

Those are great pics Liquid sky, I love fog especialy when it is just rising off the ground or rolling in.

I did not realize how many here do have some acreage. It is great reading about your home and locations and some of the things you do with it. I think our society would be a bit more civil if we were not packed so close together in cities and suburbs. My wife and I rarely go camping because we have nothing to get away from and find most campgrounds a nightmare to visit.

Those of you that want to move out of the city I hope you get a chance to go for it. Any time I fly in a plane I am reminded just how much wilderness there is and that you don't have to leave civilization completely to have some space. Right now my windows and doors are open and all I hear is a few birds and absolutely nothing else. Our few distant neighbors are like family to us and we help each other out all the time.

• tnangel73
    tnangel73
    Honesty:

It is called the Walland Gap.

P.S. For you westerners, a gap is sort of like a pass.

Hey, I recognize that. But you already know that.

I live on 3 acres in the woods. Very close to a small town of about 3500 people. Up the road, 9/10ths of a mile are pastures. I always say cows are my neighbors.

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

This is near my home - Narrowneck in the early morning

h9k

• tribalgirl
    tribalgirl

We live on 40 acres far away from city life. I can't imagine going back to it. We actually are building a house on our acreage right now. It's a build-as you-can type house. We are doing most of the work ourselves, so it is taking a lot longer than getting a loan. The trusses go on in 2 weeks!!!

We have lived in a huge army tent for the last four years while we build, it's been a blast!

• BrentR
    BrentR

Holy cow! That is hardcore to say the least. But it sounds like it will be worth it when you get it completed. Out land package took two years and we had a contractor steal $20k from us but we still managed to get the house finished. If you have the will you can find a way.

I hope it goes well for you and keep us posted on the progress.

Hal9000, that is a great pic. It's always cool to see clouds below you and not above.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I live in a small country town near a larger town and big city. Until I read some of the other responses, I thought I had it better than you all:) Ok, I am from an area generally that is tight and crowded and busy. Moving to a small town feels like paradise to ME. We have a quarter acre in a normal suburban type neighborhood that is (too) close to the local grocery stores. We are also close to farmers markets. lumber mills and various other kinds of 'country' things, like a co-op and old fashioned hardware store. The only thing open on Sunday is the Blue Bird Cafe (and it is exactly what you'd think). I love my little town, my 1/4 acre and the fact that civilization ends (in one direction) about 5 blocks from my house. I know it will build up, but right now it is just what we need for my husband to get to work, my daughter to college and me-shopping for my new house:) I really love it here. I have dahlias:)

Looking at the various descriptions and pictures posted, I can tell we are really a blessed and lucky group of people. Some of the views-breathtaking! Our house sales flyer says it has a view, but I haven't seen the mountains yet, weather needs to clear up! I see the mountains all the time NEAR my house, but when I get home, I am so busy living in it that I am not gazing out of it much!

What is the saying-you are only rich when you are happy with what you have. Right now I am quite wealthy!

• tribalgirl
    tribalgirl

I am really looking forward to hot/cold running water and lights that come on with the flick of a switch. LOL

We did get our electricity hooked up about a year ago, I think APS finally took pity on us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit