Anyone live in the country or have a mini farm?

by BrentR 34 Replies latest jw friends

• BrentR
    BrentR

It seems alot of members here live in the burbs or city so I was wondering who else besides me lives on acreage or rural areas?

I live on eight acres at the base of the Cascade foothills. A half mile away the power lines stop and the old logging roads start. At 1000' elevation we get a litlte more snow and cooler temps then the lowlands. Our closest neighbor is 800' away and that is close enough for me even though they are great people.

When the weather is clear we have great view of Mt Rainier and the Bald hills which are topped with snow most of the winter. Everyday we see assortment of wildlife right outside the window. My daughter and I today are picking and juicing some of the wild apples that grow around here. Even though my wife and I both drive thirty plus miles to work I would not want to live any where else. My commute takes me past neighborhoods where the houses are only 10-12 feet apart and I can't imagine being that close to a neighbor. I do not want to see someones window when I look out of mine. And to know they paid $300-400,000 for a house with a postage stamp yard makes my head spin.

We have a couple pygmy goats and a dozen chickens for eggs along with dogs and cats. Next spring we may get an alpaca if it gets along with the pygmies OK. The community here is a very safe and healthy place to raise my daughter and she absolutely loves seeing all the wild animals.

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

NOT FAIR! Brent...when did you die? You are already in paradise!

LINDA

• watson
    watson

You obviously would NOT be interested in the latest Watchtower and Awake magazines?

• BrentR
    BrentR

One more bonus is the dubs rarely make out here since our house cannot even be seen from any paved road.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Anyone live in the country or have a mini farm?

I drive a Mini!

• emy the infidel
    emy the infidel

Brent that sounds soooo beautiful. I was just out in CA a few weeks back, and was taken with how beautiful it is out west.

Here it's humid most of the time, not now though. We have a view of the Blue Ridge Mts. that are probably foot-hills compared to what you have. There are forests all around too, but the neighbors are closer than what you have.

• loosie
    loosie

Well unfortnately I live in the city. But I do have a larger backyard and I have a bunny farm. My hubby and I run a rabbit rescue. we would love to live on the edge of town in a small farm house.

Your place sounds lovely.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Cool thread, Brent!

We are indeed making our way out in that direction... have bought hard-wood property and have plans to have goats (gods I just LOVE goats, they are such cool folks... hahahaha) and a very small farm (mostly to get the agricultural tax-break, but we do LOVE having gardens.)

Right now we are living in a suburban house intended for resale while we make plans to build on the property, and we have raised beds front and back that we are enjoying immensely. We have to derive our vicarious pleasure from reading stories such as yours in our hobby farm magazine subscriptions for the nonce!

Cheers!
    Baba.

• choosing life
    choosing life

We live in town, but I would love to move out to the country. Just have to convince the husband. Not so easy. Your place sounds wonderful. Enjoy!

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Brent- Your place sounds wonderful! I can just imagine the natural beauty of where you live.

We live in a similar situation. I live in rural Alaska, about 40 miles north of the entrance to Denali National park. You can see other mountains from our house, but you can actually see Mt. Mckinley on a clear day from the end of our driveway. (the lay of the land blocks it from view at our house) It's peaceful and quiet and I don't think I could see myself living anywhere else. The moose come to forage outside our living room picture window and lynx, coyote, ptarmagin, porcupine, snowshoe hare, and bear have been seen around.

My girls go to school at a small small school at a nearby town. The elementary consists of two classes, one with K-3 and the other has 4-6. I work as both the school librarian and community librarian. (same library) Everyone knows each others name and no one goes without. There was a family building a house here this summer and half the town pitched in to help them get their walls and roof up. In fact, you might have seen us in the news not too long back as the Alaskan town who gave away land.

http://web.mac.com/dbsd/iWeb/Site/City%20of%20Anderson.html

The downside is that I live 80 miles from the nearest grocery store. We'll soon be investing in a more fuel efficient car!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit