An email from my Dad on Bible Chronology - Armegeddon's arrival

by eclipse 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eclipse
    eclipse

I cannot provide any background info on my dad except to say that he is not an attender anymore, but is not apostate.

Years ago, my dad showed me why he thought 1975 was wrong, and he gave me a date like 2011, 2012...back in 2004.

It actually made sense to me back then, and obve's posts reminded me of my dad's calculations....

only my dad's calculations were not based on addition or multiplying of RANDOM CRAZY NUMBERS,

but actually were logical assumptions based on the scriptures as he understood them.

Here is his email to me...it might be lengthy, but it is easy to follow and understand.

(Sorry for the large font, it was the font he used in the email. I changed my name obviously.)

Hi (Eclipse). Regarding a date to armageddon , I don't have a clue. Regarding "that generation will by no means pass away" is the key scripture. The definition of the word generation is the key to understanding this scripture. But the most important factor is what did the word "generation mean to Jesus? If he meant a whole group of people from the time of their birth till their death living at the same time in a period of time that fits the description he discusses. When Jesus uttered these words, he was 33 and a half years old in 33 AD. He was predicting the destruction of Jerusalem . That destruction occured in 70AD, 37 years later. The generation of his days would have been people he was talking to averaging his age. of course there were old folks then who did not live to see that event, because of being too old at that time. So if Jesus had remained on the earth to witness that event, he would be then 70 years old. well within the average lifespan of humans. But alluding to the end of this wicked system of things, by adding the word " this generation will by no means pass away" indicates that generation could go to the last living individual, meaning that that person could be very well advance in age like say 101 years old. So this indicates that this generation would go to the very last survivors, having live longer than the average 70 to 80 years of age. So now a person born in 1914, a person living to a hundred would die in 2014. If this is the case, then that generation born since 1914, some are still living , though the few remaining are fast dwindling in numbers. So Armageddon is very fast approaching still within that generation that must not pass away before the end stikes. The witnesses , before thought that a generation would be starting at an age of understanding, about 14 years of age, and would end at 70 or 80 years of age. thence they reasoned that a person borned in 1900 would have been 14 years old in 1914. So if the average life span is 70 to 80 years, that would mean that that generation would end at most in 1980. From Bible chronology ,they had calculated that the end of 6000 years of human existence on earth since Adam's creation in 4026 BCE would end in 1975. Hence their calculation; because of there being no 0 Year The number 0 was invented by the Arabs centuries later, 4026BCE to 1 BCE = 4025 years 1BCE to 1CE = 1 year 1CE to 1975CE = 1974 TOTAL 6000 years So 1975 was dead center between 1970 to 1980 the average lifespan of humans of 70 to 80 years old born in 1900. So it made perfect cence that their calculations were accurate. Obviously 1975 and 1980 have gone by and no armaguedon. The witnesse had to re-evaluate the meaning of the word generation. Now they understand that a generation contains the full number of years of a complete lifespan. And some humans do reach the age of 100 + some even reaching 120 years of in some countries. In fact they, the scientists, are gathering the data of the diets of these natives and incorporating these plants in longevity diets. Back in the early 70s I did not believe that armaguedon would strike in 1975. I believed that 1975 was indeed the end of 6000 years of human history. It would appear from my standpoint that the starting point of counting from the Creator's point of view would start at the beginning of His day of Rest. Adam was created BEFORE God's day of rest. Adam was alone on earth for an unknown number of years. Say 30 years then Eve was created still BEFORE God's Day of Rest. Say 6 years. So say 4 years before God's day of rest. So 4026 BCE + 36 Years = 3990BCE We expect for the Creator to allow wickedness for 6000 years So 3990 to 1 BCE = 3989 years 1BCE to 1CE = 1 year 1CE to 2007 = 2006 years TOTAL 5996 years So 4 years later brings us to the year 2011, totalling 6000 years . If these were accurate DIVINE numbers , and of course they are not. that would put Armagedon in 2011 CE Remember these are assumptions!! But it illustrates that the Day of rest would be the START point of counting. So since no man knows that starting point they cannot calculate the excact date of the end of 6000 years of human rule. This is how I understood the count down to Armagedon back in 1970. So far these calculations are sticking to facts, but that does not mean that I am correct. Only time will tell. AS Jesus so pointedly said: "NO man knows the day or the hour!! So Eclipse, you can come to your own conclusions. More to come. I love you dearly Eclipse. Your beloved Dad
  • AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Hi Ms Eclipse,

I bought a second-hand "reasoning" book the other month, and someone had scribbled their own calculations on a bookmark - also pointing to a date around 2010.

I'll dig it out and post it here... it looks like they also scrubbed the idea of 1975 out - hence the reason that the book was probably donated to a charity shop in the first place.

I will also have a look over your post when I get home from work - and post a proper reply

• *summer*
    *summer*

a thought in a kinda alignment with your father's email... "Why did the Mayan calendar stop? The astronomer priests of the long-lost Mayan civilisation were fascinated by the movements of Venus. Though only partial fragments of their knowledge survive, we know they saw enormous significance in what we today, call a ‘transit’. With astonishing precision, they worked out every date when Venus would pass across the face of the Sun, right through to 2012. Then their calculations stopped. Did they run out of stone on which to carve their calendar? Did they think the world was going to end? Or were they making a much more amazing prophecy?"

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Hi eclipse..

very interesting email indeed..... your dad was ahead of his time. Sounds like he is a thinker... and we can tell that the apple does not fall far from that tree.

...but Eclipse, as you and I almost everyone on JWD knows, all of this so-called chronology is a load of garbage anyway.

As far back as 1988 I used to study Bible chronology until the wee hours of the morning. (I had no social life). The subject fascinated me, just as math fascinated me (although I am not as good at it now)... My conclusion, back in about 91 or 92, was that if the Society did not hurry up and change their tune on "this generation", they were going to get caught with their pants down.

Fast forward to a few years and the 1995 WT "generation" study articles.... all focused on one Greek word: tote (sp?, pronounced toe tay). Changing "This generation" from Jesus's contemporaries (in the prophecy of his time), and the 1914 generation (of the 20th century), to any generation of people alive at the time of the event (Jerusalem's topple/modern fulfillment). This produces a floating time line without the restrictions of a bunch of aging/dying people. How convenient for the Society.

So now the Society has attempted to pull up its trousers from around its feet with this adjustment. Too bad they still have droopy drawers, and they still look just as foolish as the young men who walk around with their oversized trousers hanging off their butts with their boxer shorts showing....the Society's shorts are still showing....Who knows what other foolish style they will attempt to pull on the R&F?

ahhhhh well.... at least I don't have to worry about any of it anymore...... see you in a couple days in TO

Snakes ()

• eclipse
    eclipse

Sounds like you were way ahead of them while in the borg, snakes

I think my dad still sees them as god's messengers...though he hasn't gone to a meeting in a long time.

I don't think he will ever go back either, for personal, not doctrinal, reasons.

His reasons for leaving were entirely personal...that is why I dont call him apostate...

He thinks they are good men that are sincere, just imperfect.

I wanted to know what he thought, and I had asked him...I dont agree with any of it...don't worry.

Just wanted to share this with others...and get their thoughts if they wanted to share them.

• Satanus
    Satanus

What throws a wrench into that version is what jesus said about knowing the date. He said that even he himself didn't know it. That meant that even jesus, or micheal the archangel, the cocreator or actual creator, didn't know when creation stopped. Strange, isn't it? I wonder what your dad's thoughts on that would be.

S

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I have a few questions about this. Not sure if he could answer them or someone else, but...

Why does your dad say

When Jesus uttered these words, he was 33 and a half years old in 33 AD

when he already knows that

The number 0 was invented by the Arabs centuries later

Wouldn't that make Jesus 32 and a half years old in 33AD?

How does he jump from this-

that generation could go to the last living individual, meaning that that person could be very well advance in age like say 101 years old.

to this-

So this indicates that this generation would go to the very last survivors

?

He was predicting the destruction of Jerusalem . That destruction occured in 70AD, 37 years later. The generation of his days would have been people he was talking to averaging his age.

From research I've done, the average lifespan back then was 50-60 years old. 32 or 33 (Jesus' age) plus 37 years equals 69 or 70 years, well over the average lifespan for the time. The generation he was talking about couldn't have been around his age.

• oompa
    oompa

This is deja vu eclipse. My dad and I discussed your dads email like 20 years ago. His added thought on your dads mail was that a perfect woman would likely conceive very quickly......that not many years would go by before this happened and she she sinned before that event. Too many years have gone by now to justify that point in relation to 6000 years of mankinds creation.

follow me???....God I hope not!.....I would like to see our dads together......oompa (mine still in...diehard elder)

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

I love your dad's open mind. It takes critical thinking to beable to do such calculations and unlike the WTS, he doesn't claim it to be factual. God's time isn't our time anyway. His calculations are totally different than those of us humans. to your dad, he gives us something to ponder over. Way to go dad!

LINDA

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

eclipse:

Sounds like you were way ahead of them while in the borg, snakes

Not so much my friend.... this should have been logical common sense to anyonewith half a brain ...but without the rose colored blinders that many of us had on for so long.

Snakes ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit