Questions For Those That Entered the Armed Forces After Practicing JWism

by R.F. 24 Replies latest jw friends

• R.F.
    R.F.

With having so many close to me serve in the armed forces, it only helps me appreciate even more those that serve in them. I've had 7 uncles and a grandfather serve in the U.S. Army, another grandfather in the U.S. Navy, my late brother-in-law served for 6 years in the Air Force right on up to his death earlier this year, and my father also served in the Air Force in his pre-JW days.

Even while being a very devout JW, I still had the utmost respect and appreciation for those serving.

From what I understand after chatting with many of you is that some among us on JWD have entered the military after leaving the religion. My questions to you are.......

How long after you left the religion did you enter the AF?

How did your family react to you entering? That is, if they were/are still part of the religion.

How was/is the overall military experience for you?

Thanks!

R.F.

• changeling
    changeling

Have you seen: In the Valley of Ellah?

Please don't join the AF till you do.

changeling

• R.F.
    R.F.

I didn't say I was entering, i'm asking out of curiosity.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Just in case it is more than curiousity, I have to say this.

I don't cast any judgment on those that are or have been there.
    But running away from a current situation by joining the military
    is not a decision to enter into lightly. Asking questions is fine.
    Joining is fine. Just be sure you have your priorities straight and
    do what you really want to do.

Even the thread title made me sure you had already joined to get
    away from JWism.

• R.F.
    R.F.

I changed my thread title to hopefully eliminate confusion, but i'll say......

I'M NOT PLANNING ON ENLISTING!!! I'M JUST CURIOUS. I HAVE OTHER PLANS AS TO WHAT I WANT TO DO WITH MY LIFE.

Ok, hopefully that'll make things more clear.

• talley
    talley

*bumping*

• BFD
    BFD

My oldest brother enlisted in the Marines shortly after being DF'd. He served in the first Persian Gulf war and I am very proud of him. He really did come back a changed person and he never gave up his faith in God. He is now a Roman Catholic Eucharistic Minister.

BFD

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Check out the posts from The Humper.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/member/26776.ashx

He's a medic with the military.

• carla
    carla

And here's how jw's treat their own sons when coming home from the war-

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/index.php/jws-vs-the-world/sons-of-jehovahs-witnesses-return-from-iraq-without-welcome/#more-200

Luckily the Marines always take care of each other, they will have adoptive families all over the place.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi R.F. I have the utmost respect and admiration for those who serve in the armed forces. It is a noble profession. Something that many are doing, not because they need the money, or are disadvantaged as to thier living situation, but do it because of the love for thier country and the defense of standing up for what is right and just. Most are in the military because they truly desire to be there. I spent time in, though I had no one in my family in the truth to prevent me from going, I also was not a baptised brother at the time. Though I was viewed as a traitor afterwards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit