Cheers to all! I'm in the house now! Finally signed up.

by Lifeisfun 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lifeisfun
    Lifeisfun

Hi readers and lurkers,

I decided it was time to register to the site. After all these years, it was just a matter of time. I'm a born-in 27 yr old guy and have been fading for some months. It's been almost 7 years that I came in contact with TTAT and since a teenager I was known for being different and a bit of a rebel when it came to jw policies and doctrine. For example I didn't feel the need to sign a paper to promise I would do 50 or 30 hours of service if the vow was to God. Plus I could make those hours without the need of being a pioneer. I did go to college. I had no problem saying I go to nightclubs and would go out with girls without chaperones. But always with other Jws (I guess part-timers too, lol). Throwing parties, drinking alcohol, wearing a beard, etc. Among many other things that are commonly frowned upon. So in theory I have always been used to be looked at differently, but things were getting out of hand and some damage control was required.

The reason I was able to do all the jw-edgy stuff was because I was seen as very spiritual and active in the congregation (ever since I was a teenager). An exemplary brother, if you may. Yes, of course some people were a bit confused as to how this young spiritual brother would do these things and seemed to not care. And the elders seemed to no do anything. But I got away with it for many years. I was even some-what popular (for the wrong and right reasons) among the young in the area. Not that I'm proud of it now. But I honestly felt a bit hypocritical after a while. Jump to these past two years, and I became more public and open about my "questions" and discomfort with policies and rules, though I have had them for a very very long time. That didn't fly with some and I felt forced to make some changes.

After TTAT the internal battle I had caused me, and still does, depression and suicidal thoughts. I felt completely alone, and for the most part still do. I have less than a handful of people I still talk to but pretty much everybody else started to treat me as an apostate and rebel, but without the tittle. I felt the cold treatment and realized this would only end one way at the end. I know I had had some influence on others and they're going thru their struggle as well.

Anyways, that's a bit about me. I would like to meet other people. I have always been around jws and honestly have a hard time building a long lasting relationship with non-jws (I was always against using the "wordly" adjective). I'm from the Southwest Coast, USA. Hit me up. I'm pretty funny and outgoing, or so I've heard.

I seriously need some support and make new friends that offer true and unconditioned friendship. And if you're a girl, maybe something more. Haha.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Hey! Glad you signed up.

I'm interested in the mindset of current JWs and any specific doubts and questions they are having about the org, JW doctrine, etc. Also, how do JWs you know feel about the new website, JWTV, the videos, etc.? Anything you can share would be appreciated.

Are your parents both JWs? If so, are they having any doubts? Have you heard them make any negative comments?

For example I didn't feel the need to sign a paper to promise I would do 50 or 30 hours of service if the vow was to God. Plus I could make those hours without the need of being a pioneer.

I had similar feelings.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's great you've learned TTATT at your age -- the rest of you're life is still ahead of you!

Good luck,

Doc

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Welcome, if you have some anxiety throw my a PM I may have some similar experiences and things that helped me cope.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Life is fun, yes it is!

Welcome here and welcome to the rest of your life.

You have a PM.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Lifeisfun - "The reason I was able to do all the jw-edgy stuff was because I was seen as very spiritual and active in the congregation (ever since I was a teenager). An exemplary brother, if you may. Yes, of course some people were a bit confused as to how this young spiritual brother would do these things and seemed to not care. And the elders seemed to no do anything. But I got away with it for many years."

They clearly (and correctly) perceived you as a valuable asset to the Org and were therefore willing to look the other way, as long as you didn't say or do anything too egregious. I've seen it before.

x

It's the ones who slavishly follow the rules to the letter that end up getting busted more often than not, because all that pent-up repression can't help but eventually blow...

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Welcome Lifeisfun!

So glad you have freedom at this wonderful time in your life. Enjoy!

I would like to know a little more about your family situation. PM me if you are not comfortable to mention it here.

• clarity
    clarity

Well nice to see you here, welcome!

"And if you're a girl, maybe something more. Haha"

Something more in this woman's world would be support, a pat on the ...........back, ;-) , hot coffee & fresh apple pie! Sweety, accept help where ever you find it. You are set free now and will find unconditional love from all kinds, of all ages who will help you find a wonderful 'something more'. So from this "old enough to be your Granma" person, I wish you well and admire your smarts for waking up while you still have a lifetime ahead of you. Good Luck!

clarity

• Lifeisfun
    Lifeisfun
    Clarity - "Something more in this woman's world would be support, a pat on the ...........back, :wink: , hot coffee & fresh apple pie! Sweety, accept help where ever you find it. You are set free now and will find unconditional love from all kinds, of all ages who will help you find a wonderful 'something more'. So from this "old enough to be your Granma" person, I wish you well and admire your smarts for waking up while you still have a lifetime ahead of you. Good Luck!"

Yeah well, when I said "if you're a girl, maybe something more" I meant to say more than a friend. No, not a best friend or a super best friend (I know those tricks). See where that goes. But, I'd take one of your pies any time! Ha

• Giordano
    Giordano

After TTAT the internal battle I had caused me, and still does, depression and suicidal thoughts. I felt completely alone, and for the most part still do.

By now you know that this is one of the best places to go to get help for a successful exit out of the 'truth' . This is the Mayo Clinic for JW faders the DF or DA person. And it's free!

Leaving the JW's is a very common situation mostly because they do an excellent job of discouraging and boring everyone to death especially born-ins. A Pew survey on religion maintains that 67% of JW born-ins stop identifying themselves as JW's. That's probably the crowd they get for the memorial....that once a year colorful soul moving pageant an ex born-in goes to......... to pacify one's parents and afterwards says...Damn I just remembered why I left!

I see you mentioned depression and suicidal thoughts. If that continues then you should get face to face therapy.

The bad news is because you have been a witness for 27 years your brain is hard wired and stopping being a witness feels very out of whack for a few months, a year or two. It's not a terminal condition but it takes a little effort to lift the vail and see the world as it is.

There are thousands of people on this forum who are happy to help you get to where you need to be.

What helps is if you join in the discussions, ask questions, help other's, you'll make friends you probably will never see.

There are actual group meet ups all over the country of Ex Jw's if that helps.

About friendships, why so easy to make friends when you were a JW? A common purpose or pursuit, the opportunity for frequent contact and the time to allow a friendship to develop organically. Find a way to duplicate that and away you go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit