Do JW's ever go into churches for "new recruits"?

by Brymichmom 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

Ok, here's a new one for you. I run another discussion board on Yahoo for former JW's. Anyway, one of my members there said she was listening to Hank Hannegraff (Bible Answer Man) with Ron Rhodes and the discussion was about JW's going into churches for "new recruits".

He said the process goes as follows....The JW's don't tell anyone they are JW, they wait until the invitation, then when people go forward, they go as well and befriend new Christians and invite them to a bible study. He said it was referred to as "sheep stealing".

Now, I have never in my life heard of such a thing. I have been "out" since 1980, but in all my dealings with ex JW's, running a support group, etc.....even meeting newly out JWs, I have NEVER heard of anything like this.

Now, I am no fan of Hank Hannegraaf, (actually can't stand him), but I'd like to put this rumor to rest if it's not true.

Thanks.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I don't know of any JW's who would do this.

There may have been one odd case where some zealous dub took it upon themselves to do it, and that's what was discussed.

But to call it a 'new tactic' is untrue and misleading. Really if churches are so concerned about keeping their sheep "safe" from JW's, they should address the real battlefront -- what to do/say when JW's come a-knocking at their front door.

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

Hmmmm, during the time I was still in the Borg, I didn't DARE step foot into another church. I always felt it had Satan's spirit in it and would have bad effects on me. That's the impression JW's instilled in me. Have they changed their ways yet once again?

LINDA

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Not that I know of and I doubt that would happen since jws have a fear of churches put there by the society. Might melt on the spot.

• Enjoying freedom
    Enjoying freedom

I was in for 20 years (left 7 years ago) and never went into a church - it was certainly never encouraged.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I call B.S. on this one. Even though I've been out for a while, I know that the JWs instill a 'fear' of going inside other churches - even to the point of some folks not going to friends or family weddings if they are held in a church.

I think this fella is not aware of this 'fear', and is just spouting nonsense to try and panic his followers.

Regards,

Jim TX

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

This can't be true. I doubt JWs even know what invitation is.

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

There may have been one odd case where some zealous dub took it upon themselves to do it, and that's what was discussed.

Gopher, I totally agree. I can't think of one JW who would actually do that, but perhaps somewhere in the world there could be a "maverick" type JW who might do this. I hardly think that the elders in any congregation would encourage anyone to do this.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

sniff....snifff...sniffff...yep....BULL$HIT...

hey, I used to leave tracts in the door...and I always knocked on the rectory or pastor's residence....does that count?

Snakes ()

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom
    Not that I know of and I doubt that would happen since jws have a fear of churches put there by the society. Might melt on the spot.

Mrs. Jones, my own family would not go into the church when my grandmother died. This was my father's mother and he, my mother and my brother waited outside on the church steps while the funeral was going on inside. They would not step through that door. So my dad missed his mother's own funeral. The fear of going inside of any church is just enormous. I'm glad I was out by then and I was there for Grandma's funeral.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit