Do JW's ever go into churches for "new recruits"?

by Brymichmom 17 Replies latest jw friends

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Interstingly, when on a witness only bus trip to Austria, a visit to a catholic church was part of the sight seeing programme made by a brother.... Roughly halv went inside, the other halv did not... no big deal.... When a witness, I always visited churches as a tourist... All the time!!!

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The "rule of thumb" has been that a Witness can enter a church so long as services are NOT being held. I'd look it up on the CD, but I'm too lazy.

Dave

• Honesty
    Honesty

Sounds like "you know what" to me.

I don't know any self-respecting "Faithful Slave" worshiping JW who would set foot inside a church for anything.

The cross scares them too bad.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

The latest official policy is that if a JW attends services in another church, s/he is considered disassociated. I highly doubt this "tactic" was ever given the green light by Brooklyn, but was probably the actions of an overzealous dub who took it upon himself, undoubtedly imagining an article about him on the back of a future Awake. I wonder if the person that told this to you was really talking about how JWs would protest outside of churches back in the early Rutherford days.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

I think the person you are speaking about has the JW's mixed up with the Mormons! http://www.macgregorministries.org/mormons/warningpastors.htm

A WARNING TO PASTORS

Regarding .................

THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF

LATTER-DAY SAINTS

Pastors, ministerial associations, non-profit Christian organizations--you have been targeted by the Mormon Church.

Our ministry has received Mormon in-house documents that give instructions on how they are to infiltrate interdenominational gatherings, cozy up to Pastors, and otherwise present themselves as fellow evangelicals.

Careful instructions are given under the heading, "Love Thy Minister Neighbor". One subheading boldly claims "Win a Minister and Influence a Thousand". One section says, "Some LDS question the integrity of making friends with ministers while "out after their sheep". LDS are proclaiming the most glorious event since the resurrection of the Savior, the Restoration of the Lord's gospel. "

Of course, they are referring to the Mormon "restoration". and they want YOU, because if they get you, they figure they will get your flock too.

Under the Heading "Possible Things to Do", the LDS President is encouraged to:

l. Visit each minister at his church.

2. Attend special events at his church.

3. Invite him to lunch.

4. Attend clergy council as an observer or friend.

5. Send congratulations or recognitions whenever appropriate.

6. Offer a special shrub or tree for their new building.

7. Invite them to "clergy only" open house tours at new LDS churches.

8. Offer your service in response to their needs, such as fires, emer gencies etc.

9. Send flowers for special events such as Easter and Christmas.

Eight similar suggestions follow, but you get the picture!

One Pastor received the following letter from the LDS President in his city.

Dear Reverend ________:

I would like to introduce myself. I am President of the _________Stake, of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons). ..Our people are neighbors and friends with your people and work side by side with them .....in worthwhile endeavors for the betterment of our community.

I have long felt there are many more similarities in our teachings and objectives as church leaders than differences to keep us apart and from working together. It is my desire to discover and emphasize those similarities and work with you and the other spiritual leaders in our community to bring about the kinds of positive moral changes that can only come about through co-operation, mutual respect and understanding.

To this end I would like to give you a gift subscription to our major church publication, The Ensign...This monthly magazine will give you a birds-eye view into our happenings, our philosophies and our individual day-to-day struggles to internalize the example and teachings of Jesus Christ.

I would very much like to get to know you and explore areas where we, as spiritual shepherds, can work together to more fully bless our own congregations as well as our community at large".

(Signed).

We are happy to report that the Pastor who received this letter, pointed out to the Mormon writer that he could not, in good conscience participate in any joint activities, nor "buddy up" with him in order to make him appear as part of "mainstream Christianity".

He also defended the gospel when he said, "False teaching leads to false religion", and

"As you have probably experienced, there is still that emptiness in your heart that can ONLY be filled by Jesus Christ..It is difficult to break out, I understand, but many have...", "You need the cross for forgiveness of sin. Jesus' message is still the same, "repent and BELIEVE the gospel". Good response!

Cheers! Atlantis-

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom
    I think the person you are speaking about has the JW's mixed up with the Mormons! http://www.macgregorministries.org/mormons/warningpastors.htm

Atlantis, that does sound about right for Mormons. But my friend said that they were speaking specifically of JW's. Perhaps those on the Bible Answer Man, Hank Hannegraaf said JW's instead of Mormons. I never listen to the show, so I'm relying on my friend who said that she specifically heard them talking about JW's.

• oompa
    oompa

I always wanted to do that.

man was i messed up...oompa

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

naaah, couldn't be true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit