Let us PREY

by TopHat 11 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• TopHat
    TopHat

Scandal Brews at Oral Roberts University

By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS, AP Posted: 2007-10-06 22:35:48 Filed Under: Law News, Nation News TULSA, Okla. (Oct. 6) - Twenty years ago, televangelist Oral Roberts said he was reading a spy novel when God appeared to him and told him to raise $8 million for Roberts' university, or else he would be "called home."
    Photo Gallery: Trouble on Campus

Richard Roberts, seen in 2004, is the son of televangelist Oral Roberts and president of the university that bears his father's name. He's denied allegations of misconduct detailed in a lawsuit filed by three ex-professors.

1 of 6

Now, his son, Oral Roberts University President Richard Roberts, says God is speaking again, telling him to deny lurid allegations in a lawsuit that threatens to engulf this 44-year-old Bible Belt college in scandal.

Richard Roberts is accused of illegal involvement in a local political campaign and lavish spending at donors' expense, including numerous home remodeling projects, use of the university jet for his daughter's senior trip to the Bahamas, and a red Mercedes convertible and a Lexus SUV for his wife, Lindsay.

She is accused of dropping tens of thousands of dollars on clothes, awarding nonacademic scholarships to friends of her children and sending scores of text messages on university-issued cell phones to people described in the lawsuit as "underage males."

At a chapel service this week on the 5,300-student campus known for its 60-foot-tall bronze sculpture of praying hands, Roberts said God told him: "We live in a litigious society. Anyone can get mad and file a lawsuit against another person whether they have a legitimate case or not. This lawsuit ... is about intimidation, blackmail and extortion."

San Antonio televangelist John Hagee, a member of the ORU board of regents, said the university's executive board "is conducting a full and thorough investigation."
  • wednesday
    wednesday

spiritual warfare. lol

• TopHat
    TopHat

Do the members of ORU really believe that "GOD TOLD HIM"

How many fools are there?

• Gill
    Gill

People are extremely simple minded.

They cannot help but equate 'religion' with 'good'. This leaves them open to deception, as protection of religious freedom is enshrined in law. Hardly surprising that con artists feel free to manipulate this law and con the masses.

• robhic
    robhic

So, he (god) doesn't speak for thousands of years and all of a sudden he decides to break his millenia-long silence by telling these 2 hucksters that they need to raise money to one and to deny allegations leveled against the other? Sorry, I ain't buying it. W.C. Fields was right about a sucker being born every minute. Man, this level of ridiculousness makes my head hurt!!!

• Warlock
    Warlock

Let us PREY!!!!!??????

Good title, Toppy.

Warlock

• poppers
    poppers

When the light turns on cockroaches hide. Hiding behind "god" has to be the ultimate hiding place.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    When the light turns on cockroaches hide.

You might find some hiding in the air-conditioned dog house.

Warlock

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

I seemed to like John Hagee sermons on t.v. Revelation but what connection does he have with O.R.?

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

I had the great displeasure of attending a high school graduation at ORU earlier this year. The campus was clean but in great need of updating. Every building on the grounds was either white or a very ugly shade of gold metal. I believe the photo in the OP was taken in the assembly hall where the graduation was held. Take a look at the curtain behind jr in the photo. When you walk into the auditorium there are a couple of dozen rows of unused seats you have to walk past then you go through that curtain and you're in the hall. The curtain is used to fool the camera and make the hall seem full when over half of it is empty. I guess jr. doesn't have the draw of people that his daddy had.

Sarah said:

I seemed to like John Hagee sermons on t.v. Revelation but what connection does he have with O.R.?

The article mentions that Hagee is on the board of regents. I would bet that the situation is much like when Jerry Falwell took over the PTL board when Jim and Tammy Faye Baker were caught messing to much with the money that was stolen donated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit