What made you get baptized?

by Frequent_Fader_Miles 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Basically, I was forced into it. Believe me, baptism was the LAST thing I wanted to do. But I was already in my early twenties, and the rank and file were like ... after every Assembly and Convention. Then one day my mom approached me with an exasperated "Why don't you get baptised!" So there I was, still living with my parents, jobless, frustrated ... I gave in simply to keep the peace.

What was your story?

• nvrgnbk
  • Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Threatened so that I wouldn't die at Armageddon. I need to get baptized in order to receive the mark (Ezekiel 9:3,4)

Guilt trip used in order to get baptized to become an approved full-fledged publisher so that I would not to be bloodguilty (Ezekiel 33:6,8)

Intimidated into baptism so that I can now have a good conscience (1Peter 3:21)

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• oompa
    oompa

No pressure. Just a sheep or cow going along with the herd at 16....damn that pool....oompa

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The rush to get in before Armageddon struck. They kept claiming that it could come at any time, and if Jehovah thought I had been studying long enough and was still not baptized, that I was going to die.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

fresh out of the world and knew I wouldn't get laid anytime soon unless I was married. Baptism was necessary

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

It was my own decision at age 14. Maybe slight pressure from the congregation, but none from my parents as they were't witnesses yet. My uncle studied with me with my parents consent, and my parents did not object when I got baptized.

Back then, the questions were different. I truly believed I was dedicating myself to the God of the universe--never thought it was to the organization. However, somehow, the organization gradually took over.

BTW, my parents both became witnesses. I had a good relationship with them until recently. After my mother's death, my father found out I wasn't attending meetings and he disinherited me. Long story--I'll tell it sometime.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was 8. I remember looking out the window of my 3rd grade classroom at a big storm brewing outside. It looked like Armageddon was about to start...and I sat there wondering how I would get home and find my parents if it really was starting. I remember listening to a talk that said that the parent's dedication covered their children until the children reached an age where they understood.

At 8 I thought I understood. My parents were wary of letting me get baptized. They were close to Paul Havlin (circuit servant) and he talked to me to see if I really did understand. He was convinced that I did...and he related that to my parents.

Coffee

• south african beef
    south african beef

Pressure from my parents - how I wish now that I should have resisted, but at 18?

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Because my friends were, and I thought that that was what I was expected to do, not because I believed it.

Leslie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit