What made you get baptized?

by Frequent_Fader_Miles 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Honesty
    Honesty

Fear of being taken out by the JW's demon god at Armageddon.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Fear of being taken out by the JW's demon god at Armageddon.

That sounds like me too. I opted out at age 16 because I thought it was a lot of S*#T but began to fear as 1975 drew close. It was a little easier to fear since my Father used all opportunities to remind me that jehover was going to destroy me really soon now if I didn't smarten up. My first thought after getting dunked was ..well I made it now. The glow soon wore off as time passed and 1975 was in the past. A conflict in my mind with policies and doctrines especially dealing with DF'ing led me to question once again and I left for the last time in 1982.

I got my first computer in 1997 and one of the first things I did was search JW'S. The information filled in all the information gaps that I had. The WT can never pull the wool over anyone's eyes again. The only real increase from now on will come from the less computer enabled societies (Africa etc) Thank god for the Internet...

• Quandry
    Quandry

It was 1973 and the big A was due in 1975.

I really wanted, though, to serve God. I bought into everything the WTS said. I was the faithful bathroom scrubbing dub. I looked up everything in the WTS literature before making a decision. When in doubt I left it out. That included education and a good job. Now, over thirty years later, I am wiser but really poor......

• gespro
    gespro

Just figured the beatings would stop, but I didn't realize the mental/emotional beatings were to start after baptism.

I've forgotton how old I was when my brother and I got baptized...me 8 or 9. He was 4 years older. It seemed to be the only thing that put my mother into a good mood and a smile on her face - whenever we would talk about baptism. I was hoping it would put an end to her midnite rantings and her physical abuse...I've had my head bashed in with a metal towel rack on the very top of my head because of her fits of anger. She was great foe throwing and stabbing...truely a sick woman. And where were the 'brothers' in the congregation? Tending to their own dysfunctional families, no doubt.

I've worked on my own recovery and achieved some peace until that woman died a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm grieving over a missing childhood that never will be...

• changeling
    changeling

I was 10 and my best friend was 12. She got baptized so I decided to get baptized too.

I made my dedication while jumping up and down on my parents bed and watching Neil Arsmtrong land on the moon.

changeling

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

I was a lonely, naive, people-pleasing, brainwashed misfit of a 13-year-old.

I was soon a slightly less lonely 15-year-old misfit with an enormous rebellious streak when I was d'f'ed for my unrepentance over "not wanting to be a JW" anymore after I had pretended to repent of smoking and back-slid into it again and again.

It took me a long time to stop acting out like a 15-year-old. Thank goodness for therapy!

Edited to add: jehovah's witnesses' black and white world can keep us locked into black and white patterns long, long after we leave da troof behind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit