Christmas Is Not Pagan!

by Sarah Smiles 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

10 But the angel said to them: “Have no fear, for, look! I am declaring to YOU good news of a great joy that all the people will have, 11 because there was born to YOU today a Savior, who is Christ [the] Lord, in David’s city. 12 And this is a sign for YOU : YOU will find an infant bound in cloth bands and lying in a manger.” 13 And suddenly there came to be with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army, praising God and saying: 14 “Glory in the heights above to God, and upon earth peace among men of goodwill.”

OK, is this proof enough? This comes straight from Luke 2 right from their own Bible! Notice the celebration right in heaven when Jesus was born. Is this not what Christmas means? And so what if the date got confused by the early Catholic church? They are still celebrating in this fashion, though with material things (angels have no material needs) like Christmas trees and gifts.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

The was very interesting Lady Liberty! more the reason to celebrate his birth!

Wow WTWizard! I forgot all about that scripture which book? so I can look it up again! I think that is why on the radio they play Christmas songs during December!

I was not allowed to listen to the Christmas songs growing up, now I look forward to hearing them. But it was a couple of years ago that I would still flip the channels thinking they were pagan!

As far as the other replies with various books and encylopedias! They are still comparing Christmas with pagans and that is the style of writing the WTBTS has used for years! Does it make Christmas a pagan holiday! NO, but it does make people think of it as pagan! They did a good thing getting pagans to sing songs about Christ. Although, I wish they would have left some of their pagan stuff out of the celebration. But like another poster, you make it you own. I think I can try to leave the pagan stuff out! Yule stuff.

If angels can rejoice and sing for our new KING than so can Christains and it is not a pagan holiday.

Although I was thinking about getting a nice tree until I saw in Jeramiah and how Jehovah does not like people bringing trees in the house to decorate. I would rather please God than to please myself with a tree! It is part of that desire in me to really want a tree! so I guess I will need to get a live tree for the outside. I do need to read that scripture to see if it applies to modern day Christmas trees!

Thanks WTWizard and LadyLiberty!

• greendawn
    greendawn

It is pagan in origin no doubt about that but it makes no difference because it was christianised the church did not adopt it to bring in pagan influences but rather subjected those influences to its own ones.

Only a neurotic hair splitting mind would raise issues about the distant origins of something that today are of no consequence whatsoever. Nobody even knows today of saturn, the sun god and yule and what have you.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

JOIN THE DOTS! I can tell you were raised as a JDUB, it the same way of thinking! Find articles to match your way of thinking ( although you no longer care) Did you look up the scriptures to that article or did you just find it on the net and post it! Once again it is an abuse of scriptures to prove their points! Christmas is pagan and one should stay awary from Idols. It has nothing to do with Idols! The only carved idols I see during Christmas would be the figurines, something free standing! I am sure most of that church you posted members have plenty of carved images in their houses like in the form of birds or a freestanding fish in the bathroom!

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Sarah Smiles,

Hi, I think you were talking to me. 'Join the Dots!' is part of my avatar. I offered that site as a different point of view, not necessarily mine. I don't care one way or the other whether xmas is pagan or not. Christianity is just as 'evil' to me. However things started out, the original meaning of xmas shouldn't affect us celebrating it. Guy Fawkes night started to celebrate the capture and burning of a man who wanted to blow up the houses of parliament- but over time it just changed into a night out for the family to enjoy fireworks. Xmas has changed too.

Tis the season to be jolly, miss.

• golf2
    golf2

IF, you believe in fabricated man made customs, so be it!

Golf

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

The only one who made the birth of Christ is our God, Jehovah! I see no fabrication there. Just people adding to the his birth. I like the singing like the angels above! It is bibical.

Jehovah's Witness teach that his birth is not important because he came here to die for us so his memorial is important. They teach that if his birth was important for us to keep, he would have said to keep his birthday. I disagree with them! Paul seem to think it was important for Christ newly gathered group of believers, or else they would have been swayed to pagans who did not know Jesus birth as well as his death and when he raised up to heavens.

It is important and should be to all Jehovah's Witness and exJehovah's Witnesses although I am not in exs. LOL

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Paul and the early Christians didn't celebrate Christmas. It started 2 or 3 hundred years later- I don't remember the exact date now.

Madtiger---

If you are married; do you wear a wedding ring? If so man, then you are participating in a pagan tradition. The wearing and exchanging of Wedding rings have pagan origins. Why do we wear wedding rings now? Tradition. Also, many of the traditions performed in a wedding are of pagan origin. But they are now done because of tradition.

Honestly, much of things we do today are rooted in paganism.

The point is that WE are not partaking in the light that the pagans intended. We are not worshipping their false God.

Also, to comment from another post: The birth of Jesus WAS important. If He had not have been born He could not have done what He did. Correctly, His death was the focus. But definately I am glad He was born and celebrate not only His birth but His death.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Christians decided to Christianise a Pagan holiday. Fact.

I'm a pagan. The pagan wheel of the year has a very definate mythology. At Yule 21 Dec, the God is born. This sparked a 7 day festival for the pagans, and 25th Dec is right in the middle of it. All the symbols of Christmas have their origins in the pagan festival.

However, if you are Christian, you can probably accept that the symbology itself isn't "evil" therefore celebrating it is alright if you celebrate it as the birth of Jesus.

I will celebrate it as the birth of Horus.

The whole pagan wheel of the year is mirrored in the Christian festivals. This is what Christians don't like to be told.

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit