let me be subtle...I HATE $@#!!%*$# HP

by knock knock 31 Replies latest jw friends

• knock knock
    knock knock

At least I am not the only one that has had these sort of problems - bad thing really. I'll have to save worldtraveller's comments for future reference. In this particular case however, it is a laptop and there are apparently issues with the motherboard itself. It failed to boot period and they say they are waiting on back ordered parts. hmmm. Send me a NEW computer is the way to resolve this I say.

As far as Dell goes, that is all we have at work and I don't have such a high opinion of them. My boss is the unfortunate one that has on occasion had to deal with the Tech Support for hours on end. I prefer to google the problem and find quick real world solutions from others that have had the problem before me.

I need to break down and get XP pro for my newly built computer so I can get started doing some video editing - Premiere/After Effects incompatible with Vista. Photoshop and Illustrator are ready to run in about 5 seconds - as opposed to 30 to 45 seconds on the P4 Dell at work - so I think this machine will fly once I get it set up correctly. Very seriously considering going to Mac though. People I know that have them absolutely love the things. Not so the PC world.

Anyways, still waiting for the HP caseworker - more appropriate than case manager I think - to call. Unbelievably horrible company. That's all I have to say about that. For now. ;)

• JK666
    JK666

HP has good printers, and okay PC's. I have a desktop HP that is 5 years old, and the hard drive just bit the big one. Fortunately, I backed up the hard drive externally prior to this happening. The partitioned hard drive backing up itself was a stupid idea. They just wanted to avoid sending a backup disk with each machine. CHEAP!

It's been okay, but I would have rather had a Dell. I bought it because I had a computer fry, and I needed one NOW.

With customer service, my biggest problems have been on a Toshiba.

JK

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Is it such a big surprise that the really cheap notebooks and desktops have such poor customer service? For a very cheap computer, once you subtract the cost of materials, assembly, shipping, and profit, well, there's not just much left for decent customer service.

I recommend Apple Macintosh notebooks as I've had many years of good experience with them. Yes, they do cost more, some US$1,100 for the entry level MacBook. But you get quite a bit for the money, and you can get one in person (so to speak) if you're not too far away from an Apple Store. And if the machine has a problem, you can take it back locally and speak with people who have understandable accents.

For the record, I paid US$2,500 for a MacPro desktop and the same for a MacPro notebook and I have no regrets. For those with a tight budget, I suggest considering the US$600 MacMini if you already have (or are willing to buy) a separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

All the new Apple computers can run Windows as well, although you'll have to pay extra for the software if you go this route. They can also run Linux, and that's free. But most owners are satisfied with the installed OS and applications. For the cognoscenti, Mac OS/X is based on OpenBSD Unix and includes X Windows, so there's plenty of free stuff available for porting.

• knock knock
    knock knock

Finally got a call from a case manager. He says they are shipping me a new upgraded computer...in 10 to 14 days. Good Grief. It won't be a Compaq but rather a good ol' comparable HP. whaaaaaaaaa. Whatever, I just want this ordeal over with so I can go on to the next ordeal.

Just wanted to end rant and perhaps kill this thread off. Thanks for the tips/tricks & advice. Sorry for the trouble any of you might be having dealing with this type of thing too...now or in the future.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Just as a suggestion , it seems a better way to purchase a computer, is to have one made up for you by a local computer store, rather than have one made by a

large corporate company , in essence building your own with the select components that you need and not the ones you don't, plus you have the advantage of calling

people locally who know you and your system .

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

bought a compaq............... peice of crap yeah............... got the warrantey from best buy. just to cover my ass................ first time something went wrong it was in the day of dial up and the modem got fried.............. took it back.

they wanted to send the damn thing to dallas and have me a 6 to 8 week turn around time and then while it was there you have to add the time it takes to do the work......... so could be a minimum of a month and a half and up to three months................. for a damn 20-40 dolla modem .......... bought the modem and installed it myself.......... SCREW WARRANTEES

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Just as a suggestion , it seems a better way to purchase a computer, is to have one made up for you by a local computer store. . . in essence building your own with the select components that you need and not the ones you don't, plus you have the advantage of calling people locally who know you and your system .

This can be quite expensive if you buy all the components that you want. A cheaper way is to buy the box, CPU and the motherboard and then use parts from your old computer, sound card, video card, memory cards, CD-RW and/or DVD-RW, etc. This way you ger exactly what you want for a pretty good price. A couple of blocks from where I live there is a small conputer store. The guys in there have been helpful and I would go to them if I needed to. I would trust them a lot further than I would trust the larger companies who might try to convince me that I had to buy new parts

• erynw
  • drew sagan
    drew sagan
    . I love my iMac.

Ditto!

I have found IBM to be reliable in the PC market if that is a necessity, but otherwise I stick with my mac. I would avoid hp, dell, and all other consumer brands like the plague.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I'd have to agree with you Drew, Imacs are more reliable thats true, they do also cost more than your average PC

and there is lots of software that is not written for the Macs, it's a bit of a toss up based on what kind of software your planing to use

and what you can afford, I personally build my own systems, PC, using only quality parts that I know that are reliable. It does take a bit of research

and time but I usually end up with a system that is enjoyable to use and reliable. I'll just list typical items on a system build, so that people know what they can

buy / computer case , power supply, mother board, cpu, ram chips, sound card , video card, modems if needed, DVD burner, keyboard , mouse and monitor.

So once you've researched what part you want you can then price match these parts on the net and save money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit