let me be subtle...I HATE $@#!!%*$# HP

by knock knock 31 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

I built my last couple of computers. It's not any cheaper, but I like being able to install and pay for precisely the components I want. Also, it's nice installing a standard copy of the operating system without the myriad of junk programs most manufacturers include with their pc's. I find my home built computer runs faster than name brand systems with much greater specifications.

• poppers
    poppers

I like their printers, but have heard horror stories about their PCs. I love my iMac.

• BrentR
    BrentR

It's not my most expensive hobby but it's up there. A friend of mine is a tech so I can talk him out of alot of componets and then if I can't get them to install or work right then I bug him again for help. I am sure that he has a picture of a hemorrhoid on his cell phone that pops up when I call him. But he is also into knives and he knows where to go to get a custom one built for him and I have never charged him so far.

• knock knock
    knock knock

At work we have a couple of HP printers - older ones. I hate them too! Slow as can be even when they were new. A couple of scanners...hate 'em! The software that came with each is useless and the things just plain do not work. The laser printer is the only piece of HP equipment that seems to actually work as it should.

I have another laptop, off brand, cheap. No problems with it. It has been my workhorse for awhile but it's showing it's age and the new cat has attacked it a few times ripping off 1 key so far and scratched the screen. Playful little so and so. I've got an old emachine desktop that needs some attention but is pretty reliable. Then there's the desktop I just built for graphics. Core Duo, SATA, decent graphics card for what I need but I stupidly bought Vista to put on it instead of XP pro. Now some of my graphics programs it turns out are incompatible with Vista. It's always something. Other than that, I have a couple of other computers loaned out to family. So, it's not like I HAVE to have it and hence my patience but enough is too much.

Any new desktops I'll build myself. Is it as common to DIY a new laptop? I can insert tab x into slot y till the cows - formerly gateway - come home but I CANNOT DEAL WITH CUSTOMER DIS-SERVICE!!!!

sorry for that last bit of yelling :)

• BrentR
    BrentR

We know that you are yelling with us and not at us. Customer service is a vanishing concept and I am very shocked when I do get it these days.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I started to build my own computer but could never get my kitchen oven hot enough to melt the sand into silicon. I, too, have had my share of long conversations with people in India, 80% of which were a big waste of time and energy. HP is not my fave company but as I look around the office I see I have my share of it.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I hear you Loud and clear

That's why I learned to fix it myself --- saves $$$$ and aggravation

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Ok - here is an answer to most HP problems. If you have a pavillion with a small hard drive partitioned like most, your os is hidden there. I have ran into virus after virus and it is very easy to clean it up.

Before you turn on the machine, press and hold the f10 key. Press power and release the f10 key about 5 seconds later. You will enter system recovery (not restore). Follow the info on the screen- choose the basic install so you CAN save your data. You will have to reinstall some programs, but your machine will be cleaned up in 15 minutes. It's worked perfect for me several times. Please be advised you will have to install your av program before you go to windows update for minimal protection. If your av program is old, update AFTER you update your windows. Good luck.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with HP! We've got HP Printers (standalone and combination printer/scanner/fax/copy), and my folks have an HP PC, too...no troubles yet....

My suggestion? Make friends with a PC nerd. They're usually starving, and will probably help you with your problem.

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Its been 3 months huh? You could have put $200 away each month by now & purchased a sweet Dell. Then sold your HP when they were done fixing it. I do a lot of graphics on multiple Dells, and never really have any problems. For you MAC lovers, MACS are just a more expensive way to do graphics, with the same results. Save your money, go PC. Avoid PC problems by keeping up with your Anti-virus and spam software, avoid pop-ups, be carefull of software you install, make sure all the things you add to your PC are compatible, dont install things you dont need. Disc defrag regularly, clean out your temp files, etc, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit