I am going to an Atheist banquet w/ my girlfriends!

by sweetface2233 13 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

Lore,

I'm gonna save that one for future reference.

Have fun Sweetface!

• Gopher
    Gopher

A banquet? Sounds fun! I belong to "Atheists Minnesota", and they had a fundraiser dinner (that I couldn't attend) where the price was the "ungodly low amount" of $6.66.

Because you've already decided there isn't a God then what are you actually going to discuss at this convention?

What I've heard discussed at the atheist meetings I've attended is science and political-social issues, i.e., using conversation in the news media and other forums to help people see the need to keep religious fundamentalism out of political decisions and out of school curricula.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I did have a lot of fun, guys. I met some nice people. One guy sat down next to me and was completely trashed. It was funny at first, but he is apparently a touchy feely drunk and was putting his arms around me and I did get a little uncomfortable. Luckily, there were 2 other guys at the table who were telling him to tone it down and he backed off. I was asked by others of my background and when I mentioned that I was raised as a JW, their ears popped up like a puppy's. I mentioned how much this website has enocouraged and strengthed me and how I have made some great friends. When I told them that I am now considered an apostate to the JW faith, they gave me "high-fives"...LOL. Interestly enough, one of the gents had been friending me on myspace and I kept denying him because one, I didn't know him, and two, my lappy kept locking up when I would try to view his page. He is actually the founder/organizer of the Beltway Atheists. He and I spoke about how I can get involved in the meet-ups and possibly organizing an atheist cycling event. I'm not sure if it would be a fund raiser or just an outing for the group. Either way, I am excited about the new connections that I have made.

Julia Sweeney was great. She was presented an award and introduced Richard Dawkins. She has finished her movie "Letting Go of God" and has submitted it for release at the Sundance Film Festival. I, however, did not get to meet her. She retired to her room when the banquet was over. I tried my best, though. I was searching the room for her as if I was 12 and she were a member of The New Kids on the Block. I am going to check w/ the Atheist Alliance to see if they could either forward an email or give me a possible mailing address for her. She has been such a big inspiration to me.

Thanks to all for the well wishes on my evening. We had a blast!!

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Cool, sounds like you had fun!

Maybe I'll be able to attend something like this soon.

How long was it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit