Cloth Diapers

by reneeisorym 48 Replies latest social family

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym
    If you don't have a willing, cooperative, patient husband it can be quite the burden.

I can definately see where that is true. My ex-husband never lifted a finger. This one though is wonderful. He actually washes all of the clothes we have now. He washes dishes and vacuums. We divide the chores up and work together wonderfully. I just know he'll make a great father. When I mentioned cloth diapers he actually said, "But then I would have to wash more clothes and I'm afraid I would have to puke seeing the poop when I changed diapers" .. I thought it was sweet that he didn't even consider that I could wash them and he realized he would be chaning diapers! :)

• NoLoveLost
    NoLoveLost

I loved cloth diapers (kissaluvs) and the diaper wraps (bummies) that we ended up using. We installed a sprayer onto the toilet and just sprayed the diapers off. Check E-bay, sometimes you can get lucky if price is an issue. My daughter always got a rash with disposables - even regular baby wipes make her bottom break out. I didn't find it to be too much more of a hassle than disposables. You can always do both. Do cloth at home and then use disposables when out or traveling. And, just my two cents, breastfeeding is one of the greatest things you can do for your new baby! But if you are going to use formula, Nestle has a new formula out that includes probiotics similar to the gastrointestinal flora found in the intestines of breastfed babies.

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

I have three children and used disposable for all...I saw my sister and her experience with the cloth. It just looked like alot of work for a minimum benefit. Plus I did notice alot of rashes. With her second child she went disposable. I think it depends on you and your time..Maybe with your first child it will be easier...depends also if you get an easygoing baby or one that is demanding...

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym
    I loved cloth diapers (kissaluvs) and the diaper wraps (bummies) that we ended up using. We installed a sprayer onto the toilet and just sprayed the diapers off. Check E-bay, sometimes you can get lucky if price is an issue. My daughter always got a rash with disposables - even regular baby wipes make her bottom break out. I didn't find it to be too much more of a hassle than disposables. You can always do both. Do cloth at home and then use disposables when out or traveling. And, just my two cents, breastfeeding is one of the greatest things you can do for your new baby! But if you are going to use formula, Nestle has a new formula out that includes probiotics similar to the gastrointestinal flora found in the intestines of breastfed babies.

I'm definately going to breastfeed! A friend of mine has a newborn and she won't take to the nipple and so she has to pump and put it in a bottle. I really hape that doesn't happen to me! Thanks for your opinion NoLoveLost. I'm happy to hear from someone who has tried the new ones.

• restrangled
    restrangled

My sons are 23 and 20. We only used disposables. When I was growing up, I remember the diaper pail smell, .....incredible! The dirties were picked up and new delivered. Does that service still exsist?

I wouldn't even consider cloth diapers in this day and age.

Breast feeding is the only way to go. Forget the damn formula. Breast feeding burns calories like you wouldn't believe getting you back to your prepregnancy weight in no time.....with no excersize! The BM's are much easier to deal with, your child is healthier and research has shown smarter too! Further research shows breast fed children tend to maintain normal weight later in childhood.

You also are relieved of periods for quite a sometime. Not that you cannot get pregnant but your body relieves you of the stress of it for about 4 to 6 months.

Also remember while your new baby is getting immunizations, those pathogens are still alive in their waste, so having filthy bacterial and virus ladden diapers in the home is another concern especially if you yourself were not immunized properly or never were.

In the first 2 months there is the DTP shot:

Diptheria, Tetnus and Pertussis(Whooping Cough)

Also MMR: (Measels, Mumps and Rubella) I think now they also add Chicken Pox. plus liquid Polio vaccine.

So its best to get this nasty stuff bagged and out of the atmosphere of your home.

r.

• restrangled
    restrangled
    I'm definately going to breastfeed! A friend of mine has a newborn and she won't take to the nipple and so she has to pump and put it in a bottle. I really hape that doesn't happen to me!

Renee.....

This happened to me with my first. The Pediatrician (65 years old at the time) told me, "Who is the expert here? You or the baby? When he gets hungry enough, he'll cooperate! So as exhausted as I was with all the bawling, and struggling, I held firm and kept offering him nursing, no formula, just water. Sure enough he got it. He became so addicted, I couldn't get him to quit until he was almost 3 years old.

My son developed Jaundice in the hospital, so they told me not to nurse him which was BS! When we arrived home I spent three exhaustive days trying to get him restarted and thought it was over.

When he received his first Shot, which included the vaccine Pertussis, he screamed for 2 hours and then went limp as a rag and was not recovering....no response, no life......for a week! His pediatrician told me the only thing that saved him was breast feeding......to this day, his nervous system is very delicate. He never received another whooping cough shot.

r

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Renee,

I this is a lot of advice to absorb but when you have your baby and are waiting for your milk to come down do not let the nurses talk you into giving your baby sugar water. It delays the baby's need to suck and you will need that baby to suck in order to stimulate your milk production. Colostrum (the thick yellow fluid that the breasts first make)that comes before the breastmilk is actually good for the baby and that and the reserves that the baby has stored should carry until your milk lets down.

I had a birth plan for all of my births and that was one of the requests that I made and expected to be carried out, thankfully I didn't have any complications to hamper that request...make that a demand.

Josie

• Mulan
    Mulan

Cloth is so much better I think. When our kids were in diapers, disposables were not what they are now. Emergency, and vacations only.

By the time we had our fourth baby in 1979, they were in much more general use. But, he was very fair, red headed, and had extremely sensitive skin. We opted for a diaper service which was MUCH cheaper than buying all those diapers. I highly recommend them.

We still used disposables when we traveled, but he always had a sore bottom from them.

• bluebell
    bluebell

Why not do both? My sister does. The new style cloth nappies (I'm UK hehe) are alot easier and the plastic pant things that go over are much better too, but I think you do still have to be careful with leaking but like you used to. Mix and match depending on what you are doing, disposable for out and about and cloth at home?

• Apostate Kate2
    Apostate Kate2

Mrs Jones I am convinced healthy breastmilk makes a big difference in children's health. I don't know why so many young mothers have such a difficult time with it. So many have said they didn't have enough milk. All you need to do is drink more water and let them suck longer. Nipples will get sore but that's only at the beginning. What I did was cut the tips out of some bras before the baby was born. Your nipples rub against your clothes and get toughened up. Researchers have found mercury and other contaminants in breastmilk so mom's need to eat as much organic plant based proteins they can.

Renee I'm so happy you found a wonderful man. It sure makes being married a good thing. My hubby is so sweet he does so many loving things for me. He's so thoughtful. I wished I'd have met him 27 years ago, he would have been a great dad. My kids love and respect him, he's my best friend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit