Computer Security Advice

by ColdRedRain 31 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

Here is some help regarding this problem from another source:

Windows Fanactics
    How Do I Run An Anti-Virus Scan If I Can't Boot?

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/windows/2006/07/25/how-do-i-run-an-anti-virus-scan-if-i-cant-boot

The article recommends using BartPE,

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

This looks like it is useful advice.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

For outside help with a virus-if you still can get to your home page, I suggest using TrendMicro-Housecalls. It's an outside viruscheck. Your inside virus check could be compormised. For spyware I use spybot. I hear adaware is good too.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

If your computer is completely messed up and you have little need to save all your files, you should just reinstall the operating system. If you have the recovery discs, do it. If you have HP, hold down f10 while starting up ,and reinstall. Use the short version-it will save files, but not your software.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Since that particular Trojan this fellow has will let you boot, I'm expecting he might have gone into the registrar and tried to remove some files himself

and this could be the reason he can't boot now. One of the most highly rated spy-ware removal tools in the industry is Spy-ware Doctor by PC Tools

it's helped me out a couple of times when the other programs will not.

I personally have Norton 2007 running all the time with Spy-ware doctor in the back ground when needed ( Vista )

By the way I'd thought I should mention that I.E 7 in Vista has dramatically improved the security of I.E so those types of attacks are thwarted

• fresia
    fresia
    Since that particular Trojan this fellow has will let you boot, I'm expecting he might have gone into the registrar and tried to remove some files himself

I suspect this as well. One thing I do is always have a download on disc of my registrar. I have had problems in the past with virus's and have reinstalled windows, and still would get problems. Could have problems with hard disc. In the end I got a new computer, not saying that is the only option for you, but mine was a second hand one to begin with and I was having problems with it all the time.

Good luck.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

i belive that virus can be killed by downloading (when you can) smitfraudfix and then bringing up your comp in safe mode......... running the program...... and then restarting once you have deleted those files.

i personally use uniblue for virus protection....... i have their registry booster to clean up that their virus scan and their spyware scan....... also speed up my pc which absolutely ROCKS

• VM44
    VM44

Do not use McAfee or Norton....they will slow your computer speed down to a snail's pace!

Use these two free programs: AVG anti-virus and the free edition of ZoneAlarm for firewall protection. Together they offer excellent protection at zero cost without slowing down your computer.

--VM44

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Install Windows into a separate directory such as C:\windows2. This will allow you to run windows and back up your data to a USB drive. Then format your drive and do a clean install of Windows. Install antivirus and firewall software. I use both Kapersky Internet Security and Bitdefender. They're both excellent products, and have had better reviews than either McAfee or Symantec products. They're not free. Install the Windows security updates.

Make sure your antivirus "on access scanner" is enabled before you plug in your USB drive to restore your data.

W

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I have not looked up the specifics on the virus in question (couldn't be bothered as I have to go somewhere shortly). But in general, you could try 1 of several possible methods if you can't boot:

• connect the hard drive as a secondary drive (on another computer, preferably with the same OS), run a manual scan for viruses on that drive (using up-to-date virus definitions!), and copy any missing or corrupted files that are preventing startup from the working system (such as the lsass.dll file you indicated) - this could require a fair amount of swapping of drives, depending on how many files are missing/corrupted. This method may leave settings in the registry that relate to the virus, but infected files themselves would be gone, so the settings could do no harm. A follow-up scan once up and running could remove those settings. Recommended option.
    • boot from the XP CD and reinstall Windows, selecting the option to repair (but not the 'Recovery Console' repair option). Then do a complete scan for viruses with updated definitions. Does not guarantee removal of virus.
    • completely reformat the drive and reinstall from scratch. If you don't have a backup of your data, not recommended.
    • boot from the XP CD and use the Recovery Console method to restore corrupt files to make the drive bootable, update your virus definitions and run another scan. Not recommended if you're not sure what you're doing.
    • boot from the XP CD and reinstall Windows over the top of the existing installation. Messy, not recommended.
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

And, as a last resort, you might have to make a service call. Reformatting the hard drive usually takes care of the problem but will destroy any data you had and make you set up your computer as if it was brand new. Bear in mind that a service call is likely to cost you around $100. If you bring your computer to a repair shop, they will likely charge you $50-100 as well plus it will be there a week or so.

If you have tried everything including killing the power and hitting F10 repeatedly during startup, and nothing is working, then this may be your only option. Be prepared to lose some or all the data on the hard drive. There is also the outside chance that parts of your hard drive are ruined. Some viruses do target the Zero Sector of the hard drive, in which case it is probably ruined. Aside this, there is a pretty good chance that they can get your computer up and running.

In the future, I would look into a different antivirus program along with the one you are currently running. No program is perfect, and one will pick up something the other will miss. Look for one that protects against spyware as well--a virus can ruin your computer, while spyware can allow people access to account numbers and assist them in stealing your identity. For this reason, a good antispyware program is essential along with the antivirus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit