Computer Security Advice

by ColdRedRain 31 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I was on this website that loaded this crap trojan horse called WinAntiSpyware on my computer and it ended up making my computer unbootable. Would I be able to do a repair install on my computer and then install antivirus software on the repaired computer?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Have you tried booting into safe mode (hitting F8 on boot)? You could probably download antivirus and spyware software and run it.

Just another reason to run linux :)

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

You could try two other things, 1.) Do a "System Restore" back to Yesterday's date, i.e. if you got the virus today. or 2.) get an anti-virus program installed and download the latest anti-virus definitons and scan your PC to hopefully catch it.

Your idea, I have no answer to that one. Hopefully someone in here knows more than me?

LINDA

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Well, I would try all those solutions except the computer does. not. boot. at. all.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Trojans usually will let you boot but then hijack your system in an other way

can you at least boot into safe mode ?

And why were you running a system without an anti-virus program anyways.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Again. I. Cannot. Boot. Windows. At. All. And I did have an antivirus program, it was AVG and AVG didn't pick up the virus because it's so new.

• avengers
    avengers

Once you get your computer going go to this site .

I use it on all my computers and it catches all that crap.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-products/us/frt/0?prd=aff

Good luck.

Andy

edited to add: Oops I didn't see your last post as I was typing you posted it.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

what OS are you using

Does it at least post when you hit the power button ?

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I don't mean to be rude, but how does installing a program after the fact answer the question of if I can do a repair install on the hard drive or not?

Re: OS. I'm using Windows XP home edition, hence WinAntiSpyware.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Goggling this virus it states that it will let you boot, so you must have another problem either than that

I'm sorry to say, the computer might have a hardware problem

Do you at least have any power there ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit